Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 22-11-2012, 08:39 AM
DarthWombat (Alex)
Per pecuniam ad astra!

Trinity Beach Totality Video

G'day all...

I finally got around to putting my eclipse footage on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/xMEyKgtW9TA

We were lucky enough to be able to see totality through a gap in the clouds. Although we were unable to see the diamond ring effects at the start and end of totality, several prominences can be seen and the clouds add a certain eerie atmosphere. Very LOTR.

The footage was taken using full HD video on a Nikon D5100 DSLR at prime focus through my ED120 F7.5 refractor on an HEQ5-Pro mount. There is no sound, but I wish I'd left it on to capture the "oohs" and "aahs" of the crowd.

Anyway, enjoy...

Alex.
Old 22-11-2012, 10:08 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Great video Alex. Left a comment.
Jen jen, your photos are fantastic!!!
Old 22-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
Great video Alex. Left a comment.
Jen jen, your photos are fantastic!!!
thanks nettie here is a few quick collages i was playing around with today this is fun

Click image for larger version

Name:	Total Eclipse & Palm Cove Trip Nov 2012.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	127120

Click image for larger version

Name:	Collages.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	127121

Old 22-11-2012, 10:38 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

What a brilliant idea, writing in the sand. You're so creative.
Old 23-11-2012, 12:30 PM
StephenM (Stephen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
thanks nettie here is a few quick collages i was playing around with today this is fun
That first collage is definately one for the wall Jen! Very cool.

Cheers,
Stephen
Old 25-11-2012, 09:23 PM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

2012 Eclipse your FEEDBACK NEEDED

Now that the eclipse is over and hopefully everyone is safely home, I would really appreciate your feedback on your 2012 eclipse experience.
As many of you know I was involved in providing information, advice and assistance to local authorities, Government Departments, the media etc on aspects of the eclipse that are of interest to astronomers, umbraphiles and the public as well as coordination of an eclipse education program for Queensland schools.
Can I please have any and all feedback on your eclipse experience from the perspective of how effectively local authorities, the Queensland government and emergency services prepared for this event and any impact this may have had on your eclipse experience. This will assist with a post event evaluation being conducted later this week and be especially useful for the authorities involved so that they can hopefully improve major event management in the future (unfortunately not for an eclipse!) and lessons learnt may be useful for eclipse preparations in other areas.
You can either respond on this thread or send a message direct to me (Click on my "AstroTourist" tag above and select "Send a private message" or "Send an email"). After I have responses, I will post a summary of comments. No one will be identified, and I will not pass on your response to anyone else.
To assist here are some suggested questions. Just copy and paste in your message and put your responses after each question or feel free to comment on just those things you think may be helpful. Please don’t hold back.

Your observing LOCATION: ….
Ease of ACCESS to observing location (road closures, congestion, info on suggested observing locations and access, transport difficulties etc.)? …….
Any PROBLEMS AT OBSERVING LOCATION (crowding, tides, streetlights, information on available facilities, information on or any unexpected dangers or annoyances)? …..
Access to WEATHER info? ....
Did you RELOCATE due weather and any problems with that? ….
Comment on EYE SAFETY MESSAGES (good or bad, visible or invisible, availability of eclipse glasses etc.)? …
ACCOMMODATION (ease of, or any problems in arranging, comment on cost, suitability, etc.)? …..
Did you attend any of the ORGANISED EVENTS centered on the eclipse (Music festival, Marathon, Port Douglas eclipse festival etc.) and any good or bad comments? ……
What could have been managed better? …..
Anything that went well that you want to comment on? ….
Overall, did you leave with a positive or negative IMPRESSION OF THE REGION? ….
ABOUT YOU:
Where did you come from (Aus state or country)? …..
On an eclipse tour or independent travel? ….
Previous eclipse experience (totals) first eclipse, 1 - 5, 5+, etc? …..

Thanks very much for your comments & regards,
Terry Cuttle
Old 26-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

Your observing LOCATION: ….Redcliffe Qld
Ease of ACCESS to observing location (road closures, congestion, info on suggested observing locations and access, transport difficulties etc.)? …….No problems
Any PROBLEMS AT OBSERVING LOCATION (crowding, tides, streetlights, information on available facilities, information on or any unexpected dangers or annoyances)? …..Nope
Did you RELOCATE due weather and any problems with that? …. Nope
Comment on EYE SAFETY MESSAGES (good or bad, visible or invisible, availability of eclipse glasses etc.)? …Very few people with eclipse glasses, one group using green cellophane.
ACCOMMODATION (ease of, or any problems in arranging, comment on cost, suitability, etc.)? …..Home
Did you attend any of the ORGANISED EVENTS centered on the eclipse (Music festival, Marathon, Port Douglas eclipse festival etc.) and any good or bad comments? ……
ABOUT YOU:
Old 26-11-2012, 06:49 PM
axle01 (Alan)

Your observing LOCATION: ....…..Cairns Esplanade

Ease of ACCESS to observing location ….......5 min drive from our motel

Any PROBLEMS AT OBSERVING LOCATION ..........None got there about 4am

Access to WEATHER info? .......Looked out the motel window at 3am to see clouds.

Did you RELOCATE due weather and any problems with that? …......Yes we were booked to go up to Kuranda on the train but i was worried it would be clouded over so we took our chances on the Esplanade and forfeited the $750 cost which was a big mistake, we should of headed west, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Comment on EYE SAFETY MESSAGES .........I had already made my own filters by cutting a rectangle hole out of a piece of cardboard and sticky taping the solar filter to the opening which was better than using the glasses that were being sold.

ACCOMMODATION .......I booked our accommodation over a year in advance.

Did you attend any of the ORGANISED EVENTS ...........No

What could have been managed better? ….......The Eclipse could have been later in the day after the cloud cleared.

Anything that went well that you want to comment on? …....Yeah the police moved a group of about 20 pommies that were drinking in one of the car parks, they were good about it and just gave them a warning for drinking in a public place.

Overall, did you leave with a positive or negative IMPRESSION OF THE REGION? …......Always like visiting Cairns as it is only a 4 hour drive from Townsville without roadworks.

ABOUT YOU:
Where did you come from …..Townsville Queensland Australia.

On an eclipse tour or independent travel? …...Independent

Previous eclipse experience ....... first eclipse that i can remember but i did see one when i was a very young kid.

Old 26-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Stayed at big 4 camping at Port Douglas, observed at 4 mile beach, no problem with anything all good. After party at Palm Cove also all good, no probs at all.
Old 26-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Rob_K

Your observing LOCATION: Clifton Beach
Ease of ACCESS to observing location (road closures, congestion, info on suggested observing locations and access, transport difficulties etc.)? Easy
Any PROBLEMS AT OBSERVING LOCATION (crowding, tides, streetlights, information on available facilities, information on or any unexpected dangers or annoyances)? No problems
Access to WEATHER info? No problems
Did you RELOCATE due to weather and any problems with that? No
Comment on EYE SAFETY MESSAGES (good or bad, visible or invisible, availability of eclipse glasses etc.)? No comment
ACCOMMODATION (ease of, or any problems in arranging, comment on cost, suitability, etc.)? Good
Did you attend any of the ORGANISED EVENTS centered on the eclipse (Music festival, Marathon, Port Douglas eclipse festival etc.) and any good or bad comments? No
What could have been managed better? Maybe extra public transport on eclipse day for those 'trapped' in Cairns?
Anything that went well that you want to comment on? All went well, couldn't ask for more
Overall, did you leave with a positive or negative IMPRESSION OF THE REGION? Positive

ABOUT YOU:
Where did you come from (Aus state or country)? Victoria
On an eclipse tour or independent travel? Independent travel
Previous eclipse experience (totals) first eclipse, 1 - 5, 5+, etc? 1-5

Cheers -
Old 26-11-2012, 07:52 PM
ourkind (Carlos)
There is no substitute

Your observing LOCATION: …. Barrier reef In Cairns
Ease of ACCESS to observing location (road closures, congestion, info on suggested observing locations and access, transport difficulties etc.)? ……. Flew into Cairns ie Sydney to Cairns and taxi to hotel.
Any PROBLEMS AT OBSERVING LOCATION (crowding, tides, streetlights, information on available facilities, information on or any unexpected dangers or annoyances)? ….. No
Access to WEATHER info? .... Warm and Partly cloudy
Did you RELOCATE due weather and any problems with that? …. No
Comment on EYE SAFETY MESSAGES (good or bad, visible or invisible, availability of eclipse glasses etc.)? … good used eclipse glasses
ACCOMMODATION (ease of, or any problems in arranging, comment on cost, suitability, etc.)? ….. To easy booked it 12 months ago.
Did you attend any of the ORGANISED EVENTS centered on the eclipse (Music festival, Marathon, Port Douglas eclipse festival etc.) and any good or bad comments? …… no
What could have been managed better? ….. Cloud activity
Anything that went well that you want to comment on? …. Hotel allowed guests to access rooftop for eclipse viewing out of normal access hours
Overall, did you leave with a positive or negative IMPRESSION OF THE REGION? …. Mostly positive but unfortunate number of drunks around town loitering and fighting with others.
ABOUT YOU:
Where did you come from (Aus state or country)? …..Sydney
On an eclipse tour or independent travel? ….independant
Previous eclipse experience (totals) first eclipse, 1 - 5, 5+, etc? …..first
Old 27-11-2012, 03:16 AM
johnsonlau

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
No problems, it was my first allnighter since Cyclone Larry !!!
I would also like to give you the greatest thank you. I traveled all the way from Hong Kong to Cairns. Based on your webcams (with numerical and BoM forecasts), I made the final decision to move to Mareeba.

