ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-07-2016, 12:41 PM
gregbradley

George.

You need a few tools. First is the HLVG free plug in for Photoshop from Andrea Rogelio. This is similar to the ACDNR tool in Pixinsight. It gets rid of excess green in an image. Its very handy as light pollution and airglow is greenish and the excess green throws off colour balance.

http://www.deepskycolors.com/archive...sta-Green.html

That will correct the excess green easily. Medium strength will work here.

Some of the stars are excessively yellow/red. Best to select the brighter stars (the best tool around for that is Noel Carboni Photoshop actions "select brighter stars". Once selected you'll need to expand the selection probably about 5 pixels so the circle of selection covers the outer halo.

Now you simply use the saturation tool to reduce reds/yellows or just saturation generally. If you hit control H the selection circles will be hidden and you will be able to see the effect of your changes easily. If you have too large a selection circle then the background will be affected and you don't want that as it could leave ugly circles of different colour. So its good practice to feather the selection say 3 pixels so any changes feather out to nothing and don't leave a harsh edge of correction.

The globular cluster colour looks a little off and it should really be brighter as its a bright little glob.

Overall an excellent image and its a bit of tough area because you have massive dynamic range where the glob is very bright, those 2 central hot stars are very bright and then there are very dim dust areas.

The 2nd of the 2 bright stars in the blue reflection nebula is shown as yellow. I have never seen that before and I am assuming its some sort of processing artefact or is it real? Images I have taken and others show both those stars as blue. So its got me wondering now.

Greg.

Last edited by gregbradley; 24-07-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 24-07-2016, 12:46 PM
vlazg (George)

WOW Thanks Greg, i will work on it and see how it turns out using your suggestions
Old 24-07-2016, 07:00 PM
vlazg (George)

Greg, i tried your version to desaturate the stars but could not use HLVG as i use a mac so i went from ps to pix and used the scnr and then back to ps to finish.
I think you get the stage after many processes of the same image you can't see the forest for the trees but i think this is better
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Image07_anteater-revised24716-web2.jpg)
235.8 KB24 views
Old 24-07-2016, 08:52 PM
gregbradley

Ah yes well done. Now that is nicely done now. It looks great now.

Greg.
Old 25-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Well done George, you nailed it!

Nice work and a testimony to your persistence.