Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Old 21-04-2014, 09:24 PM
VirTel (Italia)

Next Solar Eclipse: support request for an international coverage

Dear All,

my name is Gianluca Masi, I'm a professional Italian astrophysicist, director of the Virtual Telescope Project (www.virtualtelescope.eu), an advanced facility making possible to the world to see important astronomical events live, via the web (some of you are regular viewers there).

We were asked by a lot of people to show the next upcoming solar eclipse, but of course it is not visible from Italy, so I would like to ask is someone on this forum, likely going to observe it, is willing to give us a little help while she/he is observing it: it would require a minimum effort and it would be, trust me, a lot of fun!

We did something similar for the recent lunar eclipse and it was a planetary success (here it is a report http://www.virtualtelescope.eu/2014/...uvenir-poster/ )

If you are curious to learn more and to be part of this amazing event, please write me at info @ virtualtelescope . eu (without spaces).

Best regards to all and keep looking at the wonders of the night sky!

Sincerely
Gianluca Masi

--
dr. Gianluca Masi, PhD
Astrophysicist and Science Communicator
The Virtual Telescope Project
www.virtualtelescope.eu

Last edited by VirTel; 22-04-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 22-04-2014, 04:25 PM
VirTel (Italia)

We are not proposing something scientific, just asking providing almost real time images of the eclipse, to share them with the world during our live feed.

Last edited by iceman; 23-04-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 22-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Given it seems you are a commercial organisation, im sure itelescope would be happy to make a commercial arrangment with you for this event.
Old 22-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Rob_K

Anyway, a great thing for anyone with the capabilities and interest! Get involved!

Cheers -

Last edited by iceman; 23-04-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 22-04-2014, 06:27 PM
VirTel (Italia)

Thanks Rob for your message.

Just to make things clear, the Virtual Telescope is NOT a commercial organization: we run almost 50 online events per year, all of them with free access, as our goal is share the sky with everyone around the globe, especially those unable to easily access (for many reasons) typical, remote observatories. Since Sept. 2012, more than two millions of individuals from 200 Countries looked at the stars via the Virtual Telescope, for free.

Only this April, celebrating the 5th edition of Global Astronomy Month, we hosted 6 events, some of them were very big efforts. I wish to mention these podcast recordings:

- Online Messier Marathon - 6th edition:
http://www.virtualtelescope.eu/2014/...-2014-podcast/

- Near-Earth asteroid 2014 GN1 close encounter:
http://www.virtualtelescope.eu/2014/...-2014-podcast/

- 15 April total lunar eclipse:
http://www.virtualtelescope.eu/2014/...uvenir-poster/

In some cases, we are asked by institutions, like JPL/Nasa, to provide this live coverage for some special events, all this - again - for free.

All this is based on a volunteer effort, with no funding by any institution; we survive and pay bills thanks to donations coming from those trusting our services and those willing to use our robotic telescopes for their own imaging/scientific needs. Putting together all this stuff was a crazy, expensive dream of the undersigned, but I'm still happy to have done this!

You are very welcome to discover how the VT works to bring all this to the world.

So, our public activities are 100% free, thanks to that handful of people freely supporting all the big effort from time to time.

That said, I wish to thank those interested in our call: we were asked by our followers to investigate this opportunity, so I managed to put the call here.

Wish you a great eclipse observing!

Yours
Gianluca
Old 23-04-2014, 06:14 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Gianluca

Sounds like a great initiative. I did a live-feed once for SLOOH, a couple of years ago during a Total Lunar Eclipse. It was a lot of fun and very exciting to be involved in.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be in a position to do it this year for the partial eclipse, but I hope you get some takers!
Old 23-04-2014, 05:05 PM
VirTel (Italia)

Dear Mike,

thank you so much! a few members of this great group are in contact with me and we are brainstorming about this idea.

I love how technology can make possible to people from all around the globe to join and look at something out there, happening in a part of the sky physically not visible.

should you be able to take some images, feel free to share them with us!

All the best from a rainy Rome, Italy... waiting for clear skies
Gianluca

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Hi Gianluca

Sounds like a great initiative. I did a live-feed once for SLOOH, a couple of years ago during a Total Lunar Eclipse. It was a lot of fun and very exciting to be involved in.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be in a position to do it this year for the partial eclipse, but I hope you get some takers!
Old 01-05-2014, 01:39 AM
VirTel (Italia)

Dear ALL,

the eclipse coverage from AU went very well and I wish to thank again this forum for hosting our call and those who joined!

Soon, I will share a full report with you, I anticipate that more than 20.000 individuals from about 140 Countries joined the live session, truly a huge success.

More soon, but I wanted to thank again you for consideration.

Best
Gianluca
Old 03-05-2014, 03:59 AM
VirTel (Italia)

Dear Friends,

here it is the report from the recent solar eclipse live event! Thanks again to the form board and to those who joined!

http://www.virtualtelescope.eu/2014/...uvenir-poster/

Best
Gianluca
Old 07-05-2014, 08:14 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Gian

I so love the work that you do! More recently a couple of weeks ago, I watched your live coverage of the Messier Marathon and oh boy I had a ball, and you are a fantastic narrator!
I'm so glad this solar event went so well with Aussie contributions and fellow IceInSpacers were able able to help out. We sure have a great community here and I'm so proud to be part of it.

I love your poster (some gorgeous pics!) and I'm working my way through watching the live event on YouTube as I missed most of it due to cloud. I got to see very little as I had too much cloud surrounding me, but what I saw briefly was exciting all the same. Toowoomba, which is about 2 hours from Brisbane seemed to have the best views- Geoffrey Wyattf from there sure did take some amazing cloud free pics (as in your poster).

You do fantastic astronomy outreach work and Mike and I will continue to promote these collaborative events on the IceInSpace facebook page where southerners can help. Thank you to our IceInSpace facebook fans & people here on the forum for helping to make this such an enjoyable event.
And thank you also for the mention in the report- I blushed a bit .
Old 07-05-2014, 10:09 PM
VirTel (Italia)

Dear Suzy,

I wish to thank again you, Mike and the whole ISS community for your warm hospitality! Also, some of ISS members were really vital for the Solar Eclipse coverage and for me has been such a privilege to work with this wonderful team.

Also, thank you so much for your very kind words. We share the same feeling, the same love for the sky and are always so happy to bring the stars to people around.

Please accept my best greetings and wishes and keep up your wonderful work.

Sincerely
Gianluca