Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-04-2015, 11:57 AM
Rick Parrott
Dexdoggy

Box for Bits

Found this toolbox at Bunnings to store all the things for my telescopes the other week. I sat some foam in the little orange boxes for eyepice storage. Really nice and simple, even holds the spotting scope for my 12" Dob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Telecase.JPG)
127.8 KB171 views
Old 30-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Visionary (David)

Very neat! I have been thinking about the best way of establishing order within the chaos that is my scope & camera gear. What I would really like is a purpose built wooden storage unit, I guess I will just have to keep on wishing. The alternative is a trip to Bunnings this weekend, I believe that is the safest passage to create order within the chaos.
Old 30-04-2015, 02:43 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Works fine until your next purchase? Or has the finance minister house trained you at last?
Old 30-04-2015, 06:08 PM
Visionary (David)

Sil, The Authority still reigns supreme over the finances, my only hope is a late MasterCard statement!
Old 01-05-2015, 11:17 AM
Rick Parrott
Dexdoggy

Next purchase is to be a baby 'scope to go camping with! Pre-approval from the Finance Minister
Old 17-05-2015, 08:39 PM
Bernie.o

Amazing what you can find at Bunnings - and put to use for intended but also other uses than its original design!
Old 19-05-2015, 05:49 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parrott View Post
Found this toolbox at Bunnings to store all the things for my telescopes the other week. I sat some foam in the little orange boxes for eyepice storage. Really nice and simple, even holds the spotting scope for my 12" Dob.
Thats a dang good sized 'Box for Bits', I might check our local Bunnings outlet for something similar.

Re 'Finances' do what I do do. We live on our credit card, pay it clear each month, so no interest. That is for all normal household purchases, food etc etc etc. But I get 'Pocket Money' each fortnight, just $40, for the rare cash required situations. So I stick $20 of it in a jar and forget about it. Currently it is up around $240 I think and off the record, already 'spent' and quite 'legal' as far as the Finance Minister is concerned. That is what funds my extras so a box at Bunnings will come from there.
(But I just also bought a 2" IR filter on the card, don't tell anyone shhh ! )
Old 23-05-2015, 05:42 PM
astro_nutt

I brought the same cantilever tool box a few years back and it has managed to cope with the new additions...so far! It is very robust and keeps everything where in it's place.
Old 24-05-2015, 10:23 AM
SkyWatch (Dean)

If you keep those savings going and the Finance Minister wants to add a bit for your birthday you can always go for something like this:
http://www.wood-wonders.com/Eyepiece.htm

But in the meantime Bunnings is very useful!

- Dean
Old 24-05-2015, 10:06 PM
Wavytone

Wooden boxes are really bad for optics - even if well varnished they constantly shed dust and fibres that end up in your eyepieces.

Plastic or metal are far superior.
Old 29-05-2015, 11:26 PM
Wood-Wonders (Ron Burrows)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Wooden boxes are really bad for optics - even if well varnished they constantly shed dust and fibres that end up in your eyepieces.

Plastic or metal are far superior.
I've heard this comment a number of time through out the years but have not experienced such a condition. My personal box is now 6 years old and my optics are no worse than normal. In my opinion Pluck Foam is far worse. To date I have made close to 300 cases and have never had any reports of dust or fibers. No more than normal use. Just thought I had to reply.
Old 30-05-2015, 12:58 AM
sn1987a (Barry)

My two Wood Wonders cases are some of my favourite possessions.

I have had 2 Wood Wonders eyepiece cases by Ron for two years now and I love them. My only regret is that I don't have more eyepieces so that I could order another one.

Beautiful and lots of ooh-ahhs everytime I whip them out.

I did the cheap Bunnings routine in the beginning but I'm glad I moved on from that. I have had no issues with wood dust and fibres. Plenty of issues with eye juice, dew, lashes and road dust when the eyepieces are exposed outside their boxes but not when they're safe and snug inside.

Perfect gift for anyone into Astronomy
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (wood wonders 1.jpg)
180.6 KB29 views
Click for full-size image (wood wonders 2.jpg)
178.4 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (wood wonders 4.jpg)
78.3 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (wood wonders 3.jpg)
87.3 KB25 views
Old 31-05-2015, 10:00 AM
SkyWatch (Dean)

They look great Barry: good to see you have the latest Sky and Telescope magazine there too!
I have a hemispherical mirror that I use for projection in my portable planetarium. I keep it upside down in a wooden box, and no problems with any more than normal dust... Likewise my 12" mirror in my wooden telescope.
I have lusted after the Wood Wonders cases and seen one up close too: excellent ideas incorporated and does a great job.

PS: Love your eyepiece collection!