Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 17-07-2014, 09:36 PM
wulfgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
We've got solar panels, looking forward to battery prices falling over the next few years to add storage to the house and move to an electric car charged with our own power.
Germany has started subsidizing storage so battery prices are predicted to fall with increased production volumes, not to mention a variety of newly emerging technologies that could lead to cheaper battery prices.
What? With low voltage?
Old 17-07-2014, 09:54 PM
doppler (Rick)

Its time for councils to install timers to turn of residential streetlights when "most" people are in bed.
Old 17-07-2014, 10:06 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Who is Klaatu?
And good on you Tony..
Set an example as a cool dude who is doing serging.
Batteries should be in the system..selling back to the grid missed teaching people hope saving energy works..it is a put in and use what you have not what you.need
I did a quick energy audit of the ward here..fridge ..couple of lies of milk..and some snacks 80 percent less very adequate..freezer not used..lights on 2 store rooms three light not needed.10 display screens showing adds for hand wash but display room patient calls from one central unit more efficient..give lights at tea machine one adequate..10 mobile phones charging 5 only ever in use..this is a short list one lap...
Do an energy audit where you go and hand it out..see my point..tax won't change any one of the waste I observed..only personal action..Why is it always up too me.Uk am going to have to do thread whole building it seems..
But that is the only way we can win..change action at our level

Alex
Old 17-07-2014, 10:08 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

As if litres not tiff enough now this dam phone is on auto correct and writing even more crap..and I can't see it mongrel thing

Alex
Old 17-07-2014, 10:22 PM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfgar View Post
What? With low voltage?
I'm not sure what your question is, but the aim would be to stay connected to the grid but supply the vast majority of our own electricity needs. In my case a car would be in the garage for a large part of most days and I drive under 10,000 km per year so there's no need for fast charging.
Old 17-07-2014, 10:32 PM
wulfgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
I'm not sure what your question is, but the aim would be to stay connected to the grid but supply the vast majority of our own electricity needs. In my case a car would be in the garage for a large part of most days and I drive under 10,000 km per year so there's no need for fast charging.
Solar power of the low voltage type makes about as much difference as a bathroom sink full of water would to the reservoir system and mains distribution.
Old 17-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfgar View Post
Solar power of the low voltage type makes about as much difference as a bathroom sink full of water would to the reservoir system and mains distribution.
I have a 1.5Kv solar system and natural gas for cooking, heating and hot water. I have aircon in summer.
My solar system has resulted in NO electricity bills in 4 years. In fact my electricity bills are ALWAYS in credit, which I then use to offset my gas bills
Old 17-07-2014, 10:43 PM
casstony

Wolf gar, do a quick search on the net - various companies produce 240 volt home charging stations for electric vehicles.
Old 17-07-2014, 11:30 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0716183128.htm

Even the ants will help it seems...
Blessed
Old 18-07-2014, 12:28 AM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryp View Post
I have a 1.5Kv solar system and natural gas for cooking, heating and hot water. I have aircon in summer.
My solar system has resulted in NO electricity bills in 4 years. In fact my electricity bills are ALWAYS in credit, which I then use to offset my gas bills
That's interesting Larry. How much do you get per unit fed back to the grid?
Old 18-07-2014, 12:42 AM
casstony

Our 3.5kw (nominal) system Kwh production is similar to our consumption on average, but it's only cut our usage shown on the electricity bill in half since we rely on the grid when the Sun isn't shining. Battery storage would greatly increase our self generation consumption.
Old 18-07-2014, 12:50 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Who is Klaatu?

Alex
""
Klaatu Nictoo Verada"" said Michael Rennie

The original 'Day the Earth Stood Still"
Old 18-07-2014, 12:52 AM
PCH (Paul)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
""
Klaatu Nictoo Verada"" said Michael Rennie

The original 'Day the Earth Stood Still"
"Klaatu Barada Nikto" - actually
Old 18-07-2014, 05:49 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

What a superb day. The Parliament of Australia returned to rationality.
It actually gave effect to Kevin Rudd's promise last election that "We have terminated the Carbon Tax".

In sharp contrast, we had Bill Shorten claiming Australia was now a pariah state, and Christine Milne effectively saying we've condemned 6 billion people to death. Sarah Hanson Young tweeted "Climate Skeptic Grubs" presumably referring to the majority of the electorate who voted for this to occur. Plainly, the politicians of the new religion are really, really upset, and that pleases me enormously.

