Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-05-2015, 09:07 AM
garymck (Gary)

Choosing a mono camera

Hi,

I am considering a switch from OSC to mono.

I have an Sbig ST8300C, this is a really nice camera, and I have had zero issues with it, but since I am the centre of a large regional city - Geelong, I have become a bit frustrated with colour imaging due light pollution and the resultant gradients that arise. These are made worse since in Geelong, late in the evening, we seem to get a lot of moist air that reduces transparency and reflects the cities light.

I figure I would be most productive if I went narrow band - primarily H Alpha...

I have a couple of options:

Get a new mono cam - max budget around $2500, keep ST8300c- perhaps combining OSC images with H Alpha.

Sell St8300C, Get new Mono cam max budget around $3500 (assuming I got $1000 for ST8300C in the classifieds.)

Camera choice seems to be:

QHY9
Atik 414EX
Atik 428EX
Atik 383L+

Cant see much around the $3500 mark... More $ is not really an option.

The 414 and 428 are small chips, but have hugely better QE than KAF8300 chips particularly at H Alpha band..... the main difference between them seems to be pixel size

I will be imaging at around 600mm,950mm and 1800mm.

So if narrow band is the choice, what would you do.....??

cheers
Gary
Old 22-05-2015, 09:19 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

don't forget you need to buy the filters as well (and filterwheel - although QHY9 comes with a filterwheel)... how does that impact your budget?

if the camera budget was around $3500 (without filters/wheel) what about the atik 460 or QHY22? with the awesome ICX694 chip?

Another option is in the meantime to buy a Ha filter and use it with your existing cam.
Old 22-05-2015, 09:29 AM
garymck (Gary)

Hi,
should have mentioned I already have a 7nm Baader HAlpha filter. Not including filter wheel in the cost - could get that later.

Would like a lot more sensitivity in Narrow band than OSC gives....

cheers
Gary
Old 22-05-2015, 12:15 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Sent you a PM Gary.
Old 22-05-2015, 11:46 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Before dropping big going on a new camera setup, have you tried software removal of gradients? People swear by DBE in Pixinsight... I'd check it out first, before abandoning ship
Old 23-05-2015, 04:24 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Agreed - DBE does a fantastic job!

I am in a red zone as far as LP goes. I use an IDAS LP filter, and find I don't even have to gradient subtract. Only small niggle is I need to background neutralise in CCDStack (or PI as well) as it lends a blue cast if using an OSC. With mono, it doesn't seem to, but I still do anyway.