Old 25-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Loupy31 (Peter)
Invented the Four Track

Capture Software and Laptop

Hi All,
I need some advice regarding Capture software for a 300D Canon and Also I am in need of a new Laptop as well. I have read that MS Vista is not suitable for some programs Please advise.

Peter
Old 29-05-2009, 07:21 AM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

I use an Eee PC by ASUS. It has a 1.6 atom processor and I have 2 gig of ram installed and it more than handles the load i give it. And they are cheap, about $700.

I run Starry Night 6, PHD with a DSI 2 colour for guiding. I use a canon 1000D for imaging controled from the lap top as well. With all that connected I can still surf the web or do things in photo shop cs3 with no problem at all.

I'd highly recomend the Eee Pc for astro work if the 10" screen doesnt bother you.
Old 29-05-2009, 09:09 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Here's some suggestions of capture programs:

Nebulosity 2
DSLR Shutter
Images Plus
DSLR Focus (no longer supported but will work fine with your 300D)
CCDSoft
Mixim DL/DSLR

The above vary considerably in price (some are free some are several hundred $US) and in capabilities (DSLR Shutter is simple but effective when used in combination with canon utilities, Images Plus, CCDSoft & Maxim are at the other end of the spectrum, providing full functionality).

For guiding:
PHD Guider
Guide Dog

I use Vista Ultimate on my Dell laptop with my 350D + Nebulosity 2 + DSLR Shutter + TheSky6 + CCDSoft with no problems at all.

Roger.
Old 29-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Roger,

Can you explain what you mean by using DSLR Shutter in conjunction with the Canon EOS Utility software?

Regards,
Humayun
Old 29-05-2009, 10:51 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Can you explain what you mean by using DSLR Shutter in conjunction with the Canon EOS Utility software?
Sure.. It's something I stumbled upon when testing DSLR Shutter for my setup. I have found that if I do the following procedure it works quite nicely..

1) connect DBUSB connection for long exposure shutter control of the camera
2) connect camera to computer & turn on
3) click on the auto-load canon page to activate remote shooting
4) leave the remote shooting window open, on one side of my screen
5) there might have been a setting somewhere in that remote shooting window to monitor the download location which I turned on, unsure, I don't have it infront of me right now.
6) I test the remote connection by using the shutter button on the canon remote connection utility and making sure it downloads an image and opens up my canon default viewer (Digital Photo Professional in my case).
7) open DSLR Shutter and start taking photo's (having configured it for DBUSB)

... then, from then on I use the canon remote control utility to adjust ISO and a few other things (aperture - when using canon lens, RAW etc), and I use DSLR Shutter to take the exposures.

When DSLR Shutter takes an exposure, seemingly because the canon remote control utility is monitoring the situation, the exposure is downloaded and immediately shown in Digital Photo Professional.

It seems that having the two working together results in the nice "quirk" that the images (of even long exposures) are downloaded immediately and the default viewer refreshed to show it.

Works really neat I find, and so simplistic and nice. Both utilities are so small on the screen and their user interfaces so functional that I can make my working area of the desktop very functional (makes for less fuss out in the field).

This works great for series of exposures, not so useful for focus. For focusing, I do that first (before the above) and use Nebulosity 2.

I don't use Nebulosity 2 for capture very much, because I find working with RGB FITS more trouble than it's worth with the canon files, I prefer working with RAW files.

Roger.
Old 29-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Roger,

Cheers for your explanation.

I thought that you had found a link between the two software which would negate the use or need of the DBUSB. I'm just not prepared to fork over so much money for such a simple device. If you read my reply to the stacking software thread, you'll see where I'm coming from.

I was going to ask why you don't just use the Canon software solely, but, then realised that you're imaging with a 350D which requires the instruction/data cables, unlike the newer breed of cameras which does everything on the one line.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 29-05-2009, 11:31 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
I was going to ask why you don't just use the Canon software solely, but, then realised that you're imaging with a 350D which requires the instruction/data cables, unlike the newer breed of cameras which does everything on the one line.
Yeah... I wouldn't mind a new camera