Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 31-01-2016, 04:08 PM
JimsShed (Jim)

Heat effect on equipment

Should I be worried about keeping my equipment in my shed during hot weather. I've got silica gel in the accessory cases etc, but other than that I just put a sheet over everything.
Has anyone noticed deterioration of their gear due to heat?
Should I maybe keep the optics inside, but leave the mount out there?
Old 31-01-2016, 07:34 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

shouldn't be any issue Jim, unless you have poor quality plastic mouldings in something (eg handset for the mount maybe). Commercial quality electronic components should be Ok up to maybe 70C and the mechanical and glass optical bits much higher. Provided you don't run any of the gear for long periods at high daytime temperatures, there should be no problem.

My EQ8 with a CF Newtonian and an SX camera sits in an ROR all year round with no effect on performance. Dust is the main bugbear with optics that are exposed to the elements on every clear night and others seem to have mould problems in humid environments.
Old 31-01-2016, 08:29 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

No issues here either as I leave it all in the shed. My mount is outside in all weathers under a tarp which comes off after rain to dry out, as it does get a bit wet. Electrics for the mount are in the shed with scope etc. The only thing I do is have scopes horizontal with dew cap off so light can get to the optics.
Old 31-01-2016, 10:12 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

I know optics shouldn't be left in cars on hot days. Presumably a shed wouldn't get as hot as that? Have you measured the temperature inside the shed on a hot day?
Old 31-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Wavytone

Jim,

Heat is not be a problem for the metal and glass bits, however it is a problem for plastics and this includes the insulation and connectors used in wiring, which tend to go hard and brittle over several years.

However, if it gets hot it implies it also gets cold at night especially in winter and this could be more a problem because it implies the humidity at night will be high, which is not good - this encourages fungus growth in lenses (eyepieces, finders and refractor objectives as well as SCT and maksutov correctors, and camera lenses).
Old 31-01-2016, 10:42 PM
johnnyjetski (John)

Heat effect on equipment

Jim,
I too, have had the same concern. I have a temp sensor in my shed that can be monitored in my house and it has recorded up to 45C. I have my shed insulated and have been advised that, above 40C is not good for electronics.
At the moment its a daily event to open my shed up or place a pedestal fan on timer inside the shed.

Possibly im a little paranoid regarding heat but my scope is a valuable piece of equipment.

JohnS
Old 01-02-2016, 07:22 AM
Derek Klepp

John I have a number of scope in a similar environment and they are all still operating after several years .Be careful with the cover sheet make sure it is breathable as I had condensation form under mine.As for the heat I have solar gear that rolls out for hours at a time Heq6 mount and surface temps exceed 50C on the equipment all still works well.Watch out for Gecko crap though it gets everywhere.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:17 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Left my DSLR in a hot car for about 3 hours. It was a $300 mistake (cannot remember what needed replacing, it was a while ago).
Old 01-02-2016, 09:33 PM
johnnyjetski (John)

Thanks for alerting me to the condensation issue.

My scope, when housed in the shed, has its dust cover then all covered by a 365 Telegismo cover.....I might just let it breath a little more with all this tropical weather lately.
JohnS
Old 01-02-2016, 10:31 PM
Nico13 (Ken)
Galaxy Hunting

I saw this sort of thing happen to a good pair of binoculars that had been left in the car in the sun by accident.
The eyepiece elements started to separate, but they got pretty bloody hot.
Still I'd tend to keep them cooler if possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Delmanination-Flower small.jpg)
168.0 KB24 views
Old 01-02-2016, 11:37 PM
glend (Glen)

What kind of shed is it Jim? Put in a solar exhaust fan and low level wall vents, problem solved. A dehumidifier can solve most any condensation problem.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:16 PM
JimsShed (Jim)

My shed is a 6x6m Titan. Quite well ventilated and fully shaded by trees on the western side, so doesn't go much above ambient. To observe I just move the gear outside a few metres to a concrete pad.
I've decided that at least while the hot weather is on I'll keep the OTAs, eyepieces, camera etc in the house. I worry a bit about the glassware (fungis) and rubber bits (perishing). The mount will stay in the shed under a cover.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:00 PM
skysailor (Peter)

I received something in the mail today which is sort of related to this thread, a "TeleGizmos Solar Observing Hood" - it's reflective silver on the outside and has a soft grey nylon material on the inside, you close the velcro end around your scope and get underneath the hood to observe, keeps you (and your scope) out of the sun and it makes viewing much easier. Cost me a total of $77 - $40 for the hood and $37 for postage from Texas...
works a treat...
They also make a range of different covers for all sorts of scopes etc... worth a look.
cheers