Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 16-08-2013, 09:29 AM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

Anyone imagine Ha OIII and SII with a Ha 6nm filter?

Hi guys.

I picked up a 6nm Ha filter from bintel the other day. I actually went in for the 12nm but they offered me the 6 for a good price so I took it. Have done no research on the 6 before buying it, I'm now reading that combining the 6nm with other narrow band images can be very difficult. Astronomik even stage on thier site that the 12nm is better for this purpose. Does anyone have any real experience with this filter?

Should I have bought the 12 as my original purpose was to combine with other narrow bands?

Thanks
Old 16-08-2013, 09:46 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
Hi guys.

I picked up a 6nm Ha filter from bintel the other day. I actually went in for the 12nm but they offered me the 6 for a good price so I took it. Have done no research on the 6 before buying it, I'm now reading that combining the 6nm with other narrow band images can be very difficult. Astronomik even stage on thier site that the 12nm is better for this purpose. Does anyone have any real experience with this filter?

Should I have bought the 12 as my original purpose was to combine with other narrow bands?

Thanks
I don't see why it would be a problem. A lot of people, myself included, are successfully using 3nm Ha filters with wider OIII and SII filters.

Very narrow filters may not work as well with very fast optical systems but I wouldn't worry about that unless you're at f/3 or less.

There's some good info here: http://www.astrodon.com/Orphan/astrodonfaqnarrowband/

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 16-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

3 or 6nm Ha is far better than 12nm for imaging, esspecially in a city, narrow means more detail and less pollution. Yes, wider OIII and SII gives bigger stars leaving an ugly fringe, but if you use Ha as lum and the other as a colour blend (LRGB) detail in SII OIII is less important so you can reduce the star size to the same as Ha stars in PS (or just a few clicks in Startools and many other apps). Better still, since star colour doesnt mean much in NB, just delete them in SII and OIII and your left with nice clean small white HA stars and full colour everywhere else.
Old 16-08-2013, 11:54 AM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

Thanks guys, I thought as much but when you read it straight from the horses mouth/website, it gives you cause for concern.

Got it just in time, just as the moon is getting out of control.

Cheers