Old 25-05-2013, 04:53 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Question Stacking bin 1x1 and 2x2 LRGB frames

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone is willing to enlighten me as to their process for stacking LRGB frames where the L is at bin 1x1 and the RGB is at bin 2x2.

My technique has been to batch resize the 2x2 frames up to 1x1 frames then align the whole lot and go from there. It's cumbersome and I can't help but think I'm introducing error.

Thanks,
Roger.
Old 25-05-2013, 04:55 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

When you register the Bin 2x2 images to a Bin1x1 reference image in Pixinsight, they are resized to the same dimensions of the Bin1x1 image. Obviously some interpolation going on, but seems to be fine in the long run.

DT
Old 25-05-2013, 04:58 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
When you register the Bin 2x2 images to a Bin1x1 reference image in Pixinsight, they are resized to the same dimensions of the Bin1x1 image. Obviously some interpolation going on, but seems to be fine in the long run.

DT
ahh, good to know.

My trial of PixInsight has expired ... haven't taken the plunge to buy it yet, but that's one more reason.
Old 25-05-2013, 05:39 PM
naskies (Dave)

Same thing in DeepSkyStacker - register & stack the Ls first, and then include the reference L sub when you stack the RGB subs as a reference frame (but leave it unchecked so it's not stacked). When you combine them, you just upsize the RGBs by 200% (or select x2 dither when stacking the colour subs).
Old 25-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

I think this is the standard procedure for most software--maxim, CCDStack, PixInsight etc etc. Just plug everything into the stacking process and don't worry about it.
Geoff
Old 25-05-2013, 08:27 PM
gregbradley

When you say stack LRGB do you mean colour combine? You don't stack LRGB images as such. You register/stack individual sub exposures of luminance together and same for each of red, green and blue. Then you register the masters for LRGB (I use CCDstack and binning is compensated automatically). Then colour combine (I use CCDStack to do colour combine, some use Photoshop).

Greg.
Old 25-05-2013, 10:15 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskies View Post
Same thing in DeepSkyStacker - register & stack the Ls first, and then include the reference L sub when you stack the RGB subs as a reference frame (but leave it unchecked so it's not stacked). When you combine them, you just upsize the RGBs by 200% (or select x2 dither when stacking the colour subs).
Interesting, I might give DSS a shot as I have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghsmith45 View Post
I think this is the standard procedure for most software--maxim, CCDStack, PixInsight etc etc. Just plug everything into the stacking process and don't worry about it.
Geoff
Ok, I've only tried CCDSoft (which is very old school in this regard) and Photoshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
When you say stack LRGB do you mean colour combine? You don't stack LRGB images as such. You register/stack individual sub exposures of luminance together and same for each of red, green and blue. Then you register the masters for LRGB (I use CCDstack and binning is compensated automatically). Then colour combine (I use CCDStack to do colour combine, some use Photoshop).

Greg.
No Greg, not stacking all the LRGB in one Stacking, scaling, combining, colour combining. Looking for the easiest way to do all the steps required, as it always seems like an enormous chore to me, and I never end up with good colour balance. (see NGC 4945 example in the Deep Sky forum now).
Old 21-02-2014, 10:43 PM
Guillaume

I'm a novice in this matter.
I have images in Ha and Lum. bin 1x1 and RGB, bin 2x2
I use MaXim DL5 for stacking and PS CS5 for futher processing.
Stacking and colour combine for LRGB seems to go alright, but Maxim does not provide for Ha images in the process.
I found a tip (Don Goldman) for HaR combination using PS, but the different binning of my Ha and R images blocks the process.
Can anybody help me out, .... and again, I'm a novice.
Guillaume
Old 22-02-2014, 12:24 AM
alpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskies View Post

x2 dither? - don't you mean x2 drizzle?