Old 19-07-2017, 11:15 PM
raymo

Nbn ???

Checked my speeds this evening on my newly acquired NBN, and as I
watched, it slowly sagged from 23Mbps down to 3.9Mbps, and stayed
there for a few minutes. During this period the upload speed stayed at 4.6Mbps, higher than the download speed. Surely this is not normal.
raymo
Old 20-07-2017, 12:08 AM
Exfso (Peter)

What sort of system do you have? FTTN, FTTH Wireless etc
If FTTN how far are you from the node?
Also what plan as far as speeds go?
Old 20-07-2017, 02:44 AM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Who are you with?
Don't be surprised if after you contact them that they say it's...
"due to congestion."

Load of old rubbish.
Old 20-07-2017, 07:27 AM
poppasmurf (Shane)

This happened to me maybe 2-3 times just after connecting to telstra NBN, never looked into it but since then I have not seen my dl go below 19Mbs or UL below 4Mbs.

Shane
Old 20-07-2017, 01:45 PM
raymo

Thank you all. I am with Westnet[iinet], and am FTTN. 25Mbps, so am
happy with the up to now "normal" speed of between 15 and 20.
I have no idea how far from the node I am, or indeed, how to find out.
raymo
Old 20-07-2017, 02:44 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)
bewise betold neverbecold

this link might be helpful for some
see what speed you should get in your area

http://nbnmtm.australiaeast.cloudapp.azure.com/

geoff
Old 20-07-2017, 05:58 PM
raymo

Thanks Geoff, Naturally I'm in an area that has no speed estimate.
raymo
Old 20-07-2017, 08:20 PM
Exfso (Peter)

I would definitely keep tabs on the download speeds, if you are on the 25/5 plan, it really should not drop to below 10Mbps in peak periods unless they do not have enough backhaul, which being IINet that would be the case. I have a 100/40 with IINet and currently it is peak period here and the download has dropped to 52Mbps from and average of 95Mbps. In about 2 hrs it will go back up into the 90's. I am about 150metres from the node. You will note that ping times increase with increased traffic periods. My normal ping is around 8ms tonight it is 60ms due to traffic increase.
Just did another speed test, and it is now down to 21Mbps with a ping of 120ms, definitely not enough backhaul to satisfy customers. A filthy email is on its way. If this keeps up one will have enough ammo to get out of the contract and go to someone who looks after their customers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20-07-2017 8-56-36 PM.png)
45.3 KB19 views

Last edited by Exfso; 20-07-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 20-07-2017, 08:50 PM
raymo

Just checked, ping 38, D 5.10 U 5.7, so again the U is faster than the D.!!!!
raymo
Old 20-07-2017, 10:14 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

Raymo, are you on a contract with iinet?

As they are owned by TPG , they use TPG backhaul , which is typically not great.

If you are not on contract, have a look on whirlpool.net.au Aussie Broadband seems to have rave reviews. I'm not with them myself, but I do watch to see who is looking after their customers.

As for copper length to the node, I simply asked my ISP and they told me. My home connection is 931m, and I get 33/12 even at that length.

Either way, I would be complaining about the lack of speed. If they wont help you in reasonable time, I think you would have legitimate grounds to move to another provider without penalty.
Old 21-07-2017, 12:14 AM
luka
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Just checked, ping 38, D 5.10 U 5.7, so again the U is faster than the D.!!!!
raymo
Your post (and the measurement) came around 7pm which is the peak time. Try later at night or during daytime and if the speed goes up then it is definitely congestion and you should complain. If this happens often you may be able to use it to break contract, if you have one.
And if the speeds still stay low during daytime then something else is wrong and you should complain.
Old 21-07-2017, 02:21 AM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Just a heads-up...
Stay away from OPTUS.
I'm on the 25/5, FTTN plan & all is good, but it took "them" quite a while
to sort out the problem/s.
I'm just 800 Metres from the node.

You may want to check out the posts at the "Optus Yes Crowd" fora.

