Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 15-03-2020, 11:07 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Zambuto optical company

ZAMBUTO OPTICAL COMPANY

Now open to the public to re-coat any mirror ...!!

For the last seven years Zambuto Optical Company has been developing our coating product and process. We have been coating new and servicing existing Zambuto mirrors during this time. We're now ready to open our services to the community at large.

https://zambutomirrors.com/zambutoopticalc1.html

All Photos credit to the Zambuto Website

Col...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_2020-03-15 Zambuto Optical Company - Coating.png)
45.5 KB39 views
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_2020-03-15 Zambuto Optical Company - Coating(1).jpg)
87.1 KB46 views
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_2020-03-15 Zambuto Optical Company - Coating(2).jpg)
67.9 KB45 views

Last edited by FlashDrive; 15-03-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Old 15-03-2020, 01:29 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Near $1200 for an eight inch mirror.
I wonder just what different you would notice if say I changed out my GSO mirrors...would photos be much better?
Alex
Old 15-03-2020, 04:56 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Near $1200 for an eight inch mirror.
I wonder just what different you would notice if say I changed out my GSO mirrors...would photos be much better?
Alex
Just pointing out that $US 1,200 is to buy a new 8" mirror, not to get one coated, which is what Col's thread is about. Coating prices on < 12" mirrors are $US200, which is reasonable.

In answer to your question I have a 10" GSO scope with a very good GSO mirror (better than .90 strehl). I also have a 10" SDM with a Mark Suchting mirror. I can guarantee you that Mark's mirrors are as good as Zambuto's because I also have a 14" Zambuto for reference.

On nights of less than excellent seeing the differences between the 10" scopes are very subtle, but detectable. On nights of excellent seeing the differences are clearly evident to an experienced discriminating observer, but not monumental. To a less experienced and discriminating observer the differences would be barely detectable. But that is based on my 10" GSO mirror, which is a very good one and they aren't all this good.

It really comes down to how good your GSO mirror is. If it's a good one the differences will be subtle at best. A premium mirror, will invariably be smoother with less light scatter than a mass produced mirror. If it's not so great the differences will be enormous. You really need someone who knows how to properly assess your current mirror to do that first.

Cheers
John B
Old 15-03-2020, 05:17 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks John.
I was aware of the op..very reasonable prices for a r coat I thought.
Alex
Old 16-03-2020, 07:14 PM
ariefm71 (Arief)

That's the cost of recoating only... stripping off the existing coating is $75 extra for $275 total. Slightly cheaper than what Terry Ostahowski is charging but double than Spectrum Coatings fees

Arief

Last edited by ariefm71; 17-03-2020 at 09:41 AM.