Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 05-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

What do you do with your pictures?

Silly question perhaps but seriously, we're all doing our best to take these amazing images, and its great to share them here, and learn from the experienced masters of the process- but what do you mdo with them afterwards?

Sure there's lots of places to share them online, to get feedback here and in other forums, FB groups, FB pages, Yahoo groups, Astrobin etc. but what then?

Ie: Do you print them for display on your walls or perhaps in a gallery?
Limited edition print sales?
Short run or on demand coffee table Books?
Calendars?

Seems a bit of a shame to invest in thousands and thousands of hard earned dollars and all that time and effort in search of high resolution perfection for them to just sit on one's HD.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Andy
Old 05-07-2014, 03:45 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

I print them out and show interested visitors that I get once every 10 years.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:16 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

haha, funny reply Kevin!

I save my pics on the ipad and show the general club members and friends and listen to them go oooh, aahh!

I print the best out on the home printer, then my son takes them to show his grade 2 class, he's very proud :-)

Finally, I sit and obsess over them, wondering how I can improve next time. Never happy!

I'm quite a ways away from doing a permanent hardcopy record. For now Flickr will have to do, as a permanent suppository (to borrow a TA term...) for my pics and a history of my progress.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:49 AM
raymo

You're lucky Kevin; my interested visitors are not that frequent, and even
my wife is totally disinterested.
raymo
Old 07-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

So here's an idea then - how about a print swap? Once your image is as good as you can make it - rather than leave it lying lonely on your HD maybe we could start a swap group amongst IIS members.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:37 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Which reminds me, a while back, I was going to start offering a print service to IIS members. I have a large format 24" wide Epson professional system (can do 36x24" prints) with museum quality paper.

H
Old 07-07-2014, 07:03 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I process the snot out of my images so that they look like carp.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:07 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

both good suggestions, a swap arrangement and a reliable printing service. Ha, give me a few more months to get better so I can justify printing out those masterpieces!

Not being a pro photographer, I am wondering what would be a good reputable, accessible printing service. Many I've seen only work with pros, which is a pity for them...

Now where did I put my spyder screen calibrator?!!
Old 08-07-2014, 11:52 AM
leon

It is an interesting question, and i do print my own, however the general public and friends and family, say, oh, that is nice and really don,t care, so i expect we are just stuck with them, knowing how hard it was to get that perfect image in the first place.

Leon
Old 09-07-2014, 10:43 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I view on screen and sometimes print. Then I try to get a better one next time.
Seems to be an endless pursuit ....
Old 09-07-2014, 12:05 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Years ago I started selling my astrophotography at a successful little local market stall I used to hold to sell my landscape & macro photography. The market store ended due to my time constraints but I persisted selling photography online because the demand was still there:
astrophotography.com.au

That was the early 2000's, with the market stall ending in ~2006.

Since 2010 the demand for physical prints has dropped, and that rate of drop has exponentially increased in recent times, to the point that now I sell very few. I know it's not just me, it's an industry wide situation. Demand for digital rights still exists but not something to bank the house on when only doing astrophotography. As a result I can't encourage anyone to go down this route - it is a lot of effort and there simply is no longer the desire by individuals to buy photography and it is individuals who you get the most gratification from as opposed to corporate's wanting digital rights. [the situation is a little different if you intend to pursue photography in general as a major income source]

I do get involved in exhibitions now and then, which are good fun but can not be expected to ever profitable. If you have the time and money to get involved in exhibitions, and a local exhibition space, it is emotionally rewarding and good fun to do exhibitions, just not profitable:
http://astrophotography.com.au/photography-exhibitions/

Generally these days I am very much enjoying the realisation that I shouldn't push what won't sell, and so am enjoying places like IIS with renewed passion for simply sharing work with like minded individuals and concentrating on what astrophotography I enjoy as opposed to what might sell.

Also, the kind of comments in the original post of this thread is the kind of reason people such as myself often go down the research line after several years of "pretty image astrophotography". Research can be more rewarding than repetitive pretty pictures.

