Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 17-07-2020, 12:58 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Went there this morning and they have a full rack of offcuts. Pretty cool. They're cheaper than capral and ulrich as well. And they carry 6061. The same shop in Smeaton Grange doesn't do offcuts though. I had rung them last week and crossed Action Aluminium off the list. Lucky you told me about that other shop in Smithfield.

The bloke gave me a full catalogue but I already spotted some of the bits I could use in the racks. And they can cut to size if needed.
That is very handy information to know about, may be worth a visit for a browse of the offcuts rack if I happen to be in the area.
Old 22-07-2020, 02:40 PM
dikman (Richard)

Multiweb, thanks again for that link, I just ordered a 5 kg bag from them, figured I might as well make it worthwhile. I had been trying to find somewhere that sold the offcuts for a while, as most of the things I make seem to require smallish bits of ally, so this should last me.
Old 25-07-2020, 06:10 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Good stuff.

Another good source of cheap brass that seems to machine quite well is the plumbing aisle in bunnings. Those plugs, reducers and water/gaz fittings come in all sizes and shapes and are cheap as chips.
Old 29-07-2020, 09:51 AM
dikman (Richard)

My aly arrived yesterday. Postage wasn't exactly cheap to Adelaide but I ordered 5 kg and because they packed the little box with as much as they could I actually got 6 kg. This should last me a long time.
Old 30-07-2020, 10:04 AM
alval (Alan)

Sorry Richard only just noticed you were in adelaide, if you need more or bigger all sizes and grades of ally, brass , stainless etc. round, square, flat, sheet offcuts. Surman metals at Greenfields has offcut racks of all sorts which I use regularly. Cash is king for small amounts otherwise its 30 dollar minimum for card and receipt.
Al
Old 31-07-2020, 07:44 AM
dikman (Richard)

Bugger! Oh well, now I know where to go for other bits, thanks mate.