Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-07-2019, 01:08 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Anyone collimated a Tele Vue scope?

My recently acquired Pronto appears to be out of collimation, showing coma in star images at 60x. I contacted Bintel and Astronomy Alive and they both said the scope would need to be sent back to Tele Vue for re-collimation. However, the cost of doing this would be more than the scope is worth.

I've seen a handful of threads on CN suggesting that DIY collimation is possible although way beyond my own (non-existent) skills. So I thought I'd see if anyone here has ever done this successfully with a TV scope and might be willing to have a go at this one.
Old 17-07-2019, 01:19 PM
Profiler (Profiler)

You can try:

https://www.rogersopticsrestoration.com.au/
Old 17-07-2019, 01:25 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profiler View Post

Thanks. I've left a message. I do note, however, that Tele Vue is conspicuously absent from the list of supported brands on their website!
Old 17-07-2019, 01:45 PM
Fox

Morton, I think it’s Roger Davies most recently from Bintel in Melbourne, unfortunately now closed. He’s really knowledgeable and should give you a straight answer, Fox
Old 17-07-2019, 07:21 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Morton, have you seen this thread?
https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/3...e-vue-prontos/

I'd probably just ring TV. Good old phone is still a highly effective way to get answers quickly (unless it's a govt dept or something).
Old 17-07-2019, 07:28 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Is this true

" Whereas the TV76 has a 76mm full APO objective, the Pronto is a 70mm achromat. Read that again. No, it’s not a “semi-APO”, it’s an achromat! From what I have read (by a certain person who almost certainly knows), TeleVue used a cheap ED glass in the objective which has little or no effect on correction for chromatic aberration, but did allow them to use the letters “ED” when marketing it!"
Old 17-07-2019, 07:29 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

I would be interested in a thread about collimating refractors or web site please
Old 17-07-2019, 08:33 PM
Oddity (Andrew)

Roger is brilliant. I found a visit to his workshop and a nice long chat with him to be a privilege and that alone was well worth the drive to padstow. He’s got spare parts and bits of every kind too.
Old 18-07-2019, 12:24 AM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Roger replied and isn't put off by tackling a Tele Vue scope so I may pay him a visit.

I also discovered tonight that the retaining ring on the front of the lens was a bit loose. Tightening this by hand (and breaking several nails in the process) has made a dramatic improvement and the coma seems to be gone. It's not quite perfect but then the seeing is awful so it's hard to tell. Once I get a better night I'll do a proper star test but things are looking up.
Old 18-07-2019, 09:13 AM
Profiler (Profiler)

Roger is probably the best person going in Sydney so you have certaionly made the right choice when you consider/balance up the variables of cost vs value of the scope etc
Old 18-07-2019, 07:29 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

In better seeing tonight things are looking pretty good! Might take it to Roger for inspection anyway but I'm getting nice tight stars and good contrast. Just need to find a way to balance it better.
Old 18-07-2019, 09:36 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

I took my new one out for a spin last night , pretty poor seeing at the moment i believe, and a bit of smoke around and was happy enough at around 90 x , I dont expect it to be more than a nice compact widefield .
Though on the moon I found CA to really be minimal like its there but nothing like a any of the short achros I've looked through .

Over 2k when new in aus .
Old 19-07-2019, 11:17 AM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Yes, the CA is well controlled. On Jupiter it's more evident but not objectionable, and this is hardly a planetary scope anyway.