ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2019, 03:27 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindman View Post
LASIK is something totally different.
I am aware of that. Just another that is done awake and looking up. I had the cousin of LASIK, PRK (Or LASEK depending on how a part of it goes) and the really oddball bit is they weaken and scrape off a layer of cells from the front of the cornea, it looks like someone wiping off a bit of cling wrap from your eye when they do it. If that is saved successfully and put back on to hasten healing it is LASEK, if not, PRK.

As to the OP. Good to see some of the info coming up here regards observing afterward. I don’t have cataracts yet but with some on both sides of the family it is a bit likely sometime in my future.

Last edited by The_bluester; 01-11-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:49 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

thanks to all the replies on this thread, its something I've been wondering about and the awake part terrifies me, i get flashbacks to my stroke terror just laying in bed have noticed further decline in eyesight in past 5yrs but putting off visiting for new glasses etc. no health cover anymore.no money etc.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:54 PM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
Thanks Wavy,

It’s the “awake looking up the whole time” bit I was sure was gonna be part of the deal. Yikes!
That's a deal breaker for me!
Old 04-11-2019, 01:44 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
thanks to all the replies on this thread, its something I've been wondering about and the awake part terrifies me, i get flashbacks to my stroke terror just laying in bed have noticed further decline in eyesight in past 5yrs but putting off visiting for new glasses etc. no health cover anymore.no money etc.

I wouldn't let it worry you too much. I was a bit concerned when I had the PRK done but when it came to it they do sedate you enough to keep you from getting silly while still being able to walk yourself in and out and do as you are asked, and they talk you through it to such an extent that it is practically over before you realise the bit you were worried about has begun.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:47 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

Hi All as I said I have already had my eyes done and the one great thing that has happen,is I am looking at the night sky as if I was in my twenty's and that was 50 years ago ,Peter Davis in Newcastle did mind and I can highly recommend him and his team

Ian
Old 08-11-2019, 08:22 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi All,

For those of you who read my long post above, I visited the optometrist in Orange for the final check of my eyes following cataract surgery three months ago. Optometrist was very impressed!

My right eye correction is 0 while the left eye is - 0.25 dioptre (the lens inserted in that one was deliberately -0.5 dioptre to make reading easier).

No astigmatism, perfectly healed capsuleotomy, no cell re-growth on either side of the lens, no wrinkles in the lens, transparent aqueous humour, intra-ocular pressure of 16 & 12 (was previously 26 & 28).

Spent some time scrolling through four charts asking me to read the bottom line. Net result is my vision is now 6/4. That means I can see the same level of detail in an image at 6 metres, that a person with normal vision (6/6) vision can see at 4 metres.

Perfect result -- they're back to where they used to be -- better than "normal vision".

The surgeon was Dr Basil Crayford in Orange NSW.

Best,

L.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:37 PM
Wavytone

Congratulations, Les !