I enjoy putting prints that don't sell up in my observatory, and putting up prints of significant achievements (the ones that mean the most to me personally) as opposed to the "most pretty" results.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Also, the kind of comments in the original post of this thread is the kind of reason people such as myself often go down the research line after several years of "pretty image astrophotography".

?

Do we have a problem here ... are you having a go at me Roger?

Andy
Old 09-07-2014, 01:45 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Also, the kind of comments in the original post of this thread is the kind of reason people such as myself often go down the research line after several years of "pretty image astrophotography".

?

Do we have a problem here ... are you having a go at me Roger?

Andy
not sure what you're misinterpreting Andy or if you're Joking but certainly not having a go at you.

It is often when people start thinking about what to do with their astrophoto's, that they've taken a bunch which are accumulating, that they try their hand at dabbling in research etc, often to have more of a "purpose" to their astrophotography. Just an observation, not a bad thing and not a certain thing, just a direction some people take that that point
Old 09-07-2014, 03:52 PM
malau (David)

I forced my colleagues to use it as their computer wall paper actually only if it is a hotdesk
Old 09-07-2014, 11:57 PM
raymo

A friend of mine is a fine water colour artist, and he makes his pics into
beautiful birthday and anniversary cards that he sends to his rellies and friends on their special occasions. Some of us could do the same.
raymo
Old 10-07-2014, 10:44 AM
JohnH
Member # 159

Contribute them to this project?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06...ual_telescope/
Old 10-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
not sure what you're misinterpreting Andy or if you're Joking but certainly not having a go at you.

Thanks for that Roger - I must have misinterpreted your response.

It is often when people start thinking about what to do with their astrophoto's, that they've taken a bunch which are accumulating, that they try their hand at dabbling in research etc, often to have more of a "purpose" to their astrophotography. Just an observation, not a bad thing and not a certain thing, just a direction some people take that that point
I'm now curious about your Research comments, if you don't mind my asking, what does that entail?
Cheers

Andy
Old 10-07-2014, 02:29 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

I think the term "pretty pictures" always sounds condecending and suggests what we astroimagers do is somehow trivial and of no value so why do it ...where as, looking for supernovae in other galaxies is somehow much more legitimate..? Now if we described the latter activity as "looking for faint dots while you sleep" it might sound equally condecending and very boring

Of course both activities are valid worthwhile persuits

I do all sorts of things with my images, hang'em, sell'em, enter'em in competitions or just enjoy look'in at'em...oh and I nearly forgot the funnest thing...reprocessing them!!

Mike
Old 10-07-2014, 02:54 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
I'm now curious about your Research comments, if you don't mind my asking, what does that entail?
Cheers

Andy
Hi Andy,

I think Roger is talking about using his astro gear for amateur astronomy (scientific) purposes rather than astro imaging for the purpose of art.

This may entail searching for supernova/comets etc to providing data of minor planet occultation of stars which can be used to refine minor planet sizes / orbits etc.

As for me, I have blown quite a few printed on canvas and hang in my house (on rotation). I also made a calendar last year that i circulated to my family and friends. Just a couple of tips from my experiences ...
1. On the canvas thing, good for planetary and rich nebs, but not so good in a rich star field.
2. Printing on gloss finish paper makes it way too hard to what's on the page!

Cheers,

Rusty

ps i'll add that scientific photo's/data generally ain't pretty!!

Last edited by rustigsmed; 10-07-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Oh ok, that sounds a bit dull to me but then I'm wired more artistically than scientifically so each to their own. Plenty of room in AP to explore differing directions, styles and techniques.

It's been my experience that processing and prepping an image for a high res print is much more complex than doing it for the screen, but the results are well worth it.

I was fortunate enough to win several silver awards with my AP images at the Victorian AIPP Pro Photographer of the Year Awards recently, and those prints look great on the wall at home.

I think Roger's point about diminishing print sales is valid though, which is a shame but that's how it goes I guess.

Interesting replies, keep 'em coming!

Cheers

Andy