Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 21-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Digital_Artist

NEQ6 Pro mount without SynScan controller

hi, i was originally planning to buy a HEQ5 Pro goto mount for GSO RC 8" but experts in this forum (in fact in other forums also) pointed that NEQ6 Pro is better option and future proof. However, as it is over my budget, I did a little research and found that this mount can be driven by computer without SynScan Controller. In fact EQMOD provides far more powerful features by bypassing the hand-controller and communicating directly with the mount's stepper motor controller.

So, i need three things (besides the mount):
1) EQMOD software ----- free
2) Stellarium software ----- free
3) USB2EQ6 Interface Cable -------- (which is not free but i don't know how much it costs in bintel/ andrew)

Now, my questions are:
1) how much will i be able to save without SynScan controller?
2) What are the pros and cons of having and not having this controller?
3) Any other thing should i know?

Link:
http://www.bintel.com.au/Mounts---Tr...oductview.aspx
http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/introindex.html
http://www.store.shoestringastronomy...roducts_eq.htm
http://www.stellarium.org/
Old 21-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

The EQDir cable is a "nice to have" option for the EQmod set-up.
You can get all the benefits just using the serial upgrade cable which comes with the mount (well, you may need a serial>usb adaptor (Keyspan recommended) anyway) between the PC and the handcontroller.
Set the controller via "Utilities/" to PCDirect and Eqmod will effectively communicate between your planetarium program (I use CdC) and the mount.
Simples......
Old 21-02-2013, 10:23 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
You can get all the benefits just using the serial upgrade cable which comes with the mount ..... between the PC and the handcontroller.
Set the controller via "Utilities/" to PCDirect and Eqmod will effectively communicate between your planetarium program .... and the mount.
Ken, DA was inquiring about running EQmod on the mount purchased without the Synscan handcontroller.

I'm not sure if the EQ6 pro is available for purchase without the HC is it?
If it is, I'm not sure it would have a significant reduction in price?

To answer Q2, the only con I can think of is you will always have to use a lappy, which isn't such a big deal really.
I use EQmod and CdC on an 11" netbook (HP Pavillion dm1) which has ~8 hour battery life.
Old 21-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

If you cannot get hold of a NEQ6 without the controller, maybe look at getting an EQ6 with Syntrek. I had one a few years ago and it worked flawlessly with EQMOD with EQDIR. Good luck with finding one though, they are a little rare, but you might be lucky enough to find one in the classifieds. Maybe even contact a few Astro suppliers to see if they know anyone wanting to upgrade from their Syntrek model to the latest AZEQ6...

I now have a HEQ5Pro and will be running EQMOD via a 10.1" HP netbook soon.
Old 22-02-2013, 11:50 PM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

if you dont have the synscan controller it's going to be quite a pain centering objects on the FOV. You'll have to look then go back to the computer adjust, go back to the computer and so on. You can buy a game pad to do the job and they work quite well but the synscan is very very handy, especially now that new firmware has a polar align routine.If you are only using the mount for visual then get the synscan. if you are only going to do photography then dont bother about the synscan.
But as someone pointed out, not sure if you can get them with out a controller.
Old 23-02-2013, 11:39 PM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

Yer your after a syntrek and they no longer sell them new, the best buy was the eq6 from andrews now there gone its neq6 and thats it. I would never buy a mount secondhand unless i knew the owner really looked after it and then factored in the price vs new, most of the time having a warrenty and knowing things won't die is worth the extra money. I would say a g11 is really future proofing, you get what you pay for with everything, though the Chinese mounts are great bang for buck when your pockets are near empty which mine are haha.
Old 30-11-2020, 01:21 PM
TheNaudster (Andre)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
if you dont have the synscan controller it's going to be quite a pain centering objects on the FOV. You'll have to look then go back to the computer adjust, go back to the computer and so on. You can buy a game pad to do the job and they work quite well but the synscan is very very handy, especially now that new firmware has a polar align routine.If you are only using the mount for visual then get the synscan. if you are only going to do photography then dont bother about the synscan.
But as someone pointed out, not sure if you can get them with out a controller.
Hi White Rabbit, I thought the whole idea of ASCOM EQMOD is to fully automate the "find, select, slew, platesolve and centre FOV align, track, guide and imaging" the object, so this requires no handset whatsoever. Even for purely visual you could get away without using a HC. EQMOD has the ability to use a game pad or game controler like a PS2,3,4 HC... Anyways, its been a long time between posts so sure things have moved on from then. What I would like to understand though are the benefits of bypassing the Synscan v5 HC completely. My setup currently goes from laptop to mount via the HC and works well. What else is it missing? Are there any other benefits ditching the HC completely or is it now just an aesthetic cleaner look without the HC there? I cant find any clear information on this anywhere. Cheers all and clear skies!!!!
Old 30-11-2020, 01:46 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Here’s some important information in relation to utilising your Synscan handcontroller as a means of connection between mount and laptop when using EQMOD

