Old 06-08-2018, 04:54 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Only one camera showing up.

I have a zwo cam (asi 120mm) for guiding and it is connected to the imaging camera via the usb port on said camera.
I just noticed that the guide camera was not displaying when I turned on PHD.
WHEN I go into Sharpcap in the Camera drop down it shows both cameras but only one camera is ticked.

I tick the other camera it gets a tick but the one that was ticked now has no tick.
Both cameras work individually but not both at once.
I seem to remember reading that others had a similar problem but I cant remember what the solution was.
I have tried rescan in the drop box and Reconnect camera but the problem remains.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Alex
Old 07-08-2018, 07:32 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Are these connected directly to usb ports or a hub on computer? (never use hubs). Usually a driver reinstall should get things running again though. did you plus in another usb device of any kind?
Old 07-08-2018, 08:39 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
Are these connected directly to usb ports or a hub on computer? (never use hubs). Usually a driver reinstall should get things running again though. did you plus in another usb device of any kind?
Hi Sil
Thank you for your reply.
I have a small powered hub into which goes the lead from the cooled camera, the lead from the mount and lead from the focuser.
The lap top only has two usb ports one a usb 2 and the other a usb 3.
I think the mouse is in the usb 2 and the lead from the hub in in the usb3.
It seems others have had a similar problem and I detect there may be an issue in using two zwo cameras.
Alex
Old 07-08-2018, 08:44 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I am tempted to buy a loadstar to use for the guide camera based on little more than my impression...however I imagine there must be a few folk using two zwo cameras as I wish to.

Alex
Old 07-08-2018, 08:53 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

As an experiment connect the guide camera to the mount with the ST-4 cable...
Old 07-08-2018, 09:41 AM
luka
Unregistered User

Alex, not sure if I understood you correctly but one software will only run one camera at the time. That's why SharpCap unticks one camera when you tick the other one. I don't think it can use both.
But you should be able to use one camera in PHD2 and the other one in SharpCap.

Somewhere in PHD2 in the connect window (maybe to the right of the box where you select the ZWO camera, don't have it in front of me) there is something that, from memory, looks like a tick box. That will let you select the 2nd ZWO camera, i.e. your guide cam.

Alternatively you can try plugging in the guide camera only, then run PHD2 and connect to the guide cam. After that is done plug in the imaging camera and run SharpCap or whatever other software you use for imaging and select it.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:45 AM
glend (Glen)

Yes I had a similar problem, the ASI120 uses a very different driver. My solution, which works for my gear, uses a MBeat 7 port powered USB hub mounted to my pier. The main ASI imaging camera (1600MM-C) has go be cabled directly to the laptop USB 3 port and I use a USB3 Active (powered) cable to extend the stock cable. The guide camera is plugged into the MBeat hub and onto the spare laptop port. So port separation is crucial in my opinion. Also, the order in which you start those cameras can have an affect. I always start the imaging camera first using SGP, that way I can check that the equipment box has the correct details and I can start the cooling. I don't even turn on the guide camera port (each port on the MBeat has a switch), until I am happy the imaging camera is connected. Turn on the guide camera and start PHD2, then check to make sure you are connecting the right camera in the PHD2 equipment box.
My laptop is WIN8, with updates turned off, always.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:09 AM
Imme (Jon)

I'm not a tech head but I had similar problems connecting a 120 and 1600 to a 7 port USB hub. Camera's seemed to disappear from time to time, at other times I couldn't find them. The focuser connected to the same hub also disappeared on a regular basis.
My issue was solved by 'powering' the hub with an external 5v adapter (I actually have an MBeat 7 port hub).
Since it has been powered I have not had an issue. My understanding is a port only gets a small amount of power from the computers USB port....couple that with long USB cable runs and the associated current loss and you end up not having enough power to run everything that is plugged in. A powered hub obviously fixes that....it worked for me!
Old 07-08-2018, 10:12 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Glen I did read the post you made a while back which I found most helpful in so far as I could assure myself that maybe I was not the main problem in the mix.
Time is my enemy at the moment and causing me to panic.
I allowed myseld one week to get it all together but seems I need a little more time.
It looks as if guiding still may not be in the picture this trip North si look out for 30 second narrow band I guess.
And time for a van to fit the gear ..it sure is a pile now.
Alex
Old 07-08-2018, 10:16 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
I'm not a tech head but I had similar problems connecting a 120 and 1600 to a 7 port USB hub. Camera's seemed to disappear from time to time, at other times I couldn't find them. The focuser connected to the same hub also disappeared on a regular basis.
My issue was solved by 'powering' the hub with an external 5v adapter (I actually have an MBeat 7 port hub).
Since it has been powered I have not had an issue. My understanding is a port only gets a small amount of power from the computers USB port....couple that with long USB cable runs and the associated current loss and you end up not having enough power to run everything that is plugged in. A powered hub obviously fixes that....it worked for me!
Thanks for sharing your experience.
It helps to know others have had similar problems.
My hub is powered but it was cheap so maybe a better one.
Time is my main problem but I know everything will work out somehow.
Thanks for your input I really do appreciate you taking the time.
Alex
Old 07-08-2018, 12:24 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I dont know what I did but it all seems to work.
Hopefully it is not temporary.
Thanks everyone the biggest thing has been to be able to talk to good folk about it.
I was at his stage a while back and I think things went pera shapped when I tried to bring the focuser on board.
I am fearful of trying it again.
It is a pity its leads are tied in as I dont know that I have the courage to try it again and maybe upset whatever gets upset.
Thanks again I cant express my gratitude enough.
Alex
Old 07-08-2018, 12:34 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

And I think I will take something (photos) before I try to use the filter wheel
I must say that I am proud of myself for a few reasons.
First to put my hand in my pocket which is a big hurdle for me having spent many years in poverty.
And I was unusually patient and even read directions☺
I just want an imaging session where 30 second captures is but one of my options.
I am taking the rest of the day off and relax.
Alex
Old 07-08-2018, 07:04 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Alex,
Turn on the 12 volts to the ASI1600 first then connect Sharpcap to it. I normally set gain to about 300 and exposure about 2 secs and that lets me get it to focus and do a 1 star or 2 star alignment. Sharpcap just manages one camera for imaging. I normally then set the camera to 'normal' imaging settings for the intended target. 139 for unity gain, 30 secs exposure is a good starting point.

Then start PHD2 and it will find your guide camera.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:21 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank Brent.
I am running the camera off 240 from inverter I want to get a plug to follow its draw.
Everything is working ran the cooler turned the wheel took some darks moved the mount to where I pointed on screen.but I could not detect if the focuser was moving it seems to respond only to the program in so far as I cant see that you can drive the focuser as such...but thats ok cause my first belt wont want to have to more too far.
But I have built a couple for testing.
I used sortta wet suit material which responded well to the glue the join is ultra strong. The focuser will move very little so I would have to hold it in...less work.
Nearly there.
Thanks.
Alex