Old 10-09-2019, 07:46 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniSkunk View Post
On Saturday, I purchased from Doolsduck, the early 1960s Royal Astro Optical 50mmx500mm f10 refractor he had up for sale here in IIS.
This evening, I've finally managed to take some decent photos of the new acquisition.
I still need to take care of a couple of tasks before I put this classic scope to work. I need to get a suitable height table for the patio/balcony of my flat to set the scope up on, and for safety reasons (anyone in the future who might wind up with this scope) I need to scratch the heck out of both sides of that SUN filter so it is unusable.
Smash that thing into a million pieces!!!
Old 16-09-2019, 02:34 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

grandaughters new scope

50 mm/540 .. i had issues with how the maker had attached the focuser to the tube ,, a smear of epoxy on two flat surfaces ,, its now got a threaded

sleave which wont ever fall apart .
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20190916_141557.jpg)
177.3 KB85 views
Click for full-size image (20190916_141623.jpg)
91.5 KB78 views
Old 16-09-2019, 03:13 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Nice Classic Scope Graham
Old 17-09-2019, 01:01 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

My early 1960s RAO 50mm x 500mm refractor, in its temporary set up on my ironing board, for trying to get used to using a refractor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Temp test setup 01g.jpg)
212.1 KB97 views
Old 21-09-2019, 01:51 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Pimped Astro Toys

I love my Tak NJP & Big 10" CF newt - but couldn't live with the baby green mount colour anymore - so had it stripped down & powdercoated in Apollo 11 colours.

Also changed the colour of the Skywatcher white tube rings & mirror cells from the 'scope Jet black, and also powder coated the white Ioptron tripier legs silver to match it all.

There were a few minor gremlins with performance post mods due to slipping locknuts on powdercoated surfaces, but that's all sorted now.

The project took about 2 months and only cost me around $750

Must be the result of watching all the episodes of "Wheeler Dealers"
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image2.jpeg)
146.7 KB136 views
Click for full-size image (image3.jpeg)
164.7 KB140 views
Click for full-size image (image4.jpeg)
142.6 KB138 views
Click for full-size image (Newt.jpg)
87.6 KB139 views
Old 21-09-2019, 02:52 PM
casstony

You should send those pictures to Takahashi Andy - might give them some ideas.
Old 21-09-2019, 05:10 PM
Wavytone

Mmm ... I still think the Unitron look is better - white OTA with black trim (all the metal bits) apart from bare metal sliding surfaces.

The classic look though is white OTA with the trim in gleaming lacquered brass or better - phosphor bronze - the lens cell, focusser, finder, sliding weights and the mount ... with silver engraved circles...
Old 21-09-2019, 05:45 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Love the paint Andy and what a beast of a scope!

Good to see R2D2 keeping an eye on everything
Old 02-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Hi all,

Yesterday I finally detached the camera from the scope and have decided to enjoy some casual short visual sessions from our backyard in the coming weeks.

I already have forgotten what a joy it is to look at the nightsky!

Saturn with a few moons at zenith were just beautiful, so was the mighty Jupiter and the Galilean moons. Waxing crescent moon was a wonderful sight as well, and so was just surfing across the Milky Way - the Lagoon stood up for sure, but then unfortunately clouds rolled in before I could locate the Helix in the East that I dedicated so many photographic sessions to.

I am not an experienced observer at all, but the 13mm Nagler I bought from a fellow IIS member seems to be a perfect match to the little and rather fast CFF, beautiful wide field and really sharp stars to the edge of the field. I only wish both eyes could enjoy the view simultaneously - I now understand why some go for a binoscope!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image.jpeg)
169.6 KB135 views
Old 02-10-2019, 11:54 AM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Hi all,

Yesterday I finally detached the camera from the scope and have decided to enjoy some casual short visual sessions from our backyard in the coming weeks.

I already have forgotten what a joy it is to look at the nightsky!

Saturn with a few moons at zenith were just beautiful, so was the mighty Jupiter and the Galilean moons. Waxing crescent moon was a wonderful sight as well, and so was just surfing across the Milky Way - the Lagoon stood up for sure, but then unfortunately clouds rolled in before I could locate the Helix in the East that I dedicated so many photographic sessions to.

