Old 06-09-2019, 08:33 AM
foc (Ross)

Neptune et al

Neptune, Saturn and Jupiter all on 3 September 2019
Celestron C6 on EVO ASI 1224mc camera and 1.5x barlow.

As was the case on 3 September, Jet stream has been around 60m/s or higher lately but still can get some images when not too cloudy or windy in Canberra. I trust you have better conditions where you are.

While, I do not think my Neptune is a particularly good image (it was very unsteady while being captured and my setting might have been a bit off) my posting is more to encourage others to post theirs now that the planet is at opposition. Uranus will also be high at a more convenient time in a few weeks.
Saturn and Jupiter can still be easily captured and I think these images are decent for this stage of their oppositions. I should say Jeff's images of Jupiter posted a few days ago are pretty good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2019-09-03-1356_3-L-Neptune_ZWO ASI224MC_Gain=408(off)_Exposure=94.png)
2.4 KB129 views
Click for full-size image (2019-09-03-1208_3-L-Sat_ZWO ASI224MC_Gain=354(off)_Exposure=17.png)
60.3 KB102 views
Click for full-size image (2019-09-03-1057_3-L-Jup_ZWO ASI224MC_Gain=350(off)_Exposure=3.jpg)
21.3 KB96 views
Old 06-09-2019, 08:53 AM
casstony

Saturn and Jupiter look great Ross, especially for a humble C6.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:31 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Nice work.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 06-09-2019, 08:14 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I particularly like Saturn..it looks real and natural.
Alex
Old 06-09-2019, 09:18 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Quite nice images Ross with good colour, good results for a C6. Wouldn't be too worried about Neptune considering that it is less than 3 arc sec. Impossible to see any more than a blue dot unless you have a giant scope.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:41 PM
marcg (Marc)

Very nice
Old 11-09-2019, 01:45 AM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Very decent images of the gas giants Ross, the impressive thing about your Neptune is that you can say you have Photographed such a distant object, an impressive feat alone.
Cheers,
Tony
Old 12-09-2019, 07:33 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant0nio View Post
Very decent images of the gas giants Ross, the impressive thing about your Neptune is that you can say you have Photographed such a distant object, an impressive feat alone.
Cheers,
Tony
+1 I agree. It's nice to see Neptune in here especially from a 6 inch scope that's not an easy task at all. The other two gas giants speak for themselves. Well done!
Old 12-09-2019, 11:38 AM
foc (Ross)

Thanks for the positive comments. I am sure any of us can get some better Neptune images with small scopes even with current near full moon, but it is good to have obtained one this year to add to my 2019 solar system collection.

Although the C6 is not large in aperture, I think there may be some advantages in small cats like my C6 in imaging in less than ideal inland locations. I think small scopes of this ilk are less susceptible to thermal issues and might tune easier and hold collimation more firmly than many larger Cats as well as needing much less mount to be firmly held. And with its great portability I feel happy to put it out to try on any night even if my day has been busy and my time is short.

I recently obtained a C8,.. about the time seeing seemed to drop here a month ago and although not that much larger than a C6, so far I have not had it produce an image nearly as good as my C6, one then starts to feel less enthusiastic to set the larger scope up on a less than perfect night after a days work.

It might need some additional purchases of a heavier tripod or a cooler or a thermal jacket, though I like to keep things simple. I hope eventually to get on top of it even if that turns out to be simply knowing which nights are worth using it rather than the C6.