Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 13-06-2019, 05:38 PM
Wilso

Takahashi FSQ 130ed no more!

Just checked the Takahashijapan website and looks like the Tak FSQ 130ed is now discontinued !!
Wonder why
They don’t give any reason on their site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ABA0F934-C259-4EE3-AECF-D89BF67CF6B1.png)
139.5 KB141 views
Old 13-06-2019, 06:09 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Never heard of FSQ 130 microscope

But more seriously, I believe it it just natural selection in action - too much effort (read:cost) and consequently few buyers. IMHO FSQ 130 is really a wide-field astrograph and as such FSQ 106 provides a wider field while still catering for the largest available sensors. If one is after high resolution astro-imaging then larger aperture is required.
Old 13-06-2019, 06:28 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Why pay $14,000 when scopes are available, for way way way less these days and the quality is there now
Old 13-06-2019, 06:47 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
Why pay $14,000 when scopes are available, for way way way less these days and the quality is there now
If you have never owned a Takahashi scope you will never understand. Having owned a few Takahashi scopes (FS,FSQ's Refractors and Mewlon) the quality is still above the competition which sells for less. Plus the FSQ's are a four element scope with two ED elements so you can't compare the price against a triplet which only have one ED element except for the Takahashi TOA's which have two.
Old 13-06-2019, 06:56 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
If you have never owned a Takahashi scope you will never understand. Having owned a few Takahashi scopes (FS,FSQ's Refractors and Mewlon) the quality is still above the competition which sells for less. Plus the FSQ's are a four element scope with two ED elements so you can't compare the price against a triplet which only have one ED element except for the Takahashi TOA's which have two.
I believe the FSQ130 is a 5 element with 2ED which certainly puts the price up again
Old 13-06-2019, 07:03 PM
Wilso

“Microscope” you have to love google translate!

Probably the popularity and lower cost of the Fsq106 was the decider ?
I did read that the Fsq106 had a lead time of 12 months back in September 2018 also. Competition, manufacturing costs ...
Old 13-06-2019, 07:19 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I believe the FSQ130 is a 5 element with 2ED which certainly puts the price up again

The FSQ-130ED is the same design as the smaller FSQ-106ED …Both and the FSQ-85ED are Petzval design .. 4 Elements (2 up front, one centre and one rear)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (FSQ-106EDtube.jpg)
117.6 KB80 views
Old 13-06-2019, 08:19 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
The FSQ-130ED is the same design as the smaller FSQ-106ED …Both and the FSQ-85ED are Petzval design .. 4 Elements (2 up front, one centre and one rear)
Per Tak website FSQ130 has 5 elements.

Greg.
Old 13-06-2019, 08:20 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

https://www.astronomy-electronics-ce...o_fsq130ed.htm

Here it is stated as a 5 element with 3 EDs
Old 13-06-2019, 08:33 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
https://www.astronomy-electronics-ce...o_fsq130ed.htm

Here it is stated as a 5 element with 3 EDs

I think, well actually I was wrong about the FSQ-130ED ...Information about this scope doesn't describe it as Petzval. Looking at the AEC website description the FSQ-106ED is a quadruplet optical design where as you correctly pointed out that the FSQ-130ED is a five element design which further justifies the price. Learned something new.
Old 13-06-2019, 09:03 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
I don't necessarily disagree but, most people want a good scope and they are available for a few thousand now, and it is supply and demand
Old 14-06-2019, 06:06 AM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

100% correct there is just something about views through a Tak

Quote:
Old 14-06-2019, 10:53 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

There is no doubting the image quality of a Taka, but at $14k the price tag was a little too eye-watering...particularly when you consider the AP130 with Quad compressor is a little over half that price...and I dare say as good as if not better optically (though not as fast). If they were selling like hotcakes, I'm sure Taka would still be making them.
Old 14-06-2019, 06:12 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Well I have a AP 130GTX and am now a convert and devotee, just need to accessorise with the Prime Focus Field Flattener and Quad Telecompressor Corrector. Sold the FSQ-106ED to acquire this scope … and have never regretted the purchase.
Old 14-06-2019, 06:55 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Well I have a AP 130GTX and am now a convert and devotee, just need to accessorise with the Prime Focus Field Flattener and Quad Telecompressor Corrector. Sold the FSQ-106ED to acquire this scope … and have never regretted the purchase.
Sweet.

I agree the AP130GTX would give a Taka 130ED a run for its money.

I wonder if they had technical problems as well. Its probably a difficult scope to make and have perfectly collimated etc.

Greg.
Old 15-06-2019, 01:21 AM
Exfso (Peter)

Correct me if I am wrong here, but isn't the waiting time for the AP refractors ridiculous.
I have no doubt about the quality of the AP scopes, they are legendary, but most people would not like waiting for years for an order. I once put my name down on a waiting list for one of their refractors, never heard a thing after 10 years, and that was 20years ago. Never did hear anything.!!
Old 15-06-2019, 08:35 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

There are a few options in 130-140mm quality refractor department capable of catering for KAF-16803 and similar chips for much less dosh and with a relatively short delivery time, like TEC, APM, CFF to name a few. On top of that, cheaper still offerings from TS and similar are being praised by many. Clearly there are few people on this planet who really had to get exquisite and very expensive 130mm f/5 astrograph with a massive corrected circle.
Old 15-06-2019, 07:28 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
Correct me if I am wrong here, but isn't the waiting time for the AP refractors ridiculous.
I have no doubt about the quality of the AP scopes, they are legendary, but most people would not like waiting for years for an order. I once put my name down on a waiting list for one of their refractors, never heard a thing after 10 years, and that was 20years ago. Never did hear anything.!!
Very true but I believe there has been a lot of production on the latest 92mm F6 Stowaway.

Greg.
Old 16-06-2019, 03:17 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Well, if you have a Canon or Sony A7 dslr, a Canon 600mm f/4L (same price) will to the job. Excellent quality.
Old 16-06-2019, 10:46 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Won’t be parting with my AP130 and quad thingy. One day I’ll get a sensor that befits the imaging circle it produces (and a mountain top on which to site it)

DT