Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 13-05-2014, 03:56 PM
ManUtdFans (Alan)

Move the dob - slide or partially

How do you guys move the dob(8" or 10")?
eg. move from garage to backyard, "dismantle" into the tube and base first
and then resemble the 2 things together, right?

But after you reached the backyard how about if you found the position is not good enough but need to move a bit further (1 metre to left, right... etc).
Old 13-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Varangian (John)

Move the dob

I fitted lockable castors to the bottom of my mount so I can push and lock in place at will (example attached).

Another option is to use a trolley

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-12-0-0-1-0.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (dob castors.jpg)
5.1 KB39 views
Old 13-05-2014, 04:45 PM
ManUtdFans (Alan)

John,

Great idea of using a trolley.
However, I don't have Polystyrene-foam packing, what do you think the replacement of it can be found in Bunnings?
Old 13-05-2014, 04:51 PM
noeyedeer (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtdFans View Post
John,

Great idea of using a trolley.
However, I don't have Polystyrene-foam packing, what do you think the replacement of it can be found in Bunnings?
or Clarke's rubber .. use high density foam ... I'd take a template made out of cardbooard and get them to cut out the semi circle

matt
Old 13-05-2014, 05:48 PM
Varangian (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeyedeer View Post
or Clarke's rubber .. use high density foam ... I'd take a template made out of cardbooard and get them to cut out the semi circle

matt
Yep that's what I would do a semi-circular cut of high density foam so the OTA slides in nice and snug - very cheap option. Just remember the strap!

Cheers.
Old 13-05-2014, 07:26 PM
sn1987a (Barry)

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/30...od-for-my-dob/.
Old 14-05-2014, 10:43 AM
ManUtdFans (Alan)

Which section in Clarke's rubber website I should be looking into?
Old 14-05-2014, 11:22 AM
noeyedeer (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtdFans View Post
Which section in Clarke's rubber website I should be looking into?
I'd be looking at this http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/closed...eva-foams.html
Old 14-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Varangian (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn1987a View Post
Great for something over 16" but maybe a bit overkill for an 8".
Old 14-05-2014, 01:00 PM
sn1987a (Barry)

The system I use on my 16 is two wheels permanently mounted on the front about 50 to 75 mm high of the ground and two aluminium tube wheel barrow handles that slide quickly in and out of two sets of collared eye bolts. Friction is more than enough to engage the eye bolts and the aluminium. Move your scope in and out of the house fully assembled around the yard and into your ute or van. It's a simple system that Scales to suit any sized Dob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image.jpg)
146.0 KB96 views
Old 14-05-2014, 01:14 PM
ManUtdFans (Alan)

Looks I can even use a cushion or bubble wraps?
Old 16-05-2014, 10:32 AM
SingleWord

I found Dob is a bit hard to keep the viewing object in field of view. Need to adjust the up/down and left/right of the tube as the result of earth/object movement, very hard to do a fine adjustment.
eg. Tuesday, viewing Saturn is a bit easier because of using the moon as reference (started from 7:45pm). What happen if other times how to adjust to keep Saturn in FOV?
Old 16-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Varangian (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleWord View Post
I found Dob is a bit hard to keep the viewing object in field of view. Need to adjust the up/down and left/right of the tube as the result of earth/object movement, very hard to do a fine adjustment.
eg. Tuesday, viewing Saturn is a bit easier because of using the moon as reference (started from 7:45pm). What happen if other times how to adjust to keep Saturn in FOV?
Nothing I'm afraid that's a limitation of the Alt-Azimuth mount of a Dob. Try a medium - powered eyepiece or a higher powered eyepiece with a greater FOV such as Explore Scientific / Nagler 82 degrees.
Old 20-05-2014, 02:04 PM
ManUtdFans (Alan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varangian View Post
I fitted lockable castors to the bottom of my mount so I can push and lock in place at will (example attached).

Another option is to use a trolley

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-12-0-0-1-0.html
I found that is little differences between these 2 trolleys visually from Bunnings:
http://www.bunnings.com.au/westmix-p...olley_p3350307
http://www.bunnings.com.au/250kg-p-h...tyres_p2972045
Old 20-05-2014, 04:52 PM
noeyedeer (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleWord View Post
I have a 10" dob, and can usually keep the object in the fov quite easily even with a 5mm eyepiece by nudging ever so slightly. if I totally lose it, I just use the finderscope.

with the finderscope I adjust it's alignment with each EP up to around 15mm, then it's usually spot on with my eps under 15mm. if I go lower I usually centre the object in the ep, and quickly switch to finder to note its position and where to relocate it if I go inside, lose it totally .. etc.

matt
Old 20-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Hi Alan,

+1 for castors. I bought a 10" dob with them already fitted and was so thankful it came with them! I have no idea how else to move in out of my garage for viewing otherwise.
Old 21-05-2014, 08:03 AM
Pinwheel (Doug)

I also fitted lockable castor wheels (x3) to the base of my 12" dob. However I still dismantle because of stairs & a door step. This will all be temporary till my observatory is built.
Old 21-05-2014, 08:19 AM
glend (Glen)

Castors are a bad idea in my opinion because they will transfer shock and vibration directly to the structure, with possible effects on collimation. An inflatable tyre trolley would be better. Secondly, if you are taking the dob to a dark site the castors will be useless on the ground and sink in or lead to instability. My dark site experience is that most people put down a small tarp and use pads of ply or something like that to level their scope. Leveling is important if your using setting circles so that you get accurate aiming.
The article by Mike Salway on Transporting a Dob, here on IIS is a good idea. Inflatable tyre trolleys are cheap and have other uses around tbe home.

My 16" dob has wheel barrow handles, which I built, and they make movement and setup very easy. I can even push the dob into the back of the 4wd (using ramps). There are plenty of options. Just forget the castors.
Old 21-05-2014, 04:02 PM
Pinwheel (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Castors are a bad idea in my opinion because they will transfer shock and vibration directly to the structure, with possible effects on collimation. An inflatable tyre trolley would be better. Secondly, if you are taking the dob to a dark site the castors will be useless on the ground and sink in or lead to instability. My dark site experience is that most people put down a small tarp and use pads of ply or something like that to level their scope. Leveling is important if your using setting circles so that you get accurate aiming.
The article by Mike Salway on Transporting a Dob, here on IIS is a good idea. Inflatable tyre trolleys are cheap and have other uses around tbe home.

My 16" dob has wheel barrow handles, which I built, and they make movement and setup very easy. I can even push the dob into the back of the 4wd (using ramps). There are plenty of options. Just forget the castors.
I should have stated I only move my Dob about 4 meters from my in house man cave to the verandah, I live at a dark site already!
Old 29-05-2014, 12:30 AM
ColHut (Colin)

If you get a trolley, make sure it has pneumatic tyres. It is much easier on the telescope.

Regards