Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 14-08-2020, 10:45 AM
Paul Haese

Update

It's been well over six months since manufacturing and installing the AllSky camera and I found out that there were several problems which needed fixing.

The first up was that the dome on the camera would dew up easily at Clayton. The humidity there is always quite high and dew is an ever present problem. To get around this a friend bought a couple of dew heaters that are suitable for ZWO cameras and all sky camera domes. I bought some new boxes to house the systems and did the soldering, installation of the dew heaters, glands and cut the holes to both boxes. The soldering required the use of quite thin cable to connect to the dew heater and it had to pass through the holes underneath without causing a short. I used RCA cable for this purpose and it has been successful. A couple of photos demonstrate how I treated the cable with shrink wrap and then the soldering. The heater was glued onto the box with epoxy and then the dome was later glued on top of the box (not shown in the pics).

Next I was concerned about having the power adapter out in the open air so I bought a PoE hub and PoE splitter. This means that the ethernet cable runs straight into the box and carries the power needed for the Pi and camera. The dew heater is powered by another cable which connects to the IP switch so I can turn off the heater during the day. The PoE splitter had a micro USB on it and I needed to buy an adapter that would go from that to a USB C because the Pi4 has that connection now. I did trial using a PoE HAT which fit onto the Pi4 but it meant I did not have the cooling module on the Pi and with the temps in summer it means the computer would need to be off during the day. So the splitter worked well.

I have attached images taken last night with the Allsky and with 98% humidity and not dew. Quite happy with the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (soldering.jpg)
50.1 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (soldering back side.jpg)
39.8 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (POE.jpg)
63.5 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (setup.jpg)
78.4 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (image-20200813202218.jpg)
77.4 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (image-20200813225816.jpg)
73.7 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (image-20200814044355.jpg)
87.6 KB27 views