I am not an experienced observer at all, but the 13mm Nagler I bought from a fellow IIS member seems to be a perfect match to the little and rather fast CFF, beautiful wide field and really sharp stars to the edge of the field. I only wish both eyes could enjoy the view simultaneously - I now understand why some go for a binoscope!
Looks Fabulous Suavi theyre a fantastic scope from all accounts..hard to beat a great APO. ..gives your eyes some fun too.
PS:Try some doubles too..eg Antares!
Bigjoe.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:24 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

I certainly will check the doubles - thank you for the hint Bigjoe and thank you once again for passing on such wonderful eyepiece
Old 03-10-2019, 05:40 PM
Wavytone

A herd of unicorns...

From left:

- Riffle MikroMak 50mm f/12
- Intes M615 150mm f/15
- Santel MK91 228mm f/13.5
- APM/Wirth MC 250mm f/12.5 (the cheesegrater)

First light tonight of the cheesegrater - looks like a nice evening here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4376.JPG)
123.4 KB101 views
Old 03-10-2019, 07:21 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
From left:

- Riffle MikroMak 50mm f/12
- Intes M615 150mm f/15
- Santel MK91 228mm f/13.5
- APM/Wirth MC 250mm f/12.5 (the cheesegrater)

First light tonight of the cheesegrater - looks like a nice evening here.
Thats CRUEL WAVY!
Have sympathy for us poor lil 130mm Apo owners !

Bigjoe.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:28 PM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Unitron/Tak Set Up

Earlier I posted pics my Tak FOA-60Q mounted on my newly acquired Tak PM-1 mount. Recently I was going through my old Unitron collection and thought the 60mm OTA looked about the same diameter tube as the FOA-60Q which in fact it was, both exactly 68mm in diameter. Considering I've had the Unitron for nearly 50 years it is near new condition and mated with the PM-1 mount perfectly. I've spent the past few nights reacquainting myself with the Unitron and apart from the dreaded purple halo (in some people's opinion) the scope was sharp and clear even by Tak standards. Stars are pin point and on higher powers show textbook diffraction rings. Jupiters bands were sharp and contrasted but the purple halo was quite evident. Funny I never really noticed the purple fringing when I was younger, never bothered me and still doesn't. I've yet to try out my fringe killer filter when I can find it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Tak-Unitron - 1 - 2.jpg)
185.1 KB82 views
Click for full-size image (Tak-Unitron - 2 - 2.jpg)
167.5 KB80 views
Click for full-size image (DSC00107 - 2.jpg)
119.7 KB87 views
Click for full-size image (Tak-Unitron - 3 - 3.jpg)
117.0 KB89 views

Last edited by UniPol; 04-10-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:59 PM
beren

Superb Steve , testament to how well you look after your gear
Old 04-10-2019, 01:27 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniPol View Post
Earlier I posted pics my Tak FOA-60Q mounted on my newly acquired Tak PM-1 mount. Recently I was going through my old Unitron collection and thought the 60mm OTA looked about the same diameter tube as the FOA-60Q which in fact it was, both exactly 68mm in diameter. Considering I've had the Unitron for nearly 50 years it is near new condition and mated with the PM-1 mount perfectly. I've spent the past few nights reacquainting myself with the Unitron and apart from the dreaded purple halo (in some people's opinion) the scope was sharp and clear even by Tak standards. Stars are pin point and on higher powers show textbook diffraction rings. Jupiters bands were sharp and contrasted but the purple halo was quite evident. Funny I never really noticed the purple fringing when I was younger, never bothered me and still doesn't. I've yet to try out my fringe killer filter when I can find it.
Looks lovely.
Had the 4inch F15 Alt Az which my Parents got for me late 70s..purchased from Astro Optical at Clark St Crows Nest ,as a reward..
Was about 375 from memory....I stupidly sold it some years ago to a Farmer in Jamberoo.
It snapped to focus and had RAZOR SHARP images...aperture fever kicked in I guess.

PS:
+1 for the Fringe killer; not much of a colour cast, if at all..aging yellowing eyes do the job for some!
Bigjoe.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:07 PM
Wavytone

Quote:
Earlier I posted pics my Tak FOA-60Q
Mmm I’ve had bigger finderscopes ...

Last edited by Wavytone; 04-10-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 14-10-2019, 06:37 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
but the purple halo was quite evident. Funny I never really noticed the purple fringing when I was younger
Steve .... you should call your Scope ' Violet '
Old 14-10-2019, 06:43 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Having owned and used the shorter focal length version of this scope (the guidescope version essentially), I can attest to how razor sharp they are - it resolved many clusters FAR better than I expected.

Sure, there was purple around bright objects, but since it doesn't distract from the detail, it was totally unnoticed.
Old 14-10-2019, 08:46 PM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Steve .... you should call your Scope ' Violet '
Nah, I think I'll go with "Pansy", they're violet as well.