Old 02-02-2020, 11:11 AM
BlackSheep (Karl)

Polar Alignment for Star Adventurer

I recently picked up the Skywatcher Star Adventurer and have been doing polar alignment with apps on my phone (compass and level) due to having trouble seeing octans. Its been ok, but when shooting above 200mm I can only do 20sec exposures before star trailing kicks in.

I've just learnt about the ipolar for the iOptron mount, kind of wishing that I had of gone down this road instead now. With that in mind and sticking with what Ive got, is the QHY Polemaster the only option for the Star Adventurer or are Skywatcher working on an equivalent to iPolar?
Old 17-02-2020, 07:43 AM
BlackSheep (Karl)

To answer my own question for anyone looking in the future, I ordered the Polemaster and Universal mount from Sidereal Trading and it works brilliantly. The universal mount with a little bolt and washer allows you to put it on the L bracket and align it with the built in polar scope. Paul was a legend and hooked me up with Express Shipping so I could use it on Friday night after ordering it later in the week. Cheers man!
Old 18-02-2020, 08:34 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Yep.Finding and even seeng Octans when there is any light to the South is a pain. I manage some nights but not all. Glad you found a solution.
Old 19-02-2020, 10:42 AM
BlackSheep (Karl)

For sure! The sites I go to are North of Canberra and CBR sits right under the SCP from that perspective. Finally saw octans for the first time after doing some long exposures in its general direction haha
Old 19-02-2020, 11:25 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

The polar scope of the Star Adventurer has a template in which the trapezium in which the pole star sigma Oct is.

When you make widefields, it suffices to center the +6.9 BQ Oct in the field as it is very close (10') to the Pole. This star, despite being fainter than +5.5 Sigma Oct, is visible in most polar scopes.
Old 19-02-2020, 01:18 PM
foc (Ross)

Hi,
I have just started using the Star adventurer myself (shortly before our Canberra smoke/fire season) and have been interested in your efforts in polar alignment.

I have found Uriarra Crossing picnic spots to be decent 'urban grade' imaging sites in Canberra for the Star adventurer as the bulk of the current Canberra light dome is a little to the west(sic), I mean East allowing better views of Octans and improved views of the Nth West relative to home.

Of course as the new suburbs nearby develop the advantages of this site will further diminish. But such shorter road trips encourages me to image more often away from the brighter lights of home and family responsibilities. If not for the fires/closures I would also have tried Namadgi for the Southern Summer highlights.

Last edited by foc; 19-02-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old 19-02-2020, 04:50 PM
BlackSheep (Karl)

Nice, good stuff. I'm north side so my close spot is off of Murrumbateman Road, or otherwise near Lake George. I did go out west of Crookwell over the weekend to get away from the cloud which was far Superior to the other 2 locations, but the 1.5 hour trip each way is a bit much. Once Namadgi opens again I hope to head down that way.