Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 14-09-2017, 10:06 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

SharpCap polar alignment tool

Well, I'm impressed. Despite the wind tonight, I finally got a chance to give this a go. I was able, in double-quick time - 5 minutes or so - to get an "excellent" alignment and so went into a quick imaging and guiding session and was able to maintain guiding results in the half-pixel range according to Maxim. This was with an old HEQ5pro, so no great shakes as a mount. Guiding was off-axis at 450FL. That's probably the best I've ever ver had from that rig.
Very pleased. Tomorrow, I will try my other rig on a NEQ6 at 1600FL.
Peter
Old 15-09-2017, 04:55 AM
GOTO (Geoff)

Thanks for the info Peter, I hope to try the same tomorrow night on my EQ6Pro and RC8 too.
Cheers
Geoff
Old 15-09-2017, 06:08 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTO View Post
Thanks for the info Peter, I hope to try the same tomorrow night on my EQ6Pro and RC8 too.
Cheers
Geoff
Just remember that Sharpcap PA requires a minimum 2 degree field of view around the SCT, and some long focal length scopes maybe unsuitable to deliver that. However, it can work fine with most any sort of guide scope clamped into the mount dovetail for PA alignment. Just make sure your guidescope is pointed straight in its rings. It is a great time saver and produces fantastic accuracy.
Old 15-09-2017, 07:24 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

I'm using it with an FOV 1.4x0.9deg. But its lined up pretty close to SCP before I use sharpcap. Robin has expanded the number of stars etc - its a breeze to use (be even better if my mount wasn't so bumpy when I adjust the alt/az).
Old 15-09-2017, 09:29 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

From what I can see, it doesn't support SBIG cameras? I was wondering whether I could use it with my SBIG Remote Guide Head, or even the STL-11000M? I do have a QHY5, but, I prefer the RGH as it does dark frames automatically without me having to go out there and cover the guide scope, as in the case of the QHY5.
Old 15-09-2017, 09:50 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
From what I can see, it doesn't support SBIG cameras? I was wondering whether I could use it with my SBIG Remote Guide Head, or even the STL-11000M? I do have a QHY5, but, I prefer the RGH as it does dark frames automatically without me having to go out there and cover the guide scope, as in the case of the QHY5.
Yeah. I wanted to make use of my STi cam but couldn't. The problem is, there's no bleedin' ASCOM driver for SBIG cams. I'm beggared if I know whey that is. SO I went back to the old QHY5 myself. It's OK for this purpose but I do prefer their QHY5-IIL for guiding.

Peter.
Old 15-09-2017, 10:15 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Maybe I could pop my finder on the guidescope and plonk the QHY-5 or Meade DSI-C on that? I'll have a look on the weekend.

H
Old 15-09-2017, 12:41 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Maybe I could pop my finder on the guidescope and plonk the QHY-5 or Meade DSI-C on that? I'll have a look on the weekend.

H
That's what I did. You don't even have to turn your mount on. The program oes a plate solve at the CWD position. You tnen rotate RA 90 degrees east or west and it does another. You say a quick prayer and it starts telling you up/down left/right and how much. It works best on a 2 degree field or more.
A guide scope is just about right.
Peter
Old 15-09-2017, 01:40 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I'll see if it's even physically possible for me to attach a camera to the Takahashi finder. I'm guessing probably not...

H
Old 15-09-2017, 01:42 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

According to PemPRO, I'm within half-a-minute of the pole according to its calculations. But, I'd love to see physically, as per SharpCap's plate solved output, how far I'm actually out.

H
Old 16-09-2017, 01:45 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
According to PemPRO, I'm within half-a-minute of the pole according to its calculations. But, I'd love to see physically, as per SharpCap's plate solved output, how far I'm actually out.

H
Don't forget that this system is aligning your mount's polar axis, not your scope. So it does not matter if your scope and guidescope are not orthogonal. For SharpCap's purposes any guidescope-size scope will do the job as long as it's in reasonable agreement with your mount. I've been using an old guidescope that I've butchered a bit to accept a 1 1/4 inch EP or guide cam. I focus by screwing the objective in and out. You could even strap it by gaffer tape to your main scope to run this test if you had to.

Peter
Old 16-09-2017, 09:54 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

It's a bit cold to go rummaging through the garage this morning. I'll have a poke around this afternoon.

H
Old 17-09-2017, 03:10 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Downloaded SharpCap Friday night and had a play with it, looks very good. Looks like it might become my software of choice when I go to an ASI1600mm-c. I don't need focusing control ( well, not yet anyway ) but managing the FW is going to be useful.
Old 19-09-2017, 09:44 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I have SharpCap and the QHY Polemaster (just acquired) - going to do a shoot-out to see which I prefer (can't lose seeing that SharpCap is free!). I have limited horizons east and west here, so I think Polemaster will suit my situation better.
Old 19-09-2017, 10:08 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Lewis,
The SharpCap works within 5 degree of the pole - no need for East/ West horizons....
Old 19-09-2017, 11:45 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Lewis,
The SharpCap works within 5 degree of the pole - no need for East/ West horizons....
That's what got my attention. I have no E\W horizons at all. Just waiting for the clouds to move on so I can test the function. I am pretty darn close but be nice to have a confirmation test.
Old 20-09-2017, 03:21 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Looks like I won't be able to test this one out. My view of the SCP just clears some trees. Once the mount is rotated 90 degrees either side of the meridian, I see my back fence and trees!

H
Old 20-09-2017, 03:25 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

H,
If the scope is set up to the park position, pointing to the pole with the weights downward, then rotating it on the RA axis by up to 90 degrees shouldn't take you very far from the pole......
The SharpCap software is trying to measure the rotational point of the axis vs the actual pole. The in-built plate solving routine has data for roughly 5 degrees around the pole down to 13 mag.........
Old 20-09-2017, 03:34 PM
glend (Glen)

Red face

I found Sharpcap PA will work without rotating all the way to 90 degrees. My obs south wall gives good view of the SCT but once i rotate to 90 degrees the wall occludes the view. I found rotating it just about 75-80 degrees it would solve and put the pointers in place.
Old 20-09-2017, 03:56 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Ah-hah. OK, so I might be able to use it after all!

Now, I just need to remove my Remote Guide Head and find my QHY-5 again.

Thanks, guys.

H