Old 13-02-2019, 07:35 PM
DarkArts

Opportunity Lost

So it looks like, barring a miracle, Mars rover Opportunity will soon be declared lost after suffering a massive Mars dust storm eight months ago, the same storm that affected views of Mars during the 2018 opposition.

NASA about to pull plug on Mars rover Opportunity after it was silenced by immense dust storm

Still, 15 years on Mars is a pretty amazing achievement for a "career" (primary mission) that was supposed to last three months. I guess in "dog" years, Opportunity was 500+ years old at the close ...
Old 13-02-2019, 07:56 PM
Multiverse (Grant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArts View Post
So it looks like, barring a miracle, Mars rover Opportunity will soon be declared lost after suffering a massive Mars dust storm eight months ago, the same storm that affected views of Mars during the 2018 opposition.

NASA about to pull plug on Mars rover Opportunity after it was silenced by immense dust storm

Still, 15 years on Mars is a pretty amazing achievement for a "career" (primary mission) that was supposed to last three months. I guess in "dog" years, Opportunity was 500+ years old at the close ...
Only a three month mission? That surprises me - would have thought with the huge investment costs of construction & launch it would be designed for a longer life.
Old 13-02-2019, 08:01 PM
DarkArts

90 days ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://www.space.com/18289-opportunity-rover.html
Opportunity is a rover that has been working on Mars since January 2004. Originally intended to last 90 days, the machine crawled more than the distance of a marathon (26.2 miles, or 42.1 kilometers) between its landing day and when the rover was last heard from on Mars, on June 10, 2018. As of that time the odometer on Opportunity read 28.06 miles (45.16 km).
Old 13-02-2019, 09:15 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (spirit.jpg)
114.8 KB81 views
Old 14-02-2019, 09:21 AM
Shano592 (Shane)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
Only a three month mission? That surprises me - would have thought with the huge investment costs of construction & launch it would be designed for a longer life.
The Hubble Telescope was the same. It was never meant to still be running after 29 years. I think JWT was supposed to replace it at least 5 years ago, but Hubble's original plan was for no more than about 10 years, I think.

Oh, if only they could build such wild underestimations into motor vehicles, or home appliances...
Old 14-02-2019, 06:17 PM
DarkArts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shano592 View Post
Oh, if only they could build such wild underestimations into motor vehicles, or home appliances...
Agreed! Wouldn't that be nice for a change. Still, in my case, I'm running a laptop and a car both from 2001 ... so some things last.
Old 14-02-2019, 08:30 PM
leon

A total wast of money, spend it on the poor and homeless.

Mars is totally inhabitable so why would some one spend so much money on a desolate dry dusty piece of rock, it really is beyond me

It is just stupid that anyone here on this forum agrees with this idea of planting a human on this rock.

The billions spent could feed millions of starving people it is about time some one got it right

And i really don't care if that stupid rover they sent up there died, so would we all

Leon
Old 14-02-2019, 09:32 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post

And i really don't care if that stupid rover they sent up there died, so would we all

Leon
Old 15-02-2019, 06:19 PM
DarkArts

Quote:
It is just stupid that anyone here on this forum agrees with this idea of planting a human on this rock.
This thread has nothing to do with human space exploration.
Old 15-02-2019, 06:39 PM
Multiverse (Grant)

Quote:

Mars is totally inhabitable so why would some one spend so much money on a desolate dry dusty piece of rock, it really is beyond me

The billions spent could feed millions of starving people it is about time some one got it right

Leon
Mmm, so going by that thinking would you also say the moon landings were a waste of money?! What about all the spin offs from these investments? I respect your view but find it surprising for an astronomer.
There will always be disadvantaged/poor people on earth so I guess we will never get a chance to space travel then?
We explore because we are curious (what a waste of our advanced civilization if we never explore). Gaining knowledge from these endeavours is priceless.
Old 16-02-2019, 12:33 AM
StuTodd

Mars has never failed to disappoint, especially visually.

And is probably why we'll find some bloody good solar system science there one day.
Old 16-02-2019, 02:45 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:

Leon

That old rubbish, the money would NOT be spent feeding people and when we have overpopulated to the point when we cant feed all the population we have and no space to have more, do you condone forced sterilisation
Old 16-02-2019, 11:16 AM
redbeard (Damien)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry...
I laughed, great cartoon!