Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 05-12-2017, 06:37 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso View Post
Yeh I only came across the panther mount a couple of weeks ago looking other options.

As usual you've got everything under control!

In the meantime it seems to be fine on the side mount:
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (MIS_4914.jpg)
117.7 KB122 views
Old 05-12-2017, 07:19 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Where is the FOA-finder?
Old 05-12-2017, 07:25 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Where is the FOA-finder?
I just placed a big order with my friends at Telescope Express....... a new finder
which show the sky right way up and correct left to right is in the box they sent me today......
Old 05-12-2017, 07:33 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Well, sell me the Skysurfer
Old 06-12-2017, 05:51 AM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Well, sell me the Skysurfer
Lewis, would you like me to add one to my next order from TS

I am actually getting the new version of the SSV for the binoculars and making a little bracket to hold it vertical on the FQR-1 of the left TSA.
I also got the Baader Polaris I illuminated reticle eyepiece for faster and easier alignment of the mount.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:42 AM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

Food for thought:
Meade fork mounts have been used to successfully mount binoscopes:
https://digiborg.wordpress.com/2017/...-binoscopes-2/

And the Avalon binoscope fork mount looks awesome, but is bound to be $$$:
http://www.avalon-instruments.com/products/binoscope
Old 06-12-2017, 01:12 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Hi Matt,
Wonderful set up , I hope you stay with this sep up for the Mars opposition next year.

Congratulations sweet set up.

David.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:57 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroApprentice View Post
Food for thought:
Meade fork mounts have been used to successfully mount binoscopes:
https://digiborg.wordpress.com/2017/...-binoscopes-2/

And the Avalon binoscope fork mount looks awesome, but is bound to be $$$:
http://www.avalon-instruments.com/products/binoscope
I looked at those Jason, but in the end decided to build my own conversion for the AZEQ6 to top-mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave47tuc View Post
Hi Matt,
Wonderful set up , I hope you stay with this sep up for the Mars opposition next year.

Congratulations sweet set up.

David.
David, I am carving my name onto the two OTAs to remove any temptation for anyone else to buy them..... I don't know how they will compare to some of my other stuff but I think these should be fine for lunar and planetary viewing and will give much wider true fields for OCs than my last few scopes ... I love being able to view with both eyes, so much more relaxing than mono-viewing.

I will also sort out a more portable mount for quick views.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:06 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

There is a certain brand of Turkish Delight covered in chocolate that's been an Australian icon for decades.

A namesake to this may want to sell his prehistoric reptile mount that you sold to him (along with the toey telescope I believe).

If you can't decipher that, then you are old
Old 06-12-2017, 04:41 PM
thebonz (John)

tak bino

With all the pieces coming together it could be the first FRANKENTAK
Old 06-12-2017, 07:59 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Nah, there is a Frankentak dealer in Melbourne.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:30 PM
Kunama

Just to close off this thread on the build of the Bi-Tak:

Well the sky cleared and gave a couple of hours of very memorable views through the Bino-TSA.
I only used two pairs of eyepieces during the two hour stint, Panoptic 24mm at 37.5x and Takahashi LE7.5mm at 120x.
I will do a proper test of the scope soon but at this moment I consider it money well spent, I loved the absolutely pin sharp optics even more in the binoscope mode than mono.
The EMS-Matsumoto erecting mirror system is an absolute pleasure to use and merging the images is very easy whether over terrestrial distances or infinity focus.
The cradle worked perfectly to hold the tubes parallel and even my L-bracket performed admirably.

The comfort factor of the binoscope is fantastic. They really do give an impression of depth in the view.
The "binocular summation factor" has been argued ad infinitum on various fora, suffice to say that there seems to be truth in it.
For whatever reason the brain seems to combine the signals in a way that really improves one's ability to see the detail there.
Of course the absolute optical resolution is still that of a single 120mm optic but the improved 'signal to noise ratio' certainly allows one to 'see' more of what is there.

