Old 02-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Cool Buying imaging time for the Heart Nebula

Hi all!

I have been toying with an idea for quite some time. I have an anniversary coming up in 4 months with my partner and want to do something different. She absolutely loves space and is genuinely interested in astro imaging, always accompanying me when I image and admiring all the images posted here.

So I thought it would be a really nifty idea to image the heart nebula through a remote obs for her I've played with stellarium and seems like anywhere North of ~35deg latitude is ideal for this Nebula. At the moment it is quite low on the horizon but after 4 months (when our anniversary is) it should be high enough to get some good imaging data

My question is that are there any reputable remote imaging stations anyone can recommend that could image this nebula? And what is the ideal imaging month for this? My concern is that in 4 months I run the risk of winter when the skies may possibly be more cloudy.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2014, 07:27 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

I think iTelescope.net have the majority of the market for remote imaging that is easy for the public to use. The have a number of different scopes to choose from at different locations around the world.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Thank Trevor for your reply,

Yes I have been looking at their sites in Spain & New Mexico. I was hoping perhaps somebody may have experience using their services, or general advice from an international ISS'er about the neb. I think their T14 & T20 telescope would be ideal
Old 06-05-2014, 07:11 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Fred V here does adhoc work for iTelescope, he built the electronics for the roof mechanism for there implementation at siding springs. He also has his system running at their facility at siding springs. If he trusts them to look after his stuff, I'd say they are pretty good.

I know a couple of guys here in the past have used their scopes to image northern objects.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:01 PM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Thanks Trevor! I will see if I can get in touch with them and ask about their experience
Old 07-05-2014, 07:08 PM
pvelez (Pete)

I have my gear up at Siding Springs - Brad and Pete are excellent to deal with. The observatory is first class as far as amateurs are concerned.

I've also used their systems for remote imaging. I found that the gear over in New Mexico is more economical and there is a quite a good range - both wide field and longer focal length.

Contact Aussie Pete - let him know what you are after and he can steer you towards the best gear for your target.

Pete
Old 12-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Thanks Pete,

Great to hear another recommendation. Yes I've found their prices are quite reasonable, I've contacted them today so hopefully should get a reply soon. Very excited to try imaging through some very nice glass!