Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 14-07-2019, 10:21 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Android authentication error.

So I get this message on my tablet...and I think I have tried everything and sure I would like to fix it but I get the impression "its just one of those things" as if a supplier can just market stuff with what seems a major flaw and yet its so ho hum.
Has anyone else encountered the problem and been able to fix it without a total reset..which seems the only option I have not tried.. uy an app...sure but I cant get the tablet on to the net so how do I get an app????...do a total reset and I lose everything I less I back it up..not good enough I recon.
Anyways maybe I am just tired and cranky but I am so annoyed if the situation is as it seems to me...why does the problem go on unfixed??? A d o e is expected to wazte time fixing it..if at all it seems.
Alex
Old 15-07-2019, 08:36 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Can you please rewrite what the problem is? I reckon you wrote this whilst very tired.
What exactly is wrong with the tablet?
Old 15-07-2019, 09:40 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

If it is the latest Android update, you aren't alone. My wife's Samsung S9 phone crashed, and had to be factory reset (which is VERY annoying as it has a company profile on it!), and both our kid's Samsung Galaxy phones had to be factory reset. Android seems to have messed this one up quite well.
Old 15-07-2019, 10:20 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Can you please rewrite what the problem is? I reckon you wrote this whilst very tired.
What exactly is wrong with the tablet?
Yes I was tired and although I very rarely get annoyed on this occassion I certainly was ... so I appologise for my incoherent post.
However I suspect Lewis (above post) understands).
The problem is...
Usually I pick up the tablet and it connects automatically to the hot spot presented by my phone.
However ar the moment it does not do that and even when I give it a password and even changed the name of the phones hot spot the tablet says it cant connect because of a "authentication error"...going on the net one finds up to eight solutions...none of which worked and the only one I have not tried is the one siggested by Lewis...a factory reset which means I have to waste time replacing Asiair and Skysafari. And my first and second loading of skysafari took ages ...
Moreover the attitude seems to be "oh well" and a suggestion to take the thing to "a professional to check the software and hardware" ...which I find extrodinary, is just poor form..
My time is precious and I resent wasting it due to others lack of professionism ...which is the only way I see Samsungs failure here.
Take Lewis and his experiemce..not good enough..not for a expensive item...even for a cheap item...if it has flaws do not market it until it is fixed could seem a reasonable expectation rather than a cranky command from a tired old man.
One could take them to court to seek damages but no doubt become bogged down arguing the validity or not of their "terms" ..
So I will follow the teachings of many of the teligions (the only thing I turn to them for) and forgive and forget and not waste any more precious energy upon the perhaps unforgivable lack of professionalism.
Alex
Old 15-07-2019, 10:23 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
If it is the latest Android update, you aren't alone. My wife's Samsung S9 phone crashed, and had to be factory reset (which is VERY annoying as it has a company profile on it!), and both our kid's Samsung Galaxy phones had to be factory reset. Android seems to have messed this one up quite well.
Thank you for sharing your experiences...I guess you confirm what it is I must do...
Its not good enough..we should buy the company and close it down.
Alex
Old 15-07-2019, 10:42 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

The interesting thing with the latest Android update is that it removed - without warning - apps from the system (Samsung apps installed with the phone) - no warning at all. (and it isn't like the system was removing unused apps, as the apps removed were used DAILY).

This may sound insultingly asinine Alex, but manually enter your hotspot password, making sure of no caps lock, ensuring capitalisation if you used it etc. You can also make a new hotspot password on the phone and then enter it onto the tablet, just in case there was something corrupt or missing (my iPhone occasionally has hiccups like this). Also cycle Wifi on and off on BOTH devices, as well as cycling Mobile data on and off on the phone.
Old 15-07-2019, 11:07 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

ok thanks guys sorry it seems like a convoluted issue.
Old 15-07-2019, 11:45 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you very much Lewis for all your useful advice.

I certainly am not insulted, generally I dont find anything insulting even if delivered with the harshest of intention.
And usually the person yrying to deliver an insult is being conservative in the points he seeks to raise in ridicule.

I did create a new hot spot and anothet password in one of my various efforts following suggested steps to possible "cures."
And I cant resist an opportunity to blatently big note myself...I was the first kid in kindergarten ( or as I recall it was called "transition" ..mmm the year after kindergarten actually. ..but I was the fkrst in the class to be allowed to start on capital letters having excelled at lower case...one of the proudest moments in my life setting the stage for later life and indeed to cope with the demands of being exact when entering passwords.
What vatches me however..too often to be proud of..is inadvertently hitting cap lock ...why wont it work etc..but then I realise what has happened.
Thanks again.
Alex