Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 11-12-2017, 02:52 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Brent

Quote:
Most of the stuff I see is just another variation on a phone holder
Which is exactly what i need at present,
and a 3D printer could make one very easily.

Andrew
( Just broke ankle and zimmerframe has no way to hold phone
or attach a std holder )
Old 11-12-2017, 04:38 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Oh Geez Andrew, that's a bit of a bummer. Sorry I can't help there but there's probably a few who are already leaping into the task to use their printer for a real job.
( C'mon guys, who's first off the rank ? )
Old 11-12-2017, 06:09 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Brent
No need for anybody to do anything,
i just got a shirt with more pockets
( theres more than one way to skin a cat )
Just pointing out that a humble phone holder sometimes can be
a very valid project.

Andrew
Old 12-12-2017, 07:54 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
Gday Brent
No need for anybody to do anything,
i just got a shirt with more pockets
( theres more than one way to skin a cat )
Just pointing out that a humble phone holder sometimes can be
a very valid project.

Andrew
Agreed, but you only need one ....... till you change phones..

Take care eh ?
Old 12-12-2017, 10:16 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Andrew, A stroke took away my left arm and i had to learn to walk again, barely with a stick. I'm already a walking zombie, don't be a walking phone zombie, they arent that important. And yes I make things to help my disability but havent yet bothered hanging crap off my walking stick, pare down to real essentials and have a good pocket is all you actually need.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:07 AM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Sil

Sorry to hear re your situation.
Quote:
don't be a walking phone zombie, they arent that important.
After seeing some of the other poor sods in casualty, i felt positively lucky to only have a simple fracture, but that said, it needed surgery to stabilise it, then 6 weeks of no load bearing. As such, i need to keep a phone with me at all times for the first weeks or so, in case i need to call for help ( or get my next appointment details )
Quote:
pare down to real essentials
Already have
I got a mate to buy me an "executive chair" on castors.
Then we made a few aluminium ramps to get over carpet edges etc and now i can fang it all around the house using only one leg.
Just reading old novels now waiting for the cricket to start

Andrew
Old 13-12-2017, 08:31 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
.... now i can fang it all around the house

Andrew
Way to go !
Old 13-12-2017, 06:27 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Hi Sil,
Been checking those out but I still don't see anything I'd want to print. My interest is in building new components for scopes , bikes etc. Most of the stuff I see is just another variation on a phone holder or some wee sculpted critter.
I need to get my head around using 3D design software to build eg Scope truss brackets or focuser components. I don't do model planes, rockets, robotics, drones or whatever so no desire to go there. I want stuff I can actually use and cannot be fabricated easily any other way. At present the Lathe\mill manages most of this.
But I'll keep looking and checking just to see if something changes my mind.. Must be a good reason somewhere. If and when then I'll be in like Flynn..
The thing is that most online videos show people printing off useless gadgets with bright coloured filaments, but there's so much more that can be achieved with a 3D printer. Although they may only print plastic it doesn't mean that you only have to make things in plastic. You can always combine it with other materials and together with some electronics the amount of use increases, but things don't always have to be functional.

Sometimes you find that you want to make something look aesthetically more pleasing. Everyone likes a pretty bike. I find that most people just print something and leave it at that which is perfectly fine. However, in the real world most things go through some kind of finishing process which might be something to add to your prints (Useful for prototypes and presentations).

A couple of little things I've made for my astro gear are:
Filter wheel housing. It's a cheap manual one which sometimes let stray light so I made a new one that's better sealed and also eliminates dust from getting in there as well.

Focuser housing. The old one looked liked a retro TV remote that wouldn't close with the battery in place. Now the battery fits properly, it's ergonomically friendly and has nice modern curves.

While these aren't overly complex or sophisticated things they are useful for me.
Old 18-04-2018, 12:10 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but here's a heads-up for anyone interested in a bargain "unbox-and-print" 3D printer:

HobbyKing are selling the Fabrikator v2 for around AU$210:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/mini-fab...html?wrh_pdp=6

This price may not last long – until recently it was selling for around AU$280.

This printer only has a 100 x 100 x 100 build volume, but it has an all-metal frame and heated bed (and Wi-Fi / Mobile monitoring) so I think it's a pretty good buy if you can grab one before the price goes back up.

I just bought one, and it was delivered just 4 days after I paid for it – and I have to say it's a great little printer. Yes, the build volume is small, but straight out of the box (no assembly required), the quality is fantastic – excellent detail, minimal stringing, handles overhangs well, etc. With its all-metal frame and mechanicals, it's absolutely solid – and this shows up in the quality of the prints I'm getting, right from Day 1.

