Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-11-2019, 09:49 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
No need to obsess over this.
Experimentation is what is MOST important through what you can find, have access to, think of & use.

The material suggestions offered are from what has been used and our experiences. This niche application is still very new, and really the only things any of us can offer with any certainty has to do with thermal dynamics. Then what solutions work, which materials prove most effective and cost effective, only sharing of experiences will fill in the gaps in our collective knowledge.

Andrew,

You also bring up another important aspect to this discussion, and it is a very important one as it is one of the things this insulating wrap has as a spin off - dew control.

When offering up one's experience with this (and all other aspects of dew control), one must have in the forefront of one's argument the microclimate you are set up in. This has the one most important key to dew control - where you are set up will make the ultimate difference in whether you are dew-free, mildly affected or totally soaked right on sunset... AND this can vary with the seasons...

Andrew's experience of bugger all dew made me aware of this. It is important to recognize this and relay it as it can mean someone who reads this thread who does not understand dew and microclimate influence will see Andrew's post and adopt his solution only to encounter a world of pain from dew if their location is dew-central.

For me, my home has terrible dew. My dark site though has experienced dew four times in 10 years.

Keep in mind your dew situation.

Alex.
Old 16-11-2019, 10:58 AM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post

Andrew's experience of bugger all dew made me aware of this. It is important to recognize this and relay it as it can mean someone who reads this thread who does not understand dew and microclimate influence will see Andrew's post and adopt his solution only to encounter a world of pain from dew if their location is dew-central.

Alex.
Hi Alex, don't get me wrong, I have had dew forming on my 6" before, and had to get outside with the hair dryer more than once when I forgot to put to dew shield on! However, now I (usually) take note of the forecast weather conditions (which aren't always accurate ) and fit the dew shield early. However Sydney is generally much more humid than Melbourne (and has almost double the average annual rainfall than Melbourne), so dew control would be more of an issue as you get further north.

Anyway, it turned out easier than I thought to make the Corflute Cosy (tm), slicing half the flutes was a little tedious (especially for a 9.25") but I think it's turned out pretty well. I've only done the black metal tube at this stage, the end pieces are quite a bit thicker so wouldn't have fit as easily. Fortunately, the 5mm Corflute fits perfectly under the dovetail and the Evolution mount, so I was able to wrap the entire tube without any additional cut-outs. I probably could have done a better job aligning the black tape holding the ends together, oh well .The neoprene foam dew shield will side easily over the top, thanks again for the great advice.

I'll let you know how it turns out if I get out on Monday.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (C9.25 bare small rot.jpg)
155.8 KB12 views
Click for full-size image (C9.25 with corflute cosy small rot.jpg)
161.0 KB17 views
Old 16-11-2019, 11:47 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

A scope cosy. I like it. Can we get one knitted. ? Marc suggested football socks for my steel Nikko but for the 8 inch that would be a stretch.

I think the white black discussion is a little skewed. White coreflute would work better than black due to radiation across the air gap and a small conductive contact area. Shiny inside coreflute would be slightly better. White reflects 90% of radiation.

A black or white metal tube itself makes no difference as the principle of insulation is to create a temperature gradient so that the metal is kept above the dew point temperature. Also a vapour barrier to the wet air is also useful so perfectly sealing the flutes should help on that score. White only helps with reflection of radiant heat, but would keep your scope cool in the daytime.

Now a shiny metal tube would help when insulated with coreflute as it has a low emissivity. The same principle as low E glass.
Old 16-11-2019, 02:32 PM
Wavytone

Now that you mention socks I do pack a eyepiece and diagonal in a woolly sock...