Old 21-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Startrek (Martin)

NGC 3324 Gabriela Mistral Nebula

Glorious days and nights over the weekend so far down the South Coast
Captured NGC 3324 for the first time
Outer part of the greater Carina Nebula
Bortle 3 skies , 50% moon , very light dew around and most importantly very few mozzies
8” f5 Bintel GSO newt
EQ6-R mount
ZWOASI2600MC set in Ascom HDR Gain 0 cooled to -12C
ZWO 2” Duoband filter
28 x 5 minute dithered guided subs
No darks
No flats
PHD2 guiding ( best numbers so far on this low end Chinese mount ( Ra 0.54 Dec 3.9 total rms 0.67 arc sec )
Goto and nav EQMOD and Ascom Stellarium
Frame focus and capture APT
Stacked in DSS ( kappa sigma )
Processed in Startools version 1.7 ( finally upgraded )
I captured just over 2 hours on both Friday and Saturday nights but only used last nights data to see how the image processed
Might add both sets of data later to see if more detail can be exposed ?
NB: The 2600MC produces almost zero noise under dark skies , I only had to set noise reduction in Startools to 2.5 pixels to smear the faint noise grain , unbelievable camera !!

Comments most welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (50179437-9DB6-4115-9528-36BD97204348.jpg)
221.2 KB75 views
Old 21-02-2021, 01:42 PM
PKay (Peter)

Good result M

I always integrate all the data I can find, definitely add the previous night.

Let's hope the sky stays clear.
Old 21-02-2021, 05:14 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Good one, Martin

What I'm wondering is, did you use the the concrete landing pads for your tripod on the new deck?!
Old 21-02-2021, 05:33 PM
assbutt94

WOW! That's a beaut!
Old 21-02-2021, 06:27 PM
RyanJones

Nice work Martin. A bit of coma in the corners which I’m sure you’re aware of but a nice shot non the less. I’ve done this one myself recently but I didn’t post it because I’m not happy with my processing and my stars are funky as hell . Bit of a waste of 15hrs of data but I’m just treating it as a 15hr lesson lol. The stars aren’t going anywhere soon.

Only comment I would make is just be careful describing your mount as a low end Chinese mount in the beginners section. There maybe a lot of newbies that read these threads that from that might be turned away from what is a very capable mount and may think that it is a must to spend 10s of thousands on a high end mount. The guiding numbers you have achieved would certainly suit many people for many years as they already have for you. Not a big gripe, I’d just like to make sure fresh people aren’t discouraged from joining in this amazing hobby.

Cheers

Ryan
Old 21-02-2021, 08:59 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Nathan,
Thanks for the nice comment
I probably stretched it a little to much which sacrifices some fine detail

Ryan,
Thanks too
Yeh I’m aware of the coma on the edges , I didn’t want to crop out the Gem cluster as I think it makes the image a bit more interesting
The coma around the edges is something you have to deal with from image to image , when the field is sparse on the edges with stars it’s not noticeable but in this image the star field is dense and hence more noticeable. My Baader CC is about 3mm too far away from the sensor which is likely to be the main reason.Baader specs say +- 1mm , there’s nothing I can do about the spacing in my set up.
Also I take your point about describing the EQ6-R. I should have said “ very capable lower to mid range mount” instead. I hope my comment hasn’t discouraged newbies to AP with limited budgets and are interested in the very popular EQ6-R mount
Thanks again
Martin

PS: Oh by the way I have another + 2 hrs of data ( last nights ) to add to this image so I’ll re stack and process during the week and see if it adds any more detail of quality
Old 21-02-2021, 09:14 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
Good one, Martin

What I'm wondering is, did you use the the concrete landing pads for your tripod on the new deck?!
Thanks JP,
No I’m not using the deck until until the NexDome is installed as I want to make sure the mount is correctly positioned, aligned and orientated ( I don’t want to drill unnecessary holes in the deck ) The holes I drill will also suit a future upgrade to the EQ8-R mount, if I go down that path. I also have a centre pier to support a future pier mount EQ6-R or future pier mount EQ8-R. I have a local metal fabricator who can weld me up an extension pier to suit both mounts
When I can no longer continue with this hobby in the future, hopefully I get another 10 or 15 years ( I’m 61 ) , the Dome can be sold and the deck can be used for a BBQ and lounge deck or gazebo etc..
Cheers
Martin
Old 21-02-2021, 09:39 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
My Baader CC is about 3mm too far away from the sensor which is likely to be the main reason.Baader specs say +- 1mm , there’s nothing I can do about the spacing in my set up.
Did you mean too close instead of too far away ? Too far away introduces a curvature pattern where the stars elongate in a circular pattern. Too close gives elongation towards the outer edges. You can get fine tuning rings or variable adaptors to change the spacing. That way there’s never a stress about the density of the star field.

Totally agree about leaving the cluster in. It certainly improves the overall image. As far as clusters go it’s a really nice one.
Old 22-02-2021, 02:23 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
Did you mean too close instead of too far away ? Too far away introduces a curvature pattern where the stars elongate in a circular pattern. Too close gives elongation towards the outer edges. You can get fine tuning rings or variable adaptors to change the spacing. That way there’s never a stress about the density of the star field.

Totally agree about leaving the cluster in. It certainly improves the overall image. As far as clusters go it’s a really nice one.
Ryan
I just checked my set up
On the 2600MC distance from sensor face to face of camera housing is 17.5mm
Extension adapter ( 1x M42M-M42F ) 21mm
Extension adapter ( 1x M42M-M48F ) 16.5mm
Allow 1mm of tolerance
Total distance sensor to Baader Mk3 CC is 56mm
So it is within the technical parameters of the coma corrector to sensor 55mm +- 1mm
I’m still getting a bit of coma on the edges

Martin
Old 22-02-2021, 06:48 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Ryan
I just checked my set up
On the 2600MC distance from sensor face to face of camera housing is 17.5mm
Extension adapter ( 1x M42M-M42F ) 21mm
Extension adapter ( 1x M42M-M48F ) 16.5mm
Allow 1mm of tolerance
Total distance sensor to Baader Mk3 CC is 56mm
So it is within the technical parameters of the coma corrector to sensor 55mm +- 1mm
I’m still getting a bit of coma on the edges

Martin
I, as you know have been going through the same challenges. Exacerbated by my f/4 ratio. I’ve extended the distance by 3.5mm give or take and it’s has considerably helped. It’s still not perfect but it’s a lot closer. I shouldn’t imagine yours will need to be increased by that much but maybe if you can add another mm or so and try it ?