Old 30-07-2015, 03:54 PM
MelD (Melvyn)
Mel Davis

ZWO ASI174MM Newbie Question

Hi All.
I have a 714mm 102 Orion Triplet (CF) on an AZ/EQ6 GT mount. The imaging chain is:
a 2" Vixen flip mirror, a Xagyl 5-filter colour wheel, 1.25" Astronomik RGB filter set, then the ZWO at the end of the wheel. That gives me about 9 mm back focus on the draw tube.
I am using the latest version of FireCapture.
Any ideas why I am getting tiny (half frame) "porthole" Luna images? I thought I might be up for 2" filters and wheel but thankfully that does not appear to be necessary. But it does appear that something is masking the image.
I am using FireCapture's Moon preset.
Advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mel
Old 30-07-2015, 04:43 PM
hobbit

You may need to check the roi settings in firecapture
Old 31-07-2015, 01:44 PM
MelD (Melvyn)
Mel Davis

ZWO ASI174MM vignettes

Thanks for you suggestion. What should the setting normally be?
Regards,
Mel
Old 31-07-2015, 03:15 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

The settings should normally be what works for your gear and targets. IE you need to try and learn the software, test things and work it out. The preset are just suggested starting points to help you get your first image, they are NOT optimal settings by any means. The Moon is a perfect target to spend a weekend testing and learning, its very bright so you'll need fast shutter speeds (low exposure times). Dont go changing more than one setting at a time and see what effect it has on what you expect, take notes, doesnt take long for you to get some starting settings for moon, jupiter, venus etc which you can tweak on the night as changes in target magnitude occur. My aim with new gear or software is to just "get an image" then work from there towards getting a good image then getting the best from the setup. you have to work at refining how you use what you have, its never just "use these settings".
Old 03-08-2015, 06:14 AM
MelD (Melvyn)
Mel Davis

Zwo asi174mm

Thanks for the wisdom, Sil.
I guess my enthusiasm to get some images from the new toy was tinged with impatience. I should be old enough and wise enough to know that in imaging, few things work first time! And if they do, one probably does not get understand the device in depth, never having go struggle with it.
So thanks to you, I now have a plan!
Thanks,
Mel