Old 03-08-2007, 11:56 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Topher, to IIS!

Great to have you onboard, don't stop asking questions!
Old 03-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Phoenix (Steve)
Happy Sensing!

From one newbie to another.... Welcome Topher!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Topher and welcome to the forum. It's a fantastic group and you'll have a great time here.

I see you are not to far from me either

Cheers
Old 03-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Dooghan (Dooghan)

I thought it's about time I said G'Day to you all. I've been a member of the forum for a month or so now. I've been interested in anything to do with space since I was a kid. Got my dad to buy me a store telescope which was ..........I think you know the answer to that. Anyway 20 odd years have past and my interest has been renewed by a podcast. Did a search on Google and came up with this excellent site. I did have some questions but they have been all answered in other threads. Still got the store telescope which good enough for the moment. Add to that a set of binoculars (8x21) which my wife got for free when she bought something. Real cheap and nasty but going to be replaced next week (in the mail as we speak) with a set of 12x60 from AOE. Got my red light, large planisphere from Bintel and a copy of Heavens Above. The best $18.50 I've spent on a book and I recommend it for any beginner. I try to get out there as much as I can and seen some amazing things. I like to get out with the telescope, binoculars and the book some nights and pick 2 or 3 constellations. I just site sit there for hour after hour looking at anything that those constellations has to offer. Then other nights I just like to get the planisphere out and learn the constellation. I've seen the ISS a number of times now, also HST. I was looking at Eta Carinae one night with the binoculars when a meteor cross my view. I followed it as it broke up into a half a dozen pieces. It just blow me away. I'm starting to ramble on now. I'll leave it there for now.

Dooghan

Last edited by Dooghan; 03-08-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Welcome to IIS Dooghan, your going to have a great time here. It's a great place to rekindle your interest in the stars.

I think your quite lucky to see a meteor break up it must have looked great. I've seen a few through the scopes FOV and their always a buzz.

Cheers
Old 04-08-2007, 05:43 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Welcome Dooghan, Welcome to IceInSpace!

Thanks for introducing yourself, there's getting to be a few more members from FNQ lately.

Sounds like you're making great use of your binoculars, don't forget to keep asking questions and I look forward to more of your contributions on IceInSpace.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:18 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooghan View Post
......I try to get out there as much as I can and seen some amazing things. I like to get out with the telescope, binoculars and the book some nights and pick 2 or 3 constellations. I just sit there for hour after hour looking at anything that those constellations has to offer. Then other nights I just like to get the planisphere out and learn the constellation. I've seen the ISS a number of times now, also HST. I was looking at Eta Carinae one night with the binoculars when a meteor cross my view. I followed it as it broke up into a half a dozen pieces. It just blow me away..........
Some people have all the fun!!

Welcome Dooghan - this is the place to be, along with being under clear skies at night!! How is M31 looking from Rockie (at 5am!!!)??

Last edited by erick; 04-08-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Dooghan (Dooghan)

Thanks for the welcome guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Welcome to IIS Dooghan, your going to have a great time here. It's a great place to rekindle your interest in the stars.
Tell me about it. Lots of great info here and I currently drooling over the great pics you guys take. I could really get into astrophotography one day but I'm happy with what I'm doing at the moment. I'm sure as time goes on I'll move up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
I think your quite lucky to see a meteor break up it must have looked great. I've seen a few through the scopes FOV and their always a buzz.
Just don't tell me it's once in a life time thing. I'll be really disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Welcome Dooghan, Welcome to IceInSpace!

Thanks for introducing yourself, there's getting to be a few more members from FNQ lately.

Sounds like you're making great use of your binoculars, don't forget to keep asking questions and I look forward to more of your contributions on IceInSpace.
Don't you know that FNQ is the best place to be. Did I mention that we have 3 weeks straight of cloudless skies and I was out for most of them Is that another cloudless night tonight I fine the binoculars give a lot better view of the DSO then the telescope. I mainly use the telescope for the planets now days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Welcome Dooghan - this is the place to be, along with being under clear skies at night!! How is M31 looking from Rockie (at 3am!!!)??
It just happens I have to get up for work around that time and was one of the first DSO I tried to find. As I live in South Rocky (city glow to the north) and it's just above a street light It's been a hard one to get a good view of. I'm real keen to make a early morning trip to the north side on one of my RDO's when I get the new binoculars for a better view of it.

