Old 12-10-2017, 06:08 PM
jimmyh1555 (James)
jimmyh1555

files and all that

My Pentax produces RAW files with extension .DNG. No software seems to like it - certainly not DSS, so I googled up a converter programme and converted it into .TIFF. The original file was about 12MB. The resulting TIFF file was 139MB - HUGE. I tried to load that one into Star Tools which is supposed to accept TIFF files, and the whole thing - not surprisingly - blew out and everything crashed. The programme (free) was Zamzar. Took 19 min to convert it. I cant believe that those files should be so huge. HELP
Old 12-10-2017, 06:40 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

James, go to here
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/di...rofile_Creator
there is a series of small downloads on this page that may help.
I vaguely remember that massively increased file size was a problem when I first looked at this format. But the actual DNG from your camera would be smallish, and it'll be interesting to see if Adobe software can convert and maintain a reasonable size.
Uncompressed TIFF is usually large, but not that large, and JPG without compression should be smaller than the RAW.
maybe why most other camera makers haven't gone with Adobes attempt to capture the RAW market.
Trev
Old 13-10-2017, 01:49 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

What do you expect? 24 bit colour MEANS 24 bits (size of data) for EVERY pixel, consisting of Red , green and Blue pixels at a range each of 8bits and now 10/12/16 bit range, so RGB = 3x 8bit = 24 bits of data to represent ONE pixel. Multiply by the width of the image and the height gives you the total bits of data needed for each frame. Divide by 8 to get the total number of bytes of data. Then divide by 1,024 and again and again to get KB, MB, GB sizes. Its a LOT of data. TIFF is meant to be for uncompressed data, its been around for decades and is widely supported and robust file format (unlike DNG which is hardly used, its aimed at cameras). But even still the same data amount if what is captured and has to be stored, most file formats have options for uncompressed and compressed data storage. Compressed generally means losing data.

You're using low end free software so be thankful it supports anything besides JPEG files. All that data takes time to copy around on memory cards and hard drives, no storage hardware has instantaneous speeds, so again the cheaper options limit how fast files can be copied around, which HAS to happen when converting files from one format to another. Most freeware software also only implements the simpler file format options, not always All of them and the routines for processing may be simpler and less accurate, especially when "ultra fast" is a big feature they advertise.
Old 13-10-2017, 02:14 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyh1555 View Post
My Pentax produces RAW files with extension .DNG. No software seems to like it - certainly not DSS, so I googled up a converter programme and converted it into .TIFF. The original file was about 12MB. The resulting TIFF file was 139MB - HUGE. I tried to load that one into Star Tools which is supposed to accept TIFF files, and the whole thing - not surprisingly - blew out and everything crashed. The programme (free) was Zamzar. Took 19 min to convert it. I cant believe that those files should be so huge. HELP
I recall CCD Stack will load DNG files. I used it but it was a long time ago. with a Pentax I think.
Old 13-10-2017, 06:38 PM
LightningNZ (Cam)

Quote:
Make sure you get version 3.3.4 of DSS it definitely handles DNG (and NEF) files.
Old 14-10-2017, 10:44 PM
jimmyh1555 (James)
jimmyh1555

Thanks Cam, I will try to download 3.3.4
Regarding another post here, I expected some more pleasant help such as what file extension to convert to, or positive help as to where to find out how to run it - NOT a lecture on arithmetic and what to expect from "Low end" "free" software. I notice that most people who post on this forum use "free" software, so, to make disparaging remarks about it and to infer it is basically useless (and to be "thankful" it will do anything) is not, in my opinion, appropriate on this forum.
BTW, my Pentax KP cost $1400 - that's not cheap, and Pentax use .DNG files developed by Adobe. That's not a freeware company either.
Old 15-10-2017, 10:05 AM
LightningNZ (Cam)

DSS is good software. It works and thousands of astrophotographers (including myself) use it to take some very respectable photos. Another option is Iris, which is older and clunkier but but much more powerful. It won't be any better at handling DNG files though.

If you haven't already, see if there are windows drivers for your camera. In the past I've downloaded these for my Canon and Nikon cameras and they will let windows preview your RAW files - and perhaps the DNGs as well (Pentax have their own proprietary format RAW as well as DNG, so I don't know what their drivers - if they have them - will support).

If you need to convert file formats, stick to 16-bit TIFF. If you need any other help, just ask. Ignore the jerks who try to use this hobby a way to show off their latest d!ck extension. Everything I have is second hand, I've had to scrimp and save, and so is the software (aside from StarTools which I recently purchased). I take pictures I'm pretty happy with, and others who I share them with online are too.

Cheers,
Cam

Quote:
Thanks Cam, I will try to download 3.3.4
Regarding another post here, I expected some more pleasant help such as what file extension to convert to, or positive help as to where to find out how to run it - NOT a lecture on arithmetic and what to expect from "Low end" "free" software. I notice that most people who post on this forum use "free" software, so, to make disparaging remarks about it and to infer it is basically useless (and to be "thankful" it will do anything) is not, in my opinion, appropriate on this forum.
BTW, my Pentax KP cost $1400 - that's not cheap, and Pentax use .DNG files developed by Adobe. That's not a freeware company either.
Old 15-10-2017, 01:47 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

I had weird stacks too - but mine looked more like cuisenaire rods than lego.

+1 with 3.3.4. That fixed it for me with a dcraw update to read raw files from DSLRs.
This fixed it - but sorry I can't remember where I found it.

Last edited by ChrisV; 15-10-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 17-10-2017, 10:14 AM
LightningNZ (Cam)

http://deepskystacker.free.fr/downlo...Stacker334.rar
Old 18-10-2017, 10:26 AM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

I shoot with Pentax and use DSS and it definitely handles DNG raw files.

You need to change file type to raw (supports a number of different raw file types including DNG) in the drop down selection on the RHS of the dialog box that opens when you do your selection of light frames.
Old 19-10-2017, 09:50 PM
jimmyh1555 (James)
jimmyh1555

files and all that

Thanks, folks! I have now at long last managed to load DSS 3.3.4 onto my laptop and will give it a whirl when the RAIN stops (Oh dear, the MOON is coming along soon) . Orion is racing in from the East, and just BEGS to be photographed