Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-09-2017, 08:27 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

An NGC 253

A Sculptor Galaxy (NGC 253) from last night. Clouds and a tree derailed things a bit but ended up with 28x 5 minute subs (ISO800) using my modded Canon 40D win combination with my f9 ED100 (with .85x FF/FR) refractor. Captured in my red zone backyard using Sequence Generator Pro and processed in StarTools. Lots of wind initially which made for poor seeing and jumpy guiding (using an OAG) and the sky was particularly bright. In the end I was reasonably happy with the noisy result but always keen for advice. Colour is still an issue and will probably always be using the CLS-CCD filter, but the results I get not using it seem inferior in other ways. My only thought is do a greater number of shorter subs (3 minutes) or lower the ISO to 400 and stick to 5 minutes subs to help with noise. The 5 minute subs with the fiiter seem okay on this object though although perhaps I’m missing something?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC253 final large.jpg)
66.5 KB78 views
Click for full-size image (NGC253 close up no binning.jpg)
190.8 KB112 views
Old 26-09-2017, 08:26 AM
PKay (Peter)

Hi Ben

Being new to this game i have quickly learnt that when the seeing is poor (wind, clouds) just pack it in and go home.

I can never find decent focus, and the guiding system struggles.

And after persevering on a few occasions, no amount of processing can fix 'the mess'.

Having said that, you did get a result so good effort and perseverance!
Old 26-09-2017, 09:10 AM
Mickoid (Michael)

Ben, considering the less than average conditions, you've managed to pull out some detail and structure so credit to you for giving it a go. I have the same filter but never use it on galaxies as I find, like you, the colour always looks a bit odd. I guess under highly light polluted skies, this filter seems the best option. I captured this galaxy a few weeks back using an unmodified canon DSLR and the colours look good. Try adding some more data using a UV/IR cut filter on your modded camera without the CLS ccd filter.

With a rather slow scope ( f9 ) and CLS ccd filter, you are forced to increase your sub length or risk more noise by upping the ISO, so it's a bit tough for you. I have also noticed the sky is brighter than normal despite the moon set and clear skies.

Great effort with a 4 inch by the way.
Old 26-09-2017, 12:39 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

I hear you Peter! I’m still new to Sequence Generator Pro so really the night was also a lot about getting a work flow happening.

As for the CLS filter I think it helps counter balance the modded camera a little but really should have used my undmodded 600D on this! Just need a new dark library for it.... just when I think I’m on top of a few things! Many thanks for the suggestions :-) If I get a less windy night I’ll try some lower ISO light frames with the f5 8” Newt.
Old 26-09-2017, 06:29 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Just shows what can be achieved with even small aperture telescopes. Obviously aperture helps but it isn’t NEEDED. Of course, it all depends on the result that you’re happy with.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:59 AM
Benjamin (Ben)

Here is my second crack at this using a 200mm Newtonian and an unmodded Canon 600D. Colour is much easier to manage although not necessarily right (i.e. my lack of understanding)! Taken Friday night (roughly half moon) from my red zone backyard with a camera sensor temperature around the 30C mark. Not ideal but had to try :-)

23x 5 minute guided subs, ISO400, Canon 600D, 200m f5 Newtonian on HEQ5 with Coma Corrector.

Captured using Sequence Generator Pro (still trying to work out a better start up process?), calibrated and stacked in Nebulosity and processed in StarTools.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (4C25862A-5DA6-4789-BB8D-228CF78BE120.jpg)
77.6 KB49 views
Old 01-10-2017, 09:10 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

That's actually pretty good Ben. Slight magenta in the outer arms but not much to speak of. A good job overall.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:30 AM
PKay (Peter)

Huge improvement!
Well done.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Interesting results there....
Is your modded camera fitted with a Baader replacement filter? (or similar)
Old 01-10-2017, 12:42 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

From a light polluted location and half moon in the sky using a DSLR, you couldn't ask for any better than that! Great job on photographing and processing.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:46 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Interesting results there....
Is your modded camera fitted with a Baader replacement filter? (or similar)
Not sure Ken. I believe the 40D has just had the front filter removed? Picked it up from Diego here on iceinspace a while back. Certainly makes a difference on various Nebula and, with its battery eliminator, the sensor doesn’t run quite so hot. Still quite noisy though. 600D has a much finer noise pattern (assume it’s just the newer sensor).
Old 01-10-2017, 03:43 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Ben,
Thanks. Only checking as the normal replacement filter used in the standard Mod is also a UV-IR cut, so an additional UV-IR filter shouldn't be required......
Old 01-10-2017, 06:14 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

I thought I’d try combining all my subs on this image and to my surprise it worked in Nebulosity (translation + rotation + scale). So now it’s 51x 5 minute subs. Think this is possibly the best of the three and stars are nicer too I think? First image past 4 hours :-)
On Astrobin: www.astrobin.com/314860/
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (3ECC570C-E886-410B-BEF9-38972873539D.jpeg)
182.7 KB48 views
Old 02-10-2017, 08:41 AM
Fernando

Hi,

As someone getting into astrophotography, it seems great. Compared to yours, mine looks "ugly" (My second astrophoto - Sculptor Galaxy).
I used ISO800. Will try ISO400 next time.

Regards, Fernando
Old 02-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Benjamin (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
Hi,

As someone getting into astrophotography, it seems great. Compared to yours, mine looks "ugly" (My second astrophoto - Sculptor Galaxy).
I used ISO800. Will try ISO400 next time.

Regards, Fernando
My first pics I don’t think I’ve ever shown anybody! Looks like you have something there in your image, just need to pull back a bit in stretching it perhaps although I’m new to this as well. Lots and lots of trial and (mostly) error! I have lots of versions of my image. I’m doing my best not to overdo anything: cop some of the noise and not always a black background so that the object seems more ‘natural’ and related to the camera and scope that took the image. Well that’s what I tell myself anyway