GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)
bewise betold neverbecold

7Timer Weather

7Timer is alive again

www.7timer.info

geoff
Old 11-10-2018, 10:34 AM
ecuador

Just wanted to point out that not only is it alive, but since this March I have donated a server, to which the 7Timer developer installed the service. So, the main site, www.7timer.info is currently pointing to a reliable server, although the old server at the Shanghai Astronomical Observatory is theoretically still online (unreachable right now).
My main motivation, apart from using the service myself, is due to having spent time to design Xasteria, the iOS 7Timer client and it was a shame to have it not working part of the time.
In case it is not familiar, this is how Xasteria looks:
https://astro.ecuadors.net/wp-conten...t-18.56.07.png

Shameless plug, but it is after all a free app with no ads - and it will remain that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Simulator-Screen-Shot-iPhone-4s-2018-09-04-at-18.56.07.png)
157.1 KB18 views
Old 11-10-2018, 03:48 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)
bewise betold neverbecold

we owe you a great debt

i for one, can not do without my 7Timer

geoff
Old 11-10-2018, 04:24 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Good job on the app and hosting! Thanks mate!
Old 12-10-2018, 05:22 AM
ecuador

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB_an_Owl View Post
we owe you a great debt

i for one, can not do without my 7Timer

geoff
You're welcome. For me it is by far the easiest to read at a glance, however due to being based on the GFS some areas with microclimates (mountainous regions etc) are not that well forecast. Is it reasonably good down under?
Old 12-10-2018, 07:57 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuador View Post
You're welcome. For me it is by far the easiest to read at a glance, however due to being based on the GFS some areas with microclimates (mountainous regions etc) are not that well forecast. Is it reasonably good down under?
We have a regional ACCESS model downunder which seems to be more accurate than GFS.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:49 AM
ecuador

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
We have a regional ACCESS model downunder which seems to be more accurate than GFS.
Interesting, you can compare the two and they only sort of agree about half the time from a few locations I tried
The high-res ACCESS-C for large cities should have an advantage. 7Timer is not just GFS though, it's main job is to calculate astro-seeing, which it does reasonably well (it seems to be more accurate than cloud cover in the UK ), so it's always been part of my meteo sources. Basically I cross-check 2-3 sources, aim for what seems to be the consensus for my best chance, go out and find an overcast sky...
Old 12-10-2018, 02:33 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuador View Post
Basically I cross-check 2-3 sources, aim for what seems to be the consensus for my best chance, go out and find an overcast sky...
That's what CFN is all about. You can compare cloud meteograms and forecast maps both GFS and ACCESS for the same time period and if the models are in accordance then your odds are better. There's also near real-time radar maps, satellite maps, and a dark sky section that consolidates data to give an estimation of seeing conditions, surface wind, cloud cover and moon phase. It's got it all in one location.
Old 13-10-2018, 09:51 AM
Shano592 (Shane)

Hi Ecuador, I have used 7-timer for years, along with AstroPanel on Android, which points to the 7-timer data.

Thanks so much for getting this back up and live.

Data from behind the Great Firewall can be a little hit and miss, and it is great the site is now so responsive again.

Thanks again.