Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-11-2015, 08:31 AM
Paul Haese

Pinery Bush Fire in SA

With the heat and wind yesterday SA once again "mysteriously" found itself fighting another huge fire north of the city. To date 2 people have been killed, 13 people seriously injured, crops lost and live stock. 2000 pigs were killed when a fire moved through a piggery. I suppose some idiot started this deliberately or by negligence. I really despise fire bugs and it seems each time conditions are ripe for fire we get someone setting fire to a part of our state.

The Astronomical Society of South Australia was lucky when the fire missed the observatories at Stockport by metres. The house to the west of the facility was destroyed and fire lapped around our observatory. We have recently installed a new turret (8 metres in diameter) and new dome. A few of use spent 12 months cladding and flashing the new turret. It would have been heart breaking to lose the new turret (see photo). Not to mention the planning we spent several years doing for this new turret and the significant investment in money.

This also comes as Stockport which in 2010 was hit by a severe flood and lots of houses were seriously damaged. They must be wondering what the hell is going to be thrown at them next. Fires are still raging close by and roads are still closed.

Only 12 months ago we had the Sampson flat fire which took a lot of homes and burnt out a lot area. Again started by an idiot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1776.jpg)
85.2 KB72 views
Old 26-11-2015, 09:04 AM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

As soon as the words "fire ban" and "catastrophic conditions" are mentiined, the fire bugs start up. Last week police and firies were called out to Loveday where two people were attempting to start a fire. That was on the Thursday, when the conditions were labelled catastrophic.

People are idiots abd, as long as there are people on this planet, there will always be someone stupid enough to start an out of control fire.

I hope everyone stays safe and that no more lives are lost to this horrific event.
Old 26-11-2015, 10:05 AM
Kunama

Very sad to see such destruction again and it won't be the last time.
I lived in Nangwarry and Mt Burr for a couple of years long long ago and it was always a worry there. Thankfully these arse-onists were few and far between in those days and any that were caught usually ended up bruised and battered and sure learned a lesson.
Old 26-11-2015, 11:00 AM
BeanerSA (Paul)

Sad about the loss of lives, homes, and livestock, but a small amount of relief that the obs was spared.
Old 26-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Exfso (Peter)

These "Lard Heads" need to have some fire placed under them I reckon. The scary thing is a lot of them work in the fire industry. I suppose they do this to get their rocks off!!
Old 26-11-2015, 03:51 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Believe it or not, it snowed at my place today....
Old 26-11-2015, 04:09 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post
Believe it or not, it snowed at my place today....
For real? Summer is only next week though

- I did a google search and it doesn't sound very nice!

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-1...ove-in/6976346
Old 26-11-2015, 09:16 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Unfortunately these half wits thrive on their moments of infamy. They are nothing more than terrorists and should be treated as such.
Old 26-11-2015, 09:24 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

I have been following this on social media, lots of my friends had evacuated or were ready to go and unfortunately some friends of friends have lost their house to the fire.
They are alright but with a young baby in tow it must be devastating to have lost it all.
Thoughts go out to all those affected and hope everyone stays safe.