I would highly recommend this printer for anyone who is thinking of dabbling with 3D printing for the first time – at the current price, it's not a lot of cash to risk. It would also be good as a true desktop printer for anyone who already has a larger printer in their workshop. (With a footprint of 180 x 190 – or 180 x 300 including the spool holder mounted on the back of the unit with a filament spool installed – it really can sit on your office desk next to your computer.)

(And if any IISers in the Brisbane area need some small custom plastic parts made, drop me a PM - I'd be happy to knock out some samples.)
Old 18-04-2018, 01:19 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

So...I want to make something say a chess piece. What is the process ...take a photo ? Or as I suspect do a design drawing in a cad type program.
Alex
Old 18-04-2018, 01:24 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
So...I want to make something say a chess piece. What is the process ...take a photo ? Or as I suspect do a design drawing in a cad type program.
Alex
Your feeling is right - CAD package is the answer...
Photos (number of them) can be used to build a 3D model... in CAD package.
Old 18-04-2018, 02:31 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

In many cases (eg chess pieces), somebody else will already have modelled what you want to make, so another option is to download the 3D model file from the Web. There are lots of sites to look at, depending on what you are planning to make, but Thingiverse can be a good starting point.
Old 18-04-2018, 05:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Julian that is good to know.
But if you wanted a part for a secret invention that will enable one to take over the world what do you do...do you know which programs you would use to design something you only have in your head.
I have a astronomy mount in mind and although I made one up in cardboard to show it to folk in three d it would be great if I could print one out...
Alex
Old 18-04-2018, 05:15 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thank you Julian that is good to know.
But if you wanted a part for a secret invention that will enable one to take over the world what do you do...do you know which programs you would use to design something you only have in your head.
I have a astronomy mount in mind and although I made one up in cardboard to show it to folk in three d it would be great if I could print one out...
Alex
Try 123D from Autodesk.
It is freeware.

There are others, but maybe less intuitive (Sketchup, OpenSCAD, Freecad... for example).
More here.
I am using 123D and ACAD
Old 18-04-2018, 05:25 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Try 123D from Autodesk.
It is freeware.

There are others, but maybe less intuitive (Sketchup, OpenSCAD, Freecad... for example).
More here.
I am using 123D and ACAD
Thank you Bojan.
Alex
Old 18-04-2018, 06:48 PM
theodog (Jeff)
Every photon is sacred !

Another for 123D design software.
I was a complete novice at 3D printing when I started, all pictured were designed in 123D before printing.
Other things that have been printed are focus masks for the 14" RC and light baffles for same.
Great software with plenty of help and tutorials online.
Projects in conjunction with Arduino.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (3D Prints.jpg)
192.1 KB21 views
Old 18-04-2018, 07:08 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodog View Post
Another for 123D design software.
I was a complete novice at 3D printing when I started, all pictured were designed in 123D before printing.
Other things that have been printed are focus masks for the 14" RC and light baffles for same.
Great software with plenty of help and tutorials online.
Projects in conjunction with Arduino.
Yes..
The only problem for me was inability to "snap" on end, middle, grid etc.
I solved this by making drawing/sketch in LibreCAD first.
Then I import dxf file into 123D.
I found that by using this method it is much easier to control the accuracy of complicated extrusions.

123D can then export stl files - which are accepted by slicers.
Old 18-04-2018, 07:54 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Alex - Bojan's list is a good place to start - but be aware that 3D CAD can be a pretty steep learning curve if you don't have a background in Engineering design / drafting.

I'm currently using OnShape, which is free for hobby users - if you are prepared to share all of your designs with other users. That works for me (I'm a big fan of the open-source "Maker" movement), but won't suit you if you want to develop a secret world-changing invention. You'd probably want a CAD system that allows your files to remain your property on your own hard-drive, rather than being stored "in the cloud". Something like TinkerCAD might be a better option if you're a beginner, and want full control / ownership over your designs.

Another thing to consider is that 3D Printing is only one of many manufacturing technologies, which all have their place. For thin flat parts, laser cutting may be a better option; for mechanical strength, CNC Machined metal parts could be considered; casting is still a great option for many applications; and so on.

Desktop 3D Printing is great where plastic is the "right" material, and for general "rapid prototyping" of all sorts of designs, but may not be the best option for "production" of the finished design.
Old 21-04-2018, 10:17 AM
Baza (Barry)

My Aldi printer just stopped heating. returned it Thursday. Exactly 6 months old.
Aldi warranty honoured no problem.