Skywatcher Mounts PC Direct or EQ Direct Method of Connection

Skywatcher Mounts PC Direct or EQ Direct

For those beginners with Skywatcher mounts considering advancing from using the handcontroller to controlling the mount from a laptop nearby, here’s some important information from the EQMOD Project group regarding the use of the PC Direct method of connection rather than the recommended method which is EQ Direct ( via the older StellariumScope driver or the newer Ascom driver when using Stellarium as your preferred planetarium for Goto and navigation)

Is PCDIRECT a suitable alternative to using an EQDIRECT?

Although both EQDIRECT and PC-Direct would on the surface appear to do the same job of providing a RS232 interface to the Synta mounts, the means by which this is achieved are quite different.
First of all we need to understand a little about the nature of Synta mount communications. The low level protocol that is used for mount communications is rather basis- it is ASCII based and has no parity checking, message checksum or error correction/detection capability. It is designed for a simple master slave operation and there is no routing information within the protocol structure to support a multi-master environment
An EQDirect device provides a “hardware only” interface to the mount that simply converts RS232 transmit and receive signals (-9V to 9V) to TTL signals (0-5V). When EQASCOM is connected to the mount via an EQDIRECT it becomes the sole master device in control of the mounts stepper controllers (slaves). PC -Direct on the other hand is a firmware based solution that requires the synscan to intelligently buffer and route messages from the PC to the mount and from the mount to the PC. Also, because synscan based control is also active when in PC-Direct mode, it has also to be able to route messages between the synscan and mount. As already discussed the low level mount protocol is not designed to handle routing and the complexity of the functionality the SYNSCAN must be providing whilst in PC-Direct mode should not be underestimated.
Unfortunately Synta have yet to publicly document the intended purpose of PC-Direct mode and there has been no guidance issued as to what represents best practice when using it. Certainly there has never been any mention as to its suitability for use in combination with EQASCOM.
When it comes to EQASCOM it is important to understand that the mount control strategy has been designed around the basic premise that EQASCOM is in sole control of the mount and can exercise this control at any time it wishes. This is certainly the case when using an EQDIRECT but when using PC-Direct it is the synscan that ultimately controls access to the mount and there are now two “masters”, the synscan and EQASCOM, that are capable of commanding the mount. PC-Direct therefore potentially compromises the very basis of EQASCOM mount control.
The susceptibility of the mount communication to undetected corruption, EQASCOM's primary requirement for sole and immediate access to the mount and the lack of insight into the implementation and constraints of PC-Direct mode are the reasons why it is recommended that PC-Direct is only suitable for evaluation purposes only and never for unattended use. The fact that PC-Direct may appear to work with a particular version of EQASCOM is no guarantee that it will continue to do so for any future release of Synscan firmware or EQASCOM software. For those intending to regularly use EQASCOM it really does not make any sense to compromise the reliability and robustness of your set up by choosing PC-Direct in preference to an EQDIRECT

The above is in reference to the existing PC Direct method of connection using your Hand controller and the latest Skywatcher USB adapters which can be plugged into the end of your Synscan handcontroller and then to your laptop with a USB2 cable ( this is an example of the PC Direct Method )

Cheers
Martin