This video is taken in Mareeba: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1PpB...&feature=g-upl . You can not only see the Venus, but also a hot air balloon, which you won't see elsewhere!
Old 27-11-2012, 01:56 PM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

ECLIPSE FEEDBACK - more responses please

Thanks very much to those who have responded to my request of a couple of days ago for ECLIPSE FEEDBACK . However I have responses from only a small percentage of those who went. There is a review meeting of the Eclipse Task Force on this Thursday at which I have the opportunity to put views of the astronomy community. So can I have more responses please.

If your time is limited perhaps you could just respond with any comment on anything that did not go well and could be improved.

Thanks & regards,
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTourist View Post
Now that the eclipse is over and hopefully everyone is safely home, I would really appreciate your feedback on your 2012 eclipse experience.
As many of you know I was involved in providing information, advice and assistance to local authorities, Government Departments, the media etc on aspects of the eclipse that are of interest to astronomers, umbraphiles and the public as well as coordination of an eclipse education program for Queensland schools.
Can I please have any and all feedback on your eclipse experience from the perspective of how effectively local authorities, the Queensland government and emergency services prepared for this event and any impact this may have had on your eclipse experience. This will assist with a post event evaluation being conducted later this week and be especially useful for the authorities involved so that they can hopefully improve major event management in the future (unfortunately not for an eclipse!) and lessons learnt may be useful for eclipse preparations in other areas.
You can either respond on this thread or send a message direct to me (Click on my "AstroTourist" tag above and select "Send a private message" or "Send an email"). After I have responses, I will post a summary of comments. No one will be identified, and I will not pass on your response to anyone else.
To assist here are some suggested questions. Just copy and paste in your message and put your responses after each question or feel free to comment on just those things you think may be helpful. Please don’t hold back.

Your observing LOCATION: ….
Ease of ACCESS to observing location (road closures, congestion, info on suggested observing locations and access, transport difficulties etc.)? …….
Any PROBLEMS AT OBSERVING LOCATION (crowding, tides, streetlights, information on available facilities, information on or any unexpected dangers or annoyances)? …..
Did you RELOCATE due weather and any problems with that? ….
Comment on EYE SAFETY MESSAGES (good or bad, visible or invisible, availability of eclipse glasses etc.)? …
ACCOMMODATION (ease of, or any problems in arranging, comment on cost, suitability, etc.)? …..
ABOUT YOU:

Terry Cuttle
Old 27-11-2012, 02:12 PM
h0ughy (David)

Terry,

The weather reports were sketchy and not what an eclipse chaser would be looking for. I relied on actual visible cloud satellite data not supplied by the bureau to make my final decision. We went inland to 12km west of Mareeba on a property. The totality reduced from 2m2sec I had planned for at Glengarry caravan park at Port Douglas to 1min31.7 seconds at my new location.

Night driving highlighted the lack of reflective delineation on the inland roads but over all their condition was pretty good. As for the locals being helpful – generally yes they were.

It was the first eclipse for me and I was with a group of people 10-15 at the viewing location. Age was from 7 – 80plus. Skies cleared with about 1/8 cloud blocking the horizons north and east and the presence of high level cloud.

Biggest gripe was the price gouging for food everywhere. Fuel was to be expected and considering it was the shoulder of the off season they charged like wounded buffalo for accommodation. And this was booked over 2.5 years ago!!

Next gripe was the mobile coverage up there – extremely limited after you move away from the coast, at least we were fully covered at Mareeba.

The proposed road blockages were a complete turnoff for staying at some of the proposed vantage points on the coast.

Travelled from Newcastle NSW by air then hire car from cairns airport.
Old 27-11-2012, 02:19 PM
shahgazer (Shah)
I Need Clear Sky!

