Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-07-2017, 09:49 PM
billybear (BILLY)
billy

Lense ideas for a skywatch az2

Hi all, I've been gifted a skywatch az2 (yes I know it's very basic). It came with 2x barlow and a super 25 wide angle lens, but I'd like some advice on any other lenses that might give better planetary viewing.

Ps - please don't tell me to buy another telescope

Billy
Old 23-07-2017, 09:52 AM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

The AZ2 refers to the mount (tripod). Can you confirm what model the telescope is? I'm guessing it might be a 70mm refractor like this one?

http://www.ozscopes.com.au/skywatche...telescope.html
Old 23-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybear View Post
Hi all, I've been gifted a skywatch az2 (yes I know it's very basic). It came with 2x barlow and a super 25 wide angle lens, but I'd like some advice on any other lenses that might give better planetary viewing.

Ps - please don't tell me to buy another telescope

Billy
I suggest an EP in the 8 to 11mm range. Anything lower than 8mm, your scope will give such a narrow field of view that the planets will travel through rapidly and U will find it difficulty to keeping tracking with an AZ2 mount.

A 10mm, Super Skywatcher EP can be purchased for $10 (+ postage) from AstroPetes (check it out on his website). This would be similar in quality to the 25mm EP that came with the scope.

A step up in quality are the Vixen NPL Plossl EPs available from MyAstroshop. (Again, check the web). The 10mm would be my recommendation and is available for $55 (+postage).

Stepping up again in quality and price, Televue plossls are available from Bintel and 8mm and 11mm EPs are available. (Again, check the Web).

If U have a mind for reselling if interest in Astronomy waines, Televue EPs can be sold separately for 50 to 80 % of their purchase price (depending on age & condition and the value of the $), whereas the other 2 EPs mentioned will not attract much interest.
Old 23-07-2017, 12:00 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

I'd recommend buying used to avoid wasting money. There are usually plenty for sale in the classifieds. Place a Wanted ad if you know what you're after.
Old 23-07-2017, 05:49 PM
billybear (BILLY)
billy

Thanks for all of the responses, it's telling of my newbie status that I didn't realise it applied to the tripod! It's a 70/700 refractor that's right!

I'l have a look at your suggestions Tropo-Bob, much appreciated.
Old 23-07-2017, 08:06 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

The 7mm TMB in the classifieds is worth considering:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=158592