Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-10-2019, 02:32 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

N44 Superbubble

Always wanted to tick this crazy shaped nebula off my target bucket list.
Big Mike said it looks like a wide mouth frog, others can see Admiral Akbar, Gremlins, Rabbits & Monsters in there - or maybe one of those pod critters from Invasion of the Body Snatchers!

Delighted to finally add this scalp to my collection of wacky objects in the LMC.

3.5 hrs Ha (600secs)
2 hrs O3
3 Hrs S2
RGB Stars: (12x 120 Secs ea)

Big Crazy A** thing Here

C&C Welcome as always

Technical blurb - A truly giant complex of emission nebulae, N44 is about 1,000 light-years across. (The Orion Nebula - M42 is only 25) It shines in southern skies as a denizen of our neighboring galaxy, the Large Magellanic Cloud, 170,000 light-years away. Winds and intense radiation from hot, young, luminous stars in N44 excite and sculpt filaments and streamers of the glowing nebular gas. But supernovae - the death explosions of the massive short lived stars - have also likely contributed to the region's enormous, blown-out shapes. The cluster of young stars seen near the center lies in a superbubble nearly 250 light-years across. (Apod)

This superbubble, is expanding outwards due to an interaction between two destructive forces generated by the stars at its center: Young stars in the cluster send out streams of charged particles (or stellar winds) that have cleared out the bubble center, and massive stars have exploded to create supernovae shock waves that push the gas out further.

Multiple smaller bubbles appear in the image as bulbous growths clinging to the central superbubble. Most of these regions were probably formed as part of the same process that shaped the central cluster.

(Anne's Astronomy News)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (N44C_SQ_IIS.jpg)
193.9 KB71 views
Old 27-10-2019, 03:30 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Yes, along with the NGC1760 region, this is the craziest neb in the LMC So many creatures and other things dwell within

Your result is certainly vibrant with some nice star colours blended in there Andy, great job

So...The Wacky Races tank is next...??

Mike
Old 28-10-2019, 07:24 AM
gregbradley

Another wonderful image. So detailed and a good solid exposure.
Did you use Starnet to bring out those details?

Greg.
Old 28-10-2019, 05:14 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Yes, along with the NGC1760 region, this is the craziest neb in the LMC So many creatures and other things dwell within

Your result is certainly vibrant with some nice star colours blended in there Andy, great job

So...The Wacky Races tank is next...??

Mike

Hey thanks Mike This one owed me - I spent 20 hrs on it last year but the 'scope was just out of collimation, so I couldn't use the data - nice to put this thing to bed now the 'scopes sorted again

Next target? Not sure, reckon I'm about ready to move on from the LMC having been there for a while recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Another wonderful image. So detailed and a good solid exposure.
Did you use Starnet to bring out those details?

Greg.
Hi Greg, thanks for the nice feedback!
Yes I'm a big fan of Starnet++ for my narrowband workflow - took a while to get it working on my mac, but I'm delighted with how smoothly it rips out those pesky stars!