Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 01-04-2017, 11:33 AM
iborg (Philip)

Mirror recoating information - Saintech

Hi All

I hope posting this is OK, apologies if not.

After looking at a scope in the classifieds I contacted Saintech to get an idea of pricing for recoating a mirror.

Since there have been a number of queries over the years, for those interested, here is a PDF of their current pricing.

I have no connection with the company.

Philip
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Saintech Mirror Re-coating Price Schedule March 2016.pdf (50.0 KB, 528 views)
Old 01-04-2017, 12:32 PM
sn1987a (Barry)

I had this 20" mirror recoated by Saintec. I couldn't be happier with their service and the results. We are very lucky to have this service available here in Australia and I highly recommend them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Twenty relaxed.jpg)
196.6 KB82 views
Old 01-04-2017, 12:38 PM
rrussell1962

Another happy customer here. Drove down and dropped off my mirror at around 10 a.m, drove off that afternoon with my recoated mirror.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:17 PM
sopticals (Stephen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iborg View Post
Hi All

I hope posting this is OK, apologies if not.

After looking at a scope in the classifieds I contacted Saintech to get an idea of pricing for recoating a mirror.

Since there have been a number of queries over the years, for those interested, here is a PDF of their current pricing.

I have no connection with the company.

Philip
Seems quite expensive. Just about buy a new coated mirror for the same price. I was able to buy a new 14"f5.1 Hubble optics mirror for US$366 a few years ago. If I was to recoat it would cost AU$460.

Stephen.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:10 PM
tonybarry (Tony)

The Evans 30" telescope main mirror (from Linden Observatory) was recoated by Wayne about a year ago. Very good job.

And grateful thanks to Peter Read of SDM Telescopes, who was kind enough to ferry the mirror to Wayne along with another of his growing brood of Big Glass Mirrors.

Regards,
Tony Barry
WSAAG, Penrith.
Old 25-10-2017, 01:20 PM
gunsworth (Geoff)

Palmway Optical

Hi All,

My Lightbridge 16” mirror started to deteriorate from the day it was unwrapped. After 7 years it had pinholes everywhere.
Wayne Sainty recoated it 3 years ago. Still no blemishes! Wayne said that this was because he applied protective titanium and silicon overcoats after coating the mirror.

It was a pleasure to deal with Wayne. He now has a new company – Palmway Optical – in Tuncurry NSW. http://palmwayoptical.com/

Hope this helps some people
Cheers, Geoff
Old 25-10-2017, 01:43 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsworth View Post
Hi All,

Wayne now has a new company – Palmway Optical – in Tuncurry NSW. http://palmwayoptical.com/

Hope this helps some people
Cheers, Geoff
Thanks for the update, I hope to get mine done pre-Xmas....
Old 24-06-2018, 12:20 AM
ColHut (Colin)

My 10" f5 GSO mirror is now 10 years old and is covered in tiny white spots & pinholes. No where near as bright and reflective as when new, even after washing. Probably at a level where it is noticeable at the eyepiece.

The trouble is it seems that it is cheaper to buy another mirror and have it shipped over than shipping it both ways for re-coating. If I knew I had an outstanding mirror (which I doubt), then it might be worth it. A recoat however may be more durable and better than the old one was when knew.

Not sure what is the best way to go.
Old 24-06-2018, 01:15 AM
tempestwizz (Brian)

Thumbs up in my experiences with Wayne. He coated my new 18” F3.5 made by Mark Suchting, and also redcoat of a degraded 4” secondary. Service and results cannot be faulted. Great to see the capability supported in this country.
Old 24-06-2018, 10:43 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopticals View Post
Seems quite expensive. Just about buy a new coated mirror for the same price. I was able to buy a new 14"f5.1 Hubble optics mirror for US$366 a few years ago. If I was to recoat it would cost AU$460.

Stephen.
Damm...why did I waste my dough spending $6.5k for zerodur, when I could have had Hubble Optics? Hang on...Hubble? Do they have the same figure as the NASA version

P.S. We should all support Saintech...as planet Oz probably won’t event be able to make a pot of Jam if our manufacturing keeps heading in the same direction.
Old 24-06-2018, 11:06 AM
spiezzy

totally agree Peter couldn't have said it better my self
Old 25-06-2018, 01:13 AM
ColHut (Colin)

Thanks all. I have contacted Palmwayoptical and will see what they have to say.

regards
Old 28-06-2018, 11:29 PM
ColHut (Colin)

I have revieved a competitive quote from Wayne and will organise to send the mirror over for recoating after the Mars and Saturn oppositions. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 29-06-2018, 08:10 AM
bojan
amateur

Support for local industry is by all means OK... but do they support us?
Over the years I did exactly this (I am (still) electronics engineer, and my first instict ALWAYS was to try locals for PCB manufacturing and assembly... but very often I did not get the quaity and prices easily obtainable from companies overseas (Taiwan, China...).

As for recoating mirrors, I have Coulter Optical 10", I bought it in mid '80-ies last century... and after 35+ years it is still quite OK, apart from couple of scratches which do not (visibly/significantly) affect the image quality.

Theese days I can probably buy the better mirror of the same size from GSO for cheaper price than recoat the existing one...

However, if the price for recoating is halved from what it is now, I woiuld't hesitate to go for it.