ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-06-2018, 01:37 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

NGC3293 - Woes at the dam (again)

For some odd reason I decided to drive out to Wyaralong dam with the moon at almost 70% illumination. Conditions weren't great, there was a LOT of moisture in the air and dew consumed everything that didn't have a dew heater. My goal was to get some LRGB of M16 to add to my Ha frame but I think my filterwheel stopped responding half way through and only captured red and didnt switch to green or blue. The image I get when I stack the RGB images is almost monochrome and increasing the saturation just makes the whole image red with no star colour at 180sec exposures (I found that this exposure duration was best for star colour for my set up).

When M16 was reaching the meridian where my mount doesn't like to track to well, I switched over to the Pendent Cluster for a couple hours to wait until M16 was safely over the meridian. This was the only salvageable image from last night even though I was there from 5pm to 5am . Bloated stars due to moist conditions couldn't be helped either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (pendent reduced.jpg)
216.3 KB172 views
Old 24-06-2018, 01:44 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

When the problems present I remind myself of that bumper sticker to the effect that a bad day fishing beats a great day at work.

Its a nice image by the way and great to see you getting out there.

I do think you have to see it as a numbers game as there seems to be various things that prevent a perfect capture each time every time.
alex