Hi Terry,

Here's my feedback

Your observing LOCATION: Mareeba
Ease of ACCESS to observing location (road closures, congestion, info on suggested observing locations and access, transport difficulties etc.)? No bad congestion from Cairns, except for heavy traffic at about 5 PM on the 13th of Nov.
Any PROBLEMS AT OBSERVING LOCATION (crowding, tides, streetlights, information on available facilities, information on or any unexpected dangers or annoyances)? Observed from Kerribee Park, Mareeba. Big place, with crowd of about 50-70 people spread out all over the place.
Access to WEATHER info? TV News and Weather.com. Good enough for me to make last minute decision
Did you RELOCATE due weather and any problems with that? Yes. Original plan was at Port Douglas. Then decided to go either Ellis Beach or Palm Cove. However after hearing tv weather news at about 3 PM on the 13th Nov, we decided to go inland to Mareeba
Comment on EYE SAFETY MESSAGES (good or bad, visible or invisible, availability of eclipse glasses etc.)? We brought along our own Eclipse glasses. Did not see anyone handling additional glasses at the observing site
ACCOMMODATION (ease of, or any problems in arranging, comment on cost, suitability, etc.)? Last minute change to Mareeba. Upon arriving there, no more hotels are available. So we have to go down to Atherthon , where there's only 1 room left!
Did you attend any of the ORGANISED EVENTS centered on the eclipse (Music festival, Marathon, Port Douglas eclipse festival etc.) and any good or bad comments? No
What could have been managed better? Local authorities should provide more information for tourist regarding location, traffics, transportation on site. I have to depend mostly on internet and self survey, the day or two before the eclipse
Overall, did you leave with a positive or negative IMPRESSION OF THE REGION? A nice place to hang around and visit. However I can't find any clear indication like parking space for publics, road closure signage. So for people visiting like me, it's a bit confusing and have to depends on the internet and website
ABOUT YOU:
Where did you come from (Aus state or country)? Malaysia.
On an eclipse tour or independent travel? Independent traveler (with wife)
Previous eclipse experience (totals) first eclipse, 1 - 5, 5+, etc? 2 (2006 in Turkey, 2009 in China)
Old 27-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Judith

Hi Terry
Thanks for collecting this feedback - hope it helps for your next big event.

My observing location: Mulligan Hwy 10 km west of Mt Carbine
Ease of ACCESS to observing location (road closures, congestion, info on suggested observing locations and access, transport difficulties etc.)? Access was easy, no congestion or transport difficulties. Was a little put off by publicity beforehand about road closures and didn't understand why Cairns wasn't being more welcoming. Would have expected road closures that supported rather than denied access to observing sights. But did not affect me on the day.
Any PROBLEMS AT OBSERVING LOCATION (crowding, tides, streetlights, information on available facilities, information on or any unexpected dangers or annoyances)? ….. No problems
Access to WEATHER info? ....Relied on own sources
Did you RELOCATE due weather and any problems with that? …. Had previously decided that west of Mt Carbine would be best option and stuck with that
Comment on EYE SAFETY MESSAGES (good or bad, visible or invisible, availability of eclipse glasses etc.)? …Saw none tho was told that eclipse glasses were being sold by camp ground
ACCOMMODATION (ease of, or any problems in arranging, comment on cost, suitability, etc.)? …..Great camp ground at Mt Carbine
Did you attend any of the ORGANISED EVENTS centered on the eclipse (Music festival, Marathon, Port Douglas eclipse festival etc.) and any good or bad comments? ……Did not attend
Overall, did you leave with a positive or negative IMPRESSION OF THE REGION? ….Mostly positive
ABOUT YOU:
Where did you come from (Aus state or country)? …..drove from northern NSW... oh man - the roadworks!!!
On an eclipse tour or independent travel? ….independent
Previous eclipse experience (totals): first eclipse
Old 28-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Rob_K

Hi Terry - just a few things I thought of beyond my earlier reply.

The merchandising for the eclipse seemed fairly poor and I don't think the retailers realised what they were missing out on. The one eclipse postcard was fairly ubiquitous but there was little else. Tens of thousands of eclipse nutters from all round the world gathered in a tiny strip of FNQ, and little to take home as a souvenir. T-shirts were rare but I did pick up a fairly bland one at Palm Cove. I asked quite a few retailers at Port Douglas about eclipse T-shirts but they all looked at me blankly! We had 6 overseas people in our little group and all would have bought T-shirts if anything decent was on offer - as it stands we're going to print our own. I saw a weird eclipse 'sculpture' at one shop in PD but you had to register to get one and there was no price. A man was selling his self-produced eclipse videos at a community market at Mossman on the Saturday after but I didn't see them for sale anywhere else.

I don't mean this as a criticism, just a big opportunity lost. You can bet the 2017 eclipse in the US will be massively merchandised.

