ICEINSPACE
Most Read Articles
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON Waxing Gibbous
92%
The Sun Now
Time Zones
Sydney
4:26 pm
Perth
2:26 pm
Auckland
6:26 pm
New York*
2:26 am
Paris*
8:26 am
GMT
6:26 am




  #1  
Old 16-08-2017, 04:59 AM
OneCosmos's Avatar
OneCosmos (Chris)
Registered User

OneCosmos is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 316
Skysafari Pro 5

I did see this section until I had posted in the regular software forum: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=160237

Yes Skysafari pro is great but is 5 pro $62 better than 4 Pro?

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16-08-2017, 08:37 AM
ChrisV's Avatar
ChrisV (Chris)
Registered User

ChrisV is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sydney
Posts: 590
Hmm. Dunno. I went from 4 plus straight to 5 pro when there was a deal on (for my mobile then later on an ipad). So never had 4 pro. Whatever - 5 pro is great. But stuff like the galaxy zoon is clunky and often crashes.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16-08-2017, 06:15 PM
astro744
Registered User

astro744 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 714
It's been on sale at around 50% off twice the past year. I believe version 6 is pending. I think I paid $30.99 a few months ago and I had V4 pro before. V5 pro is Ok but nothing spectacular over V4 pro that is worth the $31 let alone the $63! I still prefer printed charts anyway as any electronic device is just too bright and too small for me. I would though love to see SkyTools for iOS but only on a larger screen as I find this program more useful.

Last edited by astro744; 17-08-2017 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Corrected Typo
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16-08-2017, 09:38 PM
JimsShed's Avatar
JimsShed (Jim)
Registered User

JimsShed is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bellbowrie
Posts: 133
I went from 4pro to 5pro the other week when the deal was on. The audio stuff on major objects is nice. A backward step is you cannot tap on Tonight's Best and have the list pop straight up, instead you have to reselect from a pop up menu every time. I use Tonights Best a lot and can see myself firing up 4Pro again to return to how I like it. Not a compelling upgrade.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17-08-2017, 08:14 AM
OneCosmos's Avatar
OneCosmos (Chris)
Registered User

OneCosmos is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro744 View Post
It's been on sale at around 50% off twice the past year. I believe version 6 is pending. I think I paid $30.99 a few months ago and I had V4 pro before. V5 pro is Ok but nothing spectacular over V4 pro that is worth the $31 let alone the $63! I still prefer printed charts anyway as any electronic device is just too bright and too small for me. I would though love to see SkyTools for iOS but only on a larger screen as I find this program more useful.
I tried searching for version 6 to see if it was found the corner but nothing came up.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17-08-2017, 08:15 AM
OneCosmos's Avatar
OneCosmos (Chris)
Registered User

OneCosmos is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsShed View Post
I went from 4pro to 5pro the other week when the deal was on. The audio stuff on major objects is nice. A backward step is you cannot tap on Tonight's Best and have the list pop straight up, instead you have to reselect from a pop up menu every time. I use Tonights Best a lot and can see myself firing up 4Pro again to return to how I like it. Not a compelling upgrade.
I was using 5 pro on my phone initially (iPhone 6+) but now I have it on an old iPad and it is miles better.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15-10-2017, 07:32 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

dpastern is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,748
I'm using SkySafari 5 plus on both my mac and iPad. It's a nice tool, although it seems to be missing some interesting objects.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-01-2018, 04:12 PM
bigjoe (Joe)
Registered User

bigjoe is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: sydney
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
I'm using SkySafari 5 plus on both my mac and iPad. It's a nice tool, although it seems to be missing some interesting objects.
Does miss a few ..Even skyportal version of it misses NGC 2808, one of the best GLOBS...
Though I love it for doubles etc.
Can use Compass mode as a manual goto system... .as explained here.
https://www.space.com/33876-skysafari-five.html.VERY HANDY .
bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 11-01-2018 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Add
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-01-2018, 06:44 AM
mozzie's Avatar
mozzie (Peter)
Registered User

mozzie is online now
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: moonee beach
Posts: 2,174
I'm still using V3pro to star hop.And as big joe was saying it has a compass made to use as a goto ??? Just how accurate would it be hummmm...

Remember the old celestron sky scout trying to use those to star hop they never really worked..But technology has changed

Can someone do a report on the accuracy of the compass mode please
Maybe time to update

Mozzie
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 04:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
FLI Cameras and Imaging Accessories
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Atik Horizon
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Interest Free Finance
Advertisement
SkyWatcher 2018 Catalogue
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
SkyWatcher WiFi Adaptor
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement