Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 16-08-2019, 10:44 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Question My wife's new toy... I'd like to use it as well :)

My missus has wanted to get "closer" to wildlife and has been a little frustrated with her camera setup. So, I purchased her a Minolta High Speed AF Apo Tele 600mm f/4 G telephoto for her to be able to get much closer than the 200mm she has.

She shoots with a Sony camera (an old a350, a-mount). The len I bought was basically in mint condition (photos attached). Only a scratch on the case itself, lens was in perfect condition, including exterior paint. the 1.4x teleconverter (giving her 800mm f/5.6) and all filters were even included. I got it for a great price... and the missus is happy, so you know... "happy wife, happy life".

I'd like to be able to get my QHY and/or ZWO onto it, but as Steve Mogg is out of business, I was wondering if anyone knew of a source on where to get an A-mount lens to T2 (T-thread). I'd prefer not to go to Precise Parts because let's face it, that's an expensive route for me just wanting to test the telephoto on the night sky.

Advice sought...
OIC!
P.S. For those who are interested, I bought it on eBay from Japan. Arrived in five days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1.jpg)
115.7 KB64 views
Click for full-size image (2.jpg)
146.1 KB59 views
Click for full-size image (3.jpg)
146.8 KB53 views
Click for full-size image (4.jpg)
105.3 KB59 views
Click for full-size image (5.jpg)
117.4 KB55 views
Click for full-size image (6.jpg)
87.5 KB65 views
Click for full-size image (7.jpg)
67.1 KB63 views
Click for full-size image (8.jpg)
65.2 KB54 views
Old 16-08-2019, 10:53 AM
bojan
amateur

I think she will make a big mistake if she let you try it....
Old 16-08-2019, 11:02 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Wow! a 6" F4 APO...nice

Good luck with getting the adapter.

Mike
Old 16-08-2019, 12:21 PM
JA

Nice pickup OIC.

As for the adapter, you've probably already searched and gathered that they're the wrong way around for your use. You need
Female Minolta A Bayonet to an M42x0.75 MALE thread to screw in to the QHY10's M42x0.75 FEMALE thread.

The flange focal distance for a Minolta A mount/ Sony A is supposed to be 44.5mm and the QHY10's sensor is set back 20mm from the front (although from exactly where isn't clear in any diagrams I could find). Take it as the front surface where the M42x0.75 FEMALE thread starts.

Using those "FACTS" (???) you could use an M42 focusing helicoid of appropriate length and some how attach a Minolta female bayonet to its front surface. You probably could use an M42 to M52 focusing helicoid to reduce chances of vignetting and providing space for the female bayonet mount, which you could obtain from a Minolta A mount photographic extension tube. A bit of skill and join the two and hey presto done for probably $80 or less, with the added advantage that since you've used a focusing helicoid instead of fixed extensions, then you can fine tune the distance.

It certainly would be an easy-ish way to get a look at your camera on the new lens, which brings me to the easiest way, but you need a machinist friend or skill: A cylindrical collar that neatly, snuggly and with minimal play slips over the outer body of the camera on one end and the circa 70mm cylindrical lens body at the other end. Boring/machining it on a lathe will provide enough concentricity for the purposes of a lens test.

I will post an couple of images to clarify later.

For the helicoid focuser shown in the first image below the link is: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brass-M5...wAAOSw1QpaBZGl
This is probably the correct adjustment range (25 to 55mm in length) to use (although longer is available) and it uses a brass helicoid rather than aluminium which has a tendency to sometimes stick.

SO it connects directly to your camera at one end (VERIFY: helicoid is actually M42 x 0.75PITCH) and at the larger (M52) end screw or somehow attach a Minolta Female A mount bayonet from a photographic extension tube of the type shown in the 2nd attached image. You could remove the bayonet flange and screw it to the face of the large (M52) end of the focusing helicoid or "jimmy" something up.

I hope it works out one way or another. Of course if you had a CaNikon then QHY already make said adapters.

Best
JA
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M42 to M52 Helicoid Focuser.jpg)
126.8 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (Minolta-Sony A Mount Extension Tube.jpg)
56.9 KB26 views

Last edited by JA; 16-08-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 16-08-2019, 02:10 PM
leon

Wow she is a lucky lady indeed, yea as said you keep you hands off it.

Leon
Old 16-08-2019, 03:30 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Gee ....that's a NICE Lens
Old 16-08-2019, 05:08 PM
gbeal

OIC,

Fortuitously (or not) I "might" have what you seek.

Sent you a PM.

Gary
Old 16-08-2019, 11:27 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Nice pickup OIC.

As for the adapter, you've probably already searched and gathered that they're the wrong way around for your use. You need
Female Minolta A Bayonet to an M42x0.75 MALE thread to screw in to the QHY10's M42x0.75 FEMALE thread.

Best
JA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
OIC,

Fortuitously (or not) I "might" have what you seek.

Sent you a PM.

Gary
Best part about IIS... everything (ok, maybe not the poli-discussions )... Great advice, knowledgable and helpful people.

Sent Gary a PM.

JA, thanks, I'm on it... I found an A-mount macro extension tube on eBay, messaged the vendor to get a thread size and pitch... maybe I'll get lucky. https://www.ebay.com/itm/123856710771
You are correct regarding the 20mm. I remember having a discussion with Mogg when I purchased an adapter for my Canon FD lenses.

Thanks again everyone and to be clear, the missus is nervous about me "taking over the lens" and has told me she may lock the case!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180126084529693.jpg)
42.8 KB21 views

Last edited by OICURMT; 17-08-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Old 17-08-2019, 04:57 AM
bojan
amateur

All you really need is a friend with machine shop.. and a courage... to modify the lens (because procedure is potentially irreversible).
Old 17-08-2019, 07:28 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I thought I scored big time when making a "deal" by relocating the clothes line in my backyard and using "left over" quickset concrete to erect a pier but getting your wife lenses for wildlife that you can use for astro later, man... that's next level! Respect.
Old 17-08-2019, 07:52 AM
gbeal

The saying goes, "picture is worth a thousand words".
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (A-T_Bayonet-Inside.jpg)
172.9 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (A-T_Bayonet.jpg)
194.3 KB21 views
Click for full-size image (A-T_Side_Rule.jpg)
152.3 KB24 views
Click for full-size image (A-T_T-Thread.jpg)
150.4 KB26 views
Old 17-08-2019, 08:29 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
All you really need is a friend with machine shop.. and a courage... to modify the lens (because procedure is potentially irreversible).
Well, I have access to a complete lathe setup, problem is that I haven't lathed since I was in High School and even then I was bad at it.

Guess I could ask at the University...

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
that's next level! Respect.
Missus has suggested she'll take me to the next level if I hoard her kit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
The saying goes, "picture is worth a thousand words".
Gary
Wow... that's the ticket. Going to try to replicate it... if not... "How much is shipping to the USA?"

Last edited by OICURMT; 17-08-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 17-08-2019, 12:36 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICURMT View Post

Missus has suggested she'll take me to the next level if I hoard her kit.