Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 22-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Phil Hart

2012 Eclipse Weather Project: capture forecast and satellite images through Nov 2010

To aid planning for the 14th November 2012 solar eclipse in Cairns, it would be great to capture a sequence of satellite images and corresponding forecast model charts throughout November 2010 and 2011. This would aid selection of optimum sites and also teach us a lot about how to make decisions on the day before the eclipse (eg. how accurate the models are).

I can try and manually save a series of satellite images and model charts every morning for a month but there must be better ways to do it than that! Can anybody help?

Here's what I'd like to capture at a minimum for each day in November 2010:
  1. 7:30am Queensland black & white infrared satellite image from weatherzone (or other source). Need to be registered (free)
  2. Day ahead cloud forecasts from US Global Forecast System for Total Cloud, Low Cloud, Middle Cloud and High Cloud. Either via SkippySky or direct from US site (instructions at bottom of page here: http://philhart.com/content/cloud-forecasts-astronomers)
  3. Day ahead 'synthetic cloud forecast charts' from Australian BoM 'ACCESS-A' weather model available here (cropped to match Queensland satellite image): http://www.cawcr.gov.au/staff/ljr/pr...rcs/ani_a.html

Check out my page on cloud forecasts for a whole lot more background on weather and cloud forecasts.

Notes:

Satellite Images:
Ideally would capture complete satellite image sequence for each day in November, but 7:30am image is probably best single choice. Earlier in the day, the sun is low and contrast between ground and low cloud in the satellite image is poor. Any later in the day and cloud starts to change significantly with solar influence. (A little later than eclipse time is probably valid to reflect lower heat gain on eclipse morning).

Skippy Sky: If we ask really nicely, Andrew Cool may be able to setup a forecast page for Far North Queensland, or all of Queensland to match the satellite image?

Synoptic Chart: Probably also worth capturing a synoptic chart to go with each day as well. eg http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/synoptic_col.shtml

Let me know if anybody can setup a routine to capture this kind of stuff more easily than I can?!

cheers
Phil

Last edited by Phil Hart; 22-10-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 24-10-2010, 06:22 PM
andrew_d_cool (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiphart View Post
To aid planning for the 14th November 2012 solar eclipse in Cairns, it would be great to capture a sequence of satellite images and corresponding forecast model charts throughout November 2010 and 2011.
I can try and manually save a series of satellite images and model charts every morning for a month but there must be better ways to do it than that! Can anybody help?
cheers
Phil

Hi Phil,

I've sent you an email just now, Sun 1745 Adelaide time, pointing you to
an area on my website where I've placed a program to download Japanese
Met satellite images. If the image I've chosen is no good, or you'd prefere another image from another site, let me know. It would be easy enough to mod the code to download several images too.

All you have to do is set up a scheduled task to run once each day.

Regards,

Andrew Cool

PS: your email seems a bit flakey at the moment...
Old 06-12-2010, 01:24 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

Solar Radiation Maps 2010

Attached are the solar radiation maps for 13/11/10 and 14/11/10.
It was cloudy on 14/11/10 in the Cairns area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (11 13.gif)
21.9 KB17 views
Click for full-size image (11 14.gif)
20.7 KB17 views

Last edited by glenc; 06-12-2010 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:38 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

Solar Radiation Maps 2009

Attached are the solar radiation maps for 13/11/09 and 14/11/09.
It was dry back then and the Sun used to shine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (11 13.gif)
18.2 KB7 views
Click for full-size image (11 14.gif)
16.4 KB8 views
Old 20-12-2010, 07:42 AM
RWhite (Roman)

I've missed that chance this year, but have collected some satellite and webcam data during Nov.10-17 2009. If someone needs it, please contact me privately (email, ICQ).