Dooghan
Old 12-08-2007, 05:43 PM
shootin' star

Hi all,
Well, like alot of other people here, I developed a real interest in the sky as a kid of about 10 years old. I had a set of binoculars and eventually my parents bought me a basic tasco reflecter and I would spend many hours with it set up on our carport roof just looking at anything and everything! As a teenager I got sidetracked and packed away the scope and now, 15ish years later am keen to get back into it.
The night sky just blows me away, like I'm sure it does for most people here!
I'm trying to learn a bit more about telescopes so that I can get something a little better than the old tasco. Eventually I would like to try some photograhy too, but I see I have a lot to learn first.
I'd love to get together with other people here in Melbourne to learn as much as I can, as I don't really now anyone else into astronomy

Regards, Karen.

Last edited by shootin' star; 13-08-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Jupiter

Hi Karen, welcome aboard, why don't you come up to the Snake Valley star party in November, details are located on here somewhere, theres lots of other newbies on here like yourself so don't worry about it.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Karen and welcome to the forum

This is certainly the place to rekindle your interest and turn it into a passion, just keep asking questions and you'll be on track in no time at all.

Cheers
Old 13-08-2007, 08:18 AM
Dujon
SKE

Hello, Karen, welcome to the mad house known as IIS.

You are not the only one here who started with a little old Tasco although, at least in my case, I doubt that many of us risked viewing from the roof of our parents' carport.

Get stuck in, lass, there's lots and lots of information buried in the archives of this site on telescope purchases and the whys and wherefores of each.
Old 13-08-2007, 09:23 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Karen

Yes, Snake Valley is good venue with friendly folks. If the weather is kind to us, some of us will be there this coming Friday night. About 1hr 30 min drive from the junction of Ring Road and Western Highway. Contact Ballaratdragons (Ken) or me for directions.

Alternatively, go to the Mornington Peninsula Astronomical Society (MPAS - search the threads) - a bit closer and very well setup.

Eric
Old 13-08-2007, 08:38 PM
shootin' star

Well, thankyou to all for the very warm welcome
The Snake Valley star party in Nov sounds great, but unfortunately I already have a few other events that month I need to take time off work for (I work saturdays) so I don't think I can hassle my boss for any more time off for this too But I will try to check out MPAS sometime soon.

As far as observing from the carport roof goes....well, it was always nice and peaceful up there

Karen.

Last edited by shootin' star; 13-08-2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 13-08-2007, 09:27 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootin' star View Post
But I will try to check out MPAS sometime soon.

OK Karen, here you go:-

http://www.mpas.asn.au/
Old 16-08-2007, 10:30 PM
tiaragirl_1

Smile

Hi Everyone!

I am really interested in astrology, when i was younger my brother used to take me out and tell me about the stars and such.
At the moment for a subject at uni we ahve to do a "moon blog" so im here to find out everything i can about the moon!

All you facts and asvice would be much appreciated!!

Meg
Old 17-08-2007, 05:55 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Meg! to IceInSpace!

The first advice I can give, is remember to call it "Astronomy", not "Astrology". The two are very different

The moon is a fascinating topic, and there's so much to learn. Start by observing the phases throughout the lunar calendar. Use the moonphase on the left (click on it) to get the rise and set times so you know when to observe it.

What else do you need to do for your blog? Just keep asking questions and we'll be happy to answer.
Old 17-08-2007, 08:06 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Meg!!

Have a look here - lots of photos and information:-

http://www.lpod.org/

Eric
Old 17-08-2007, 05:25 PM
joshman (Josh)

aloha! great site ya'll got here, look forward to delving into some astrophotography!

cheers
Old 17-08-2007, 05:35 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Joshman! to IceInSpace!

Tell us about yourself!