Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy and Amateur Science
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-08-2014, 09:00 PM
cmr (Chris)

VCE or CERTIV in Astronomy?

Hello, I have a child about to enter yr 10 who is science crazy and I would love to know if there are any VCE or CERTII or IV courses in astronomy that they might be abel to look into to do towards their VCE (high school) studies? - long shot I know and I have of courses used google to search for something but I thought the wisdom of iceinspace may help
Old 28-08-2014, 03:32 PM
gary

Hi Chris,

An introduction to astronomy is usually included in the curriculum of most year 11 and 12 physics courses.

I know that is certainly true in NSW today.

One of the most useful introductions to astronomy is the study of the
discovery of the laws of motion and the series of observations that
lead to the realization that the Sun is at the center of the Solar System.

That narrative of an understanding of the motion of the heavens, starting
with Plato and Ptolemy then onto Copernicus and Tycho Brahe, then onto
Kepler and Galieo and culminating in Newton's inverse square law not
only provides a wonderful insight into the workings of nature but also
into the workings of the modern scientific process, plus it is a fascinating
story.

That narrative certainly use to be what was taught in NSW for year 11 & 12
students undertaking physics.

So I would recommend investigating suitable texts that cover that
part of the physics curriculum.

The good news is that it then dovetails with what will be taught next year.

Back in the 70's when I studied high school physics, these were the first two
texts :-
* Concepts of Motion, Text and Handbook Volume 1
* Motion in the Heavens, Text and Handbook Volume 2

One of the experiments even included building your own telescope, which is described in the second text starting on page 151.

You might find newer texts that provide essentially the same narrative,
but history being what it is, the story hasn't changed.

Last edited by gary; 28-08-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 15-09-2014, 11:08 AM
adi (Avi)

is there anything in melbourne?
Old 19-09-2014, 11:36 PM
CarlJoseph (Carl)

Hey Chris,

VCE subjects in physics definitely cover some astronomy stuff and give a good grounding in science thinking. At a decent school they'll be able to select astronomy or astrophysics as one of their optional topics to study during the course. If your child is into astronomy and science, then this would be a great start. I would recommend also picking up one of the math subjects too.

This page, and this PDF will give you a good idea of the various topics.

If they're academically minded then continuing on through a uni degree in science/physics would be great. Swinburne University has some fantastic astronomy resources and lecturers (I'm a little biased as I currently study there myself!)

As for certificate level courses, I'm not sure of any which explicitly cover astronomy. There are some graduate and post graduate courses although your child will have to have completed their VCE before attempting them.

To keep them interested throughout VCE, you could consider joining your local astronomical society. I'm a member of MPAS on the Mornington Peninsula so if you want more info about that, feel free to ask.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 20-09-2014, 03:41 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

Hi Chris

Also have a look at the draft study design at the bottom of the page Carl provided as a link. This is pretty much what VCE Physics will be like in Victoria from 2016. Given that it is based upon the National Curriculum it will be very similar to what other States offer upon its implementation.

If not offered as detailed studies at their school, there is nothing stopping your son/daughter studying the Astronomy and Astrophysics sections of the Yr 11 Physics course themselves, and then asking you or their physics teacher for help with any of the bits that they don't understand.

Paul
Old 20-09-2014, 03:47 PM
CarlJoseph (Carl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfitzgerald View Post
If not offered as detailed studies at their school, there is nothing stopping your son/daughter studying the Astronomy and Astrophysics sections of the Yr 11 Physics course themselves, and then asking you or their physics teacher for help with any of the bits that they don't understand.
This is actually not such a bad option I think. I did my VCE physics through correspondence via Distance Education Victoria as it wasn't being offered at my school.

If physics is being offered as a subject but not Astronomy as an option, then they should still be able to attend normal physics classes but take on the astronomy components themselves with assistance from DEV or teachers at their school.

Lots of options and possibilities so don't let the school get in the way of studying the subjects you want!
Old 20-09-2014, 06:36 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

Exactly right Chris - I actually teach VCE Physics (including Astronomy when my students choose to do so!), so when the time comes I'd be happy to share what resources I have.

Paul