Old 30-06-2017, 02:37 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

ED120 on Heq5 for imaging

Hi guys, thinking of my next scope purchase for imaging. After the whole dud of a newt fiasco from GSO, I've decided on a nice ED refractor. I'd like as much aperture as possible without over burdening my heq5, do you think the ED120 (skywatcher or hioptic/northgroup/explore scientific) will be ok on the heq5? I'll be using just the 50mm finder guider. I'm hoping for the scope to be stable enough for 10 min exposures (I'd most likely be doing 5 mins but nice to have the option to go longer). The 120mm are around 9~10kg and the heq5 is theoretically rated for 12kg so I'd be pushing it close. Anyone have any personal experience with this aperture refractor on this mount?

EDIT: I see that there is a significant weight difference between the triplet and doublet (which makes sense ) So i guess the question now is, which is more worth it for the value and are either a worthwhile upgrade from my ed80?

Last edited by that_guy; 30-06-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:56 PM
raymo

The HEQ5 is rated for 13.7kg for observing. I've had my 200mm f/5
Newt on mine for the last four years[total around 11kg], and had no weight related problems, just make sure it is properly balanced.
raymo
Old 03-07-2017, 07:25 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

the triplet weighs in at 8.5kg, with guide camera, dslr and finder guider that goes to 10kg. I think thats doable.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:01 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

As long as you've got a well behaved HEQ5Pro it should be fine.
I've got a 10'ish kg rig for my FSQ/OAG/QHY9/Mount hub pro setup and the tracks happily.

Like Raymo have also had an 8" Newt on for imaging in the past with success too.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:58 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Decided to upgrade the mount anyways aha. Didnt want to push the heq5 too far. Most likely going to buy either the neq6 or the new eq6r if i cant find a decent 2nd hand neq6
Old 29-07-2017, 11:54 PM
Visionary (David)

Cgem-dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Decided to upgrade the mount anyways aha. Didnt want to push the heq5 too far. Most likely going to buy either the neq6 or the new eq6r if i cant find a decent 2nd hand neq6
I am simply "over the Moon" with my new CGEM-DX. I purchased it at a clearance price = to an NEQ6-Pro but a much more solid mount, employing encoders and servos (linear) as against the steppers in a NEQ6-Pro. I REALLY wish some had told me about the CGEM-DX before I had purchased the mounts that preceded the CGEM-DX!