Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-02-2021, 12:21 PM
gary

Sydney's Waverley Council passes resolution to cut light pollution

Following a proposal by Northern Beaches Council in Sydney to create an Urban Night Sky Place at Palm Beach Headland,
Waverley Council have passed a resolution this month to cut light pollution and examine whether to establish a Dark Sky Reserve
in parks and along the coast.

Article in today's Sydney Morning herald by Andrew Taylor :-
https://www.smh.com.au/national/east...26-p5766s.html

Earlier this month I wrote to NSW Energy & Environment Minister
Matt Kean stating I would like to see further initiatives in light pollution policies in NSW.

They advised that Matt Kean had written to the Minister for Planning on
my behalf to pass on my concerns and suggestions surrounding light
pollution in NSW and that they would be in touch when they received a
response.

Contact details for Matt Kean, NSW Energy and Environment Minister
and member for Hornsby :-
https://mattkean.com.au/contact-matt-kean-mp

Contact details fro Rob Stokes, NSW Planning and Public Spaces Minister
and member for Pittwater :-
https://www.robstokes.com.au/contact-0
Old 28-02-2021, 12:58 PM
glend (Glen)

Too late I fear. The time for action (and this would have to be concerted action by All local government councils) was probably ten years ago. The sad truth is that local government Councils have no political interest, because there is nothing in it for them. The only way to reduce light pollution in the Sydney basin is to take real action to reduce light sources, and to many residents and businesses, light represents security, safety, crime deterant, etc.
Imho, the focus of action has to be on stopping as much of the spread as posdible, and containing it within the Sydney basin. Look at the light pollution map, the Central Coast is already ruined.
Old 28-02-2021, 01:49 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Glen is right, of course. And the same problem may be found around any suburban sprawl anywhere. The opportunity does exist, though, to identify dark sky park areas away from the population centres. From the selfish perspective of astronomers, that is our “last frontier”. Once we lose it, it is effectively gone for good. So while I laud anything being done to promote the message about light pollution in a general way, I do believe we are flogging a dead horse in those areas already gone over to the forces of lightness.

Peter
Old 28-02-2021, 01:58 PM
Rerouter (Ryan)

Compared to Canberra, Sydney is very bright, I would say any reduction in that is a step in the right direction,

Personally I prefer less street light brightness, some areas are so lit up, the moment you pass them your temporarily blind, I can dream of a time when south sydney does more to reduce that brightness as when cycling all it seems to do is make more pronounced shadows for people to be hidden in.
Old 28-02-2021, 08:55 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

iam still waiting to get my streetlight covered although newcastle council has said its coming
Old 28-02-2021, 09:41 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan meehan View Post
iam still waiting to get my streetlight covered although newcastle council has said its coming
That is great news Alan. Council have to ask AusGrid to do the job. Keep after them.
Old 28-02-2021, 10:25 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Saw the article in the paper today, there is hope yet. May many more councils get on board please, though reducing all the advertising lighting will be problematic. The advertisers will probably cry restraint of trade or something similar. Reducing the wattage of street lighting and proper shielding would be most welcome too.
Old 28-02-2021, 11:40 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Getting action is not easy, but it’s worth persisting, I have been successful on several occasions with large developments to get control measures in Place to reduce light pollution!