Old 27-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Smokey

What would you hire?

Hi all.
Thanks to a link that John (xstream) posted, I am seriously considering heading up to the Magellan Observatory for a weekend in the next month or 2.
The main purpose for this would be to try my hand at some photography of some DSO's.
Of the equipment they have available for hire, what would be your choice to hopefully get some great shots?
Equipment for hire
Old 27-04-2005, 10:59 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I'm pretty sure Seeker has stayed there and hired the goodies to do some astrophotography.

Hopefully he'll be able to chip in with his advice and experiences.
Old 27-04-2005, 11:00 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Here's a bit of info + one of his pics..

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...light=magellan
Old 27-04-2005, 11:14 AM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

recommend it strongly,

even my family enjoyed it and would be happy to go back any time.

What you do need to be aware of though is that the imaging set up is too complicated for you to start using in one night or probably even a weekend, so you do need Zane's help, but he is great and willing to stay up all hours with you. (unless of course you are already an expert CCD user and know CCD Soft which is the software he uses)

For imaging there really is only one option, the apo.

set up autoguiding with the apo,which is piggy backed on his Lx 200 and while it is doing it's thing use the 18 inch for visual observing-once its set up you dont need to baby sit it

Pick your targets in advance
and enjoy!
Old 27-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Smokey

Thanks for the recommendations Seeker.
Having no experience at all with imaging, I will have to rely on Zane's help.
On the website, he says
Quote:
Under the 2.2 meter dome we have a Losmandy G11 mount plus digital setting circles which currently holds a Vixen 200 mm F9 Cassegrain a 100 mm F5 apochromatic refractor both are ideal for photography , also a 300 mm F10 SCT for CCD .
So the 100mm Apo would give the better results?
Old 27-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Rohan

I've seen this place and thought about heading out. On the topic of dark sites & farmstays my cousins have a farm just outside Griffith in SW NSW. I was there last week on a work trip and was amazed how good the sky was even with full moon up. They rent a large cottage out and a small flat. They often get astronomy groups from melbourne coming up for the dark skies. I'm heading out for the june long week as its a new moon. Can't wait. Add to that the great farm activites to do in the day and its a great time away. Here's the link. I guess the only plus about Magellan is they have scopes and such. But if your just after a dark site i highly recommend Griffith.

http://www.ingleden.com.au/
Old 27-04-2005, 03:44 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey
Thanks for the recommendations Seeker.
Having no experience at all with imaging, I will have to rely on Zane's help.
On the website, he says

So the 100mm Apo would give the better results?
I think Zane usually has the 100 mm apo set up for imaging and his Lx 200 for guiding

Seem to recall that he no longer has his Vixen but could be wrong

You could always swap them around but that apo produces some really stunning images

also he has a collection of images taken through his various scopes so you can decide for yourself

You dont really have to make a choice of scope now-no one else will be in the farm stay so its not as if you dont book the scopes someone else will use them.

When you book the place just remember to tell him or his wife that you are keen in imaging and are a newbie and he will recommend appropriately.

When I stayed at Magellan he was thinking of getting some more equipment so he may well have more in by now.

The other interesting thing was he has this great collection of (non astronomy related ) videos and lots and lots of astronomy magazines and books that go back twenty years so there is something to do even during the day.

You would only go this place if you wanted to be able to get a feel for all this gear and look through someone else's scopes exclusively in a way it wouldn't be possible say at a star party --and not just because it is a dark site.