Later this week I will do an all-nighter with the Bi-Tak and hopefully have it side by side with Phil's TOA150 with Baader binoviewers.....
Old 11-12-2017, 11:10 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Excellent stuff Matt. Looking forward to your "all nighter " report. I've had your binos as my screensaver for a few days. It will soon need updating to Tak-bino with fork mount? . Cheers Richard
Old 12-12-2017, 11:46 AM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Fabulous work.
I've looked through a few big (newtonian) binos and they really do give astounding views for their aperture. I'm sure these will give many, many hours of viewing pleasure.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:49 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I’m definitely interested in a comparison between the 120mm Bino vs 150mm kinda Bino
Old 14-12-2017, 08:14 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I’m definitely interested in a comparison between the 120mm Bino vs 150mm kinda Bino
No contest on resolution of optics, the TOA's 150mm has the advantage there... as the resolution of the binoscope remains that which a 120mm scope can deliver but it will be interesting to actually see them side by side.
Phil and I both have Panoptic 24mm pairs so that being the closest we will use them.
In the TOA150 they give 46x, 3.26mm and 1.48º
In the TSA120 they give 38x, 3.16mm and 1.78º

Should be fine for such an informal comparison....

Obviously the main differences are that Phils binoviewers will dim the image each eye receives (reputedly to about the same as a single TSa120) while the 'binocular summation factor' theory, if it really happens, should make the views in the Bi-Tak stand out more than the 120mm aperture suggests.

I promise neither of us will do any self harm should the other scope provide a better view
Old 14-12-2017, 09:56 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

If the brain interpolates the signals correctly then the theoretical resolution of the TSA120 pair could be the width of both objectives (300mm?) although the light gathering power would be maybe ~ 140mm?
Old 15-12-2017, 06:48 AM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
If the brain interpolates the signals correctly then the theoretical resolution of the TSA120 pair could be the width of both objectives (300mm?) although the light gathering power would be maybe ~ 140mm?
Unfortunately that won't be the case, I highly doubt that the brain will work as an interferometer would, thus the actual resolution will still be limited by the individual aperture of the scopes, but the improved 'SNR' should allow one to see what is there better using the binoscope than a single. That is where the binocular summation factor comes in.

Some people argue that the binocular summation factor is about 1.4x, others will tell you it is dependent on whether you're viewing extended objects or bright point sources. I have read argument for anywhere between 1.2x and 1.7x.

Using the 1.4x as an example, a 120mm binoscope would give a perceived image brightness about equal to a 168mm single scope. I have my doubts about that. Introducing binoviewers into a single scope means that the brightness perceived by each eye is less, usually quoted as about 70-75%. That (in theory) would mean that the TOA150 image would be dimmer than a 120mm single scope. (150x75%+112.5)

Another point to consider is that binocular use for people with an imbalance in their sight (one eye much better than the other) can actually reduce the perceived brightness. (Fechner's Pair of Ducks ) which suggests that the brain will average the signal of two eyes where they are different and in those cases the person's good eye alone would see a brighter view than with both eyes...

It will be a nice experiment (albeit a rather expensive one ).

I will also be keen to see if any 3D effects are noticeable.
Using the binoscope certainly has a huge comfort factor in that my 'floaters' are all but invisible even at 120x and above....

What I am really looking forward to is high power lunar viewing in the binoculars....

Last edited by Kunama; 15-12-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 15-12-2017, 11:02 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Be interesting to use it one day, considering my difficulty using binoculars or binoviewers. I tried a pair of Vixen bino-telescopes and found integration easier by far with those than with a binoviewer.

I am VERY left eye dominant, and this is part of the integration issue - I have to FORCE my right eye to "see".
Old 18-12-2017, 12:48 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Looks might fine and heavy Matt.....bring it down and mount it on my mount while your doing the GP thing perhaps? Would love to look through it.

Like Lewis I’m very left eye dominant......binoviewing is no problem with the correct set up, very much along the lines you just described F.R. your binoscope.

M