Personally, I am delighted. I keep getting notes from our power company saying that my wife and I are using nearly twice as much power as the average household in our area, and would I like to try reduce our consumption. I turf those notes into the bin, as I have no desire to live like people in energy starved places like Italy. But I therefore expect to save twice as much from the tax abolition as most other people do.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 18-07-2014, 06:07 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryp View Post
I congratulate your good fortune, and regret that circumstances prevented me from doing similar.

But you do realise that the reason you are in credit all the time is not because solar power is an efficient form of energy? Rather it is because of middle class welfare, where the poor - who can't carry solar units from rental house to rental house - are heavily subsidising the rich who jumped in and got those great solar tariffs, which have since been heavily cut back to avoid financial ruin.
Regards,
Renato
Old 18-07-2014, 06:22 AM
Poita (Peter)

*sigh*, I imagine the tax threshold will now go back down as well.
The Carbon tax actually was very good for my family on a low income, we use very little power etc. but the tax threshold increase and other initiatives really helped pay the bills this year.
Old 18-07-2014, 06:26 AM
Poita (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icytailmark View Post
Australia has given up on science and given up on this planet. Science is crap according to tony abbott. Im glad im never having kids.

This video clip is appropriate for today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9c1QYx9ris
I like this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxq__3z9zGM
Old 18-07-2014, 07:20 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

What seems hopeless is getting reasonable central ground. It's so emotionally charged and so many vested interests dirtying the water. Anyways I still encourage personal action and support such that positive direction present..Larry must be admired and hopefully others..as they will..follow his example.
In his way he is above the politics..Which is great and what I was hunting upon.gy saying ..read the forum rules...last night first time I had a sjIleeping pill..horror ..absolute horrifIc found myself.in half sleep in pain manifest that I was during over and over..It took fifteen minutes of this torment to grasp any reality
Y..finally I came straight here where this very thread brought me back as it were .. And the last threads reflected a lack of historian as seem with our politicians talking nonsense to rally the gullible behind them.And instantly reminded me what a wonderful site this place is..for today in my distorted reality got me out of the indictable horror of.net dream... Now what I don't understand fully is our science fiction thing ..I read up gaining knowledge but something has not clicked..I hope you are not suggesting I was the killer Robot firstly. Are we saying it's a way of turning unstoppable force...I still don't understand please give me a hint..so I clooan say...oh I understand...I ask because I think it.jpeg mushed my brain the sleeping pill only being the catalyst.
Old 18-07-2014, 07:29 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Sorry I have to give it in..this done is getting worse ..It just won't behave...you can only guess at my meaning . Leaving tomorrow anyways so when out I go back just to a unlogged in guest.
All the best keep it real..don't fight..don't give way to hate of opponents and use example to promote good.

Bye

Alex
Old 18-07-2014, 07:55 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooghan View Post
The price of power

An interesting read/listen.
Very interesting. Another perspective which at the end of the day we all suspected somehow. Business is business. Similar thing happened with Sydney Water mid 2000s during the drought when aussies cut their water consumption dramatically. Very disciplined bunch when you think about it.

I know that when power bills were not an issue my 4 people household consumption in summer was 30Kwh and probably 20 in winter. We're talking around 2003. Power was so cheap that I used the ducted to heat in winter. We didn't even feel the bill. Maybe around $250/$300 a quarter.
We started to notice around 2009 when it was more like $900.00 a quarter.

Since then we've changed all lighting to LED, got two gaz heaters and only used ducted in summer on exceptionally hot days. Usage is now between 10 and 13kWh so nearly three times less. According to Origin/Energy Australia I'm well below what a typical 4 people household consumption is so they clearly think we should use more. Recently my rates jumped up between 8 to 10%.

Funny thing it is the first time the second rate for electricity kicking at 1750kW is actually cheaper than the first rate, which shows the reversal in thinking. Use more and you'll pay less. Gaz has always been this way. Second rate is always marginally cheaper.

Assuming the average joe in Oz did the same we did over the years that would be a serious loss of revenue for power companies. And I don't even have solar panels.

Last edited by multiweb; 18-07-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Closed Thread