As far as price-gouging goes, I didn't see any evidence of it myself accommodation or food-wise. Gouging can occur but usually complaints are by people who don't understand what it takes to run tourism businesses and the reasons why there are different rates. I spoke to several business people in Cairns and some said that this was the busiest time they had EVER experienced in the region. Not really 'off-season'! These are prime international visitor destinations so you expect to pay. And I expected things to be a bit more expensive there in any case, it's a long way from the big cities. We did the Red Centre after Cairns - definitely off-season there but that was so much more expensive again (except in Alice Springs). However there was no gouging going on that I could see.

Cheers -
Old 28-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Your observing LOCATION: …. Redcliffe Jetty, Queensland 83% partial eclipse
Ease of ACCESS to observing location (road closures, congestion, info on suggested observing locations and access, transport difficulties etc.)? ……. No problems, used own transport
Any PROBLEMS AT OBSERVING LOCATION (crowding, tides, streetlights, information on available facilities, information on or any unexpected dangers or annoyances)? ….. The main show was in FNQ, so there were some people around but no large crowds
Access to WEATHER info? .... TV, news, radio and the net. Lots of information available but not all of it accurate.
Did you RELOCATE due weather and any problems with that? …. No need. Perfect conditions on the morning of the eclipse.
Comment on EYE SAFETY MESSAGES (good or bad, visible or invisible, availability of eclipse glasses etc.)? … One couple were using a 2nd hand $2 welders mask. It was unlikely to be rated for solar viewing. I met the same group that Davros mentioned using the packet of green celeophane.
Anything that went well that you want to comment on? …. Not applicable to me. I live fairly close to Redcliffe.
Overall, did you leave with a positive or negative IMPRESSION OF THE REGION? …. Recent upgades to the Redcliffe CBD have made it a nice place to spend time in.
ABOUT YOU:
Where did you come from (Aus state or country)? ….. Brisbane
On an eclipse tour or independent travel? …. Independent
Previous eclipse experience (totals) first eclipse, 1 - 5, 5+, etc? ….. Nil

Terry Cuttle
Old 29-11-2012, 05:37 AM
Captain Charlie (Gareth)

Eclipse feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_K View Post
... Gouging can occur but usually complaints are by people who don't understand what it takes to run tourism businesses and the reasons why there are different rates. ... These are prime international visitor destinations so you expect to pay. And I expected things to be a bit more expensive there in any case, it's a long way from the big cities.
That's very true Rob and thanks for balancing the discussion. Many businesses in Cairns are only open for 6-9 months of the year and close during the wet season, so customers overall pay for the overheads that are still incurred while the businesses are closed. Plus the tropical climate means air-conditioning foodstuffs etc is a permanent feature (mould is not attractive), so up goes the electricity bill compared with the southern states. And when the wet season blocks the Bruce Highway each year, cargo-carrying 747's fly in to replenish the supermarkets, and guess who pays for that!

I actually live in Palm Cove and the price for a decent meal here is twice what I'd pay in ritzy Toorak (Melbourne). And for regular groceries, $100 at the Palm Cove convenience store gets the same items at nearby Clifton Beach Coles for only $60, and even cheaper at nearby Smithfield Shopping Centre because there's competition between Coles and Woolworths.

It's a good point you make about the opportunity lost from the eclipse. There's very little medium-term thinking up here about investing in visitors so that they come back again, or perhaps even decide to live here. It seems business people just want the cash now and worry about when the next batch of Chinese middle class will arrive. You can see it in the way Cairns Airport has marketed itself since it was privatised two years ago.

That said, I hope everyone enjoyed their time here in Far North Queensland, even though the build-up to the wet season isn't always our most splendid weather. It's a great place to live as a lifestyle choice and just happens to also be a tourist destination. Thank you for travelling so far to be here.

Last edited by Captain Charlie; 29-11-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 29-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Rob_K

LOL, I did notice one thing in regard to a recent thread on IIS about daylight saving in Queensland. While the State is in favour of DST overall, the Far North is against it on numbers. I didn't give it much thought at the time, assuming that compelling reasons of some sort existed in FNQ.

Having been there I can't for the life of me understand the reasoning. Who wants sunlight streaming through the bedroom window at 5:30 in the morning, and who wants to be turning car headlights on at 6pm? We did a fair bit of touring and unless you made an early start you simply ran out of daylight hours.

DST would seem to ideally suit FNQ with their shorter summer daylight hours, in fact far better than in the far south where daylight persists till 9:30 at night in midsummer! Or am I missing something???

Cheers -