Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-01-2016, 07:54 AM
glend (Glen)

Lee I laughed when I saw their instructions to you about the bolt:

"I heard back from Avalon this morning and it seems it shipped with a 55mm when I need a 45. They've suggested a very quick solution would be to break the plastic off one of the original altitude adjustment knobs as it is otherwise the correct size."

When you spend that sort of money I don't think it is too much to expect it to be shipped with the right bolts, or even a selection of them if they are latitude dependent.

Seems they are getting noticed more, I ran across a discussion on the Avalon M-Tre this morning on CNs. I can't find any detail of the M-Tre mount on the Avalon website but it looks great in the photos on CNs. A Flipless mount I believe.
Link on CN here:
http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/51...unt-the-m-tre/
Old 29-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Not making excuses for them, but most of the affluent-enough world (their target demographic) would live above 25 degrees latitude. Below 25 degrees is clearly an oversight ... or should that be undersight
Old 29-01-2016, 06:35 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Putting the bolt issue aside, it is clearly an awesome mount - judging by the clouds and humidity it attracted to our part of the world!
Old 29-01-2016, 08:26 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Putting the bolt issue aside, it is clearly an awesome mount - judging by the clouds and humidity it attracted to our part of the world!
Amen
Old 29-01-2016, 08:43 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Such is the mount that it has clouded over Melbourne for the last two weeks!
Old 30-01-2016, 04:12 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Having been both a flight engineer and a marine engineer, I would have
popped out to the shed and modified the bolt in a few minutes. It never
occurred to me that many people have never done this sort of thing.
Lee, I think it very likely that you have a friend or work colleague who
could shorten the bolt and configure it's end to it's pre-existing shape.
I think it unlikely that the long bolt would work in the mount's original configuration. I think it's range of travel is very limited, hence the need for three different positions.
raymo
Ah, if only I had that kind of background. I'm an engineer of the software variety and though I'm trying to expand on my meagre DIY skills, I'm definitely lacking in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Lee I laughed when I saw their instructions to you about the bolt:

"I heard back from Avalon this morning and it seems it shipped with a 55mm when I need a 45. They've suggested a very quick solution would be to break the plastic off one of the original altitude adjustment knobs as it is otherwise the correct size."

When you spend that sort of money I don't think it is too much to expect it to be shipped with the right bolts, or even a selection of them if they are latitude dependent.

Seems they are getting noticed more, I ran across a discussion on the Avalon M-Tre this morning on CNs. I can't find any detail of the M-Tre mount on the Avalon website but it looks great in the photos on CNs. A Flipless mount I believe.
Link on CN here:
http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/51...unt-the-m-tre/
They've had a bit more notice over in Europe I think. The tre is just the big brother of the zero and the uno; all interesting mounts. Not having to do a meridian flip would be nice for those of us using OAG, but the mount design limits the usage to short tubes.

You might get more of a laugh out of this: I actually did break that knob off. That bolt was also 55mm, the same as the original one that was too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Not making excuses for them, but most of the affluent-enough world (their target demographic) would live above 25 degrees latitude. Below 25 degrees is clearly an oversight ... or should that be undersight
lol

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Amen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Such is the mount that it has clouded over Melbourne for the last two weeks!
Sorry guys! On the bright side, I'd rather get all the terrible weather out of the way while I'm still trying to build the mount's new home and get my computer fixed.

As for whether the mount will work in Darwin, it's a definite no. The manual gives two different ranges, one saying it works from 10 degrees, the other 15. I can confirm that it's the latter that is correct. The gusset hits the wedge at about 15 degrees, so without modifying the wedge to be wider, there's no way you can go below ~15.