Many dis-satisfied, long term & new, customers...

& yet, "they" still push the customers towards the higher plan/s, when "they" know darn well that "they"
can't supply those speeds & extra features.
Old 21-07-2017, 10:39 AM
raymo

Thanks everyone. 19Mbps right now; Down around 3 to 4 in the
evenings, so will get onto iinet.
raymo
Old 28-07-2017, 12:08 PM
glend (Glen)

There is an interview today with NBN Chief Executive Bill Morrow, located here:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/on...6fafa2e2f7db87

Mr Morrow is unhappy about the constant complaining about the NBN and gives some example of how the retailers of NBN are buying lower capacity from NBN so that they can sell lower speed services in a price war to build subscriber numbers. He claims there are plenty of high speed options, but the Connectivity Virtual Circuit that retailers buy is often the bottleneck. If your ISP is trying to pack many subscribers onto a smaller CVC to keep its cost down, your performance will be impacted. There is very little info published on what ISP CVC speeds actually are but apparentl Telstra says they will publish theirs later this year.

Effectively NBN is the carrier, and have no impact on what the ISP retailers can charge, or what mix of CVCs they buy to service their customers. This explains the big variability that users see. So if you think your service is slow, first port of call is your ISP, and don't accept them blaming the NBN, it's the ISP's business atrategy that is slowing you down.
Old 28-07-2017, 05:40 PM
doppler (Rick)

My internet is slow due to old copper lines (6.5mbs line speed), as long as the NBN works they won't replace the copper. Apparently there is no guaranteed minimum speed or at least I couldn't find any info online.
Old 28-07-2017, 06:09 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
My internet is slow due to old copper lines (6.5mbs line speed), as long as the NBN works they won't replace the copper. Apparently there is no guaranteed minimum speed or at least I couldn't find any info online.
How far are you from the fibre node? Who is your NBN retailer (ie ISP). Based on what Bill Morrow said, you should be able to switch to a competitor who has a higher throughput circuit. So distance to the node, and you ISP determine your speed, Copper lines themselves are not that bad provided your close to the fibre node box. Easy to find them, a green box about the size of a fridge.
Old 28-07-2017, 08:13 PM
doppler (Rick)

400m to the node, it's the copper. Our Asdl2 used to stuff up once a year, corrosion, brown outs and running at 1.5mbs. The NBN co spent a week or so cleaning up the copper junction box up the road getting ready for the node, the ASDL speed jumped up to 4mbs until the NBN switch over.

I could change over to another isp from TPG (I don't have a contract for that reason) but from what I've heard from others in the area their NBN is not much chop either. It's fast enough for my needs and a good price for unlimited with no contract, but not the high speed touted lol.
Old 29-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Still a crapfest at my place, still getting dropouts, on average 5 a day. Not bloody impressed. A NBN tech was supposed to come around on Thursday, did not happen, for some reason it was cancelled and I was not notified. Now supposed to be coming on Monday, not holding my breath on that either. It is not the modem that is at fault, as I have exactly the same issue with the IINet supplied unit and the latest all singing all dancing Billion 8700VAX which gets a great write up on Whirlpool. It would be very interesting to see if it still happened with another ISP.
Old 29-07-2017, 08:49 PM
doppler (Rick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
It would be very interesting to see if it still happened with another ISP.
But what ISP is better, Telstra (the one with the premium service at a premium price) is mentioned here in Mackay a lot as not caring about its customers and then passing the blame to the NBN co.
Old 29-07-2017, 10:12 PM
luka
Unregistered User

All ISPs are bad and are over-provisioning. It just depends where you are and how bad it is.

It is also too easy for ISPs to shift the blame onto NBN considering the bad publicity it (deservingly) gets in the media. The whole rollout has been like dog's breakfast thanks to the politicians being politicians

Anyway, for example, Telstra may be better in one area but worse in the other. That explain why some are swearing by some ISPs while the others are swearing at the same ISPs. And